1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 May '14 20:38
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Tell that to a certain portion of catholic priests. 😕
    Evil men often use religion to cover their crimes.

Blame the evil men, not the religion.
  2. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 May '14 20:44
    Originally posted by Suzianne

if (hypothetically) the religion had a higher percentage of evil men than existed outside of the religion should we still blame evil men or should we blame the religion......or do both share the blame?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    09 May '14 21:47

If you can't blame religions for the bad things its members do, the religion
    can't take credit for any good it might do either.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    09 May '14 22:00

Can I blame the religion if it hides the evildoers from the authorities and moves them to another parish so they can start molesting a new crop of kids? 😕
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    10 May '14 09:36
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Can I blame the religion if it hides the evildoers from the authorities and moves them to another parish so they can start molesting a new crop of kids? 😕
    I worked at Ampelforth priory (it teaches children from 4 to 18 mostly borders) in north Yorkshire most of the catholic preists were pedos and were recalled to rome no charges were made there is now only 2 left teaching and when they retire proper teachers will fill their positions the point is the church(religion) hides its dirty washing so the religion is as much to blame as its flock.
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 May '14 09:581 edit

Sonship: Yea, we're all somewhat crazy. But there is a salvation from our damaged
    minds if we come to Jesus the Savior. Christ is sobriety. Christ had a perfectly normal
    mind.

Presumably those catholic priests I mentioned had already turned to jesus, them being
    catholic believers and all?
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    10 May '14 17:37

So about executing someone just for being gay.

Do you blame the men?

Or the religion?
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    10 May '14 17:51
    Sonship: Yea, we're all somewhat crazy. But there is a salvation from our damaged
    minds if we come to Jesus the Savior. Christ is sobriety. Christ had a perfectly normal
    mind.

Presumably those catholic priests I mentioned had already turned to jesus, them being
    catholic believers and all?
    I understand that child molesters will pretend to be priests to get to their victims. They don't care about the faith at all. I get that those actions are not exactly in the spirit of the religion, and I differentiate them, to a point, from actions taken by the religion.

But the religion is still on the hook for A) creating a climate that permits frequent abuse, and B) sheltering the abuser once they become aware of his activities. What they ought to be doing, aside from the obvious step of handing the accused over to the authorities to stand trial, is compensate the victims. The abuses, while perhaps not directly sanctioned by the religion's leaders, nevertheless occurred on their watch, under their organization's name. They should feel responsible for them on that level.

They should also re-examine the settings that led to abuse, and take the necessary steps to curtail it as much as possible. Interaction with minors should always be in the presence of multiple people.

I know of people outside the church who work with children, and they ALWAYS meet with the kids in a public place, which is quite sensible. The church should start learning this type of 'common' sense as well.
  9. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 May '14 19:45
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    They should also re-examine the settings that led to abuse, and take the necessary steps to curtail it as much as possible. Interaction with minors should always be in the presence of multiple people.
    Your entire reply is both excellent and considered, I agree with just about everything you
    wrote, so that's a rec for you friend (for whatever it's worth).

Just one question: how do you know these child molesting priests don't believe in jesus?
    Maybe they're struggling with their dark impulses, and pray to jesus every night to find the
    strength to resist?
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 May '14 14:231 edit
    Your entire reply is both excellent and considered, I agree with just about everything you
    wrote, so that's a rec for you friend (for whatever it's worth).

Just one question: how do you know these child molesting priests don't believe in jesus?
    Maybe they're struggling with their dark impulses, and pray to jesus every night to find the
    strength to resist?
    Some of them probably believe in Jesus, with varying degrees of fervency. One can be fighting themselves and yet still get into the priesthood with the primary motivation of finding victims. Sometimes the good part of ourselves ends up watching from the sidelines as the bad part makes all the key decisions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree