Why God Said Eat Meat

Why God Said Eat Meat

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Aug 11

Originally posted by jaywill
[b]================================
This would be the same unbelieving generation which he then proceeded to drown?
==================================

Could you spell out for me what this retort is suppose to imply ?

The account of Noah is rather simple to grasp. Thank God that He has a way to communicate to the human race essential mat ...[text shortened]... one ? That is like the thief who wants it to be made a law that stealing is not illegal.[/b]
Spelling out now.

You said:
It serves God's purpose to have Noah's life and actions testify to the surrounding unbelieving generation.

I then said:

I am implying that I find it odd that you would entertain the existence of a 'merciful' god whose idea of teaching folks a lesson involves the wholesale murder of almost the entire world population. But hey, each to their own. And of course, he planned it that way too, didn't he? Right from the beginning? I wonder if he was looking forward to the bit where he killed everybody but Noah...

Seriously though, you don't actually believe this all really happened, do you?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Aug 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
You're out by about 190,000 years!!!
Do tell?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Aug 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
Because man needs to be taught lessons and hands-on teaching is a good
method.
So when it said Thou shalt not kill, or murder, take your pick, it meant god could kill whatever it wanted, it could kill or murder what, millions of folk and leave the rest with a non-viable gene pool. Sure. The amazing thing is, here we are in the 21st century and people turn out to be so gullible they swallow all that crap hook line and sinker.

What do you think happens to species that come down to one reproducing set of adults?

Do you have any idea?

Can't you see how ridiculous all this sounds?

Because your god is ticked off at mankind, it kills EVERYTHING on the planet except for those in the arc?

Exactly what did all the animals of the savanna do to deserve that?

Your god brings on mass extinction and you believe that?

j

Moves
18 Aug 11
4 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Spelling out now.

You said:
It serves God's purpose to have Noah's life and actions testify to the surrounding unbelieving generation.

I then said:

I am implying that I find it odd that you would entertain the existence of a 'mercifu Noah...

=================================
I am implying that I find it odd that you would entertain the existence of a 'merciful' god whose idea of teaching folks a lesson involves the wholesale murder of almost the entire world population.
======================================

I find it odd that your idea of a merciful God is one who simply looks the other way when the entire world society is filled with violence and the imagination of people is ONLY evil CONTINUALLY.

Your idea of "mercy" seems to be drunk, unsober, befuddled and over endulged moral apathy with a warped permissiveness.

Anyway, I didn't stop reading the Bible at Genesis chapter 6. I went on and read and re-read the whole Bible.

For example, the book of Jonah is dedicated to the subject of this God's reluctance to have to judge a nations. Imagine, one whole book of the Bible whose main point is that He prefered NOT to have to judge a nation to the displeasure of one of His own human prophets.

So wise guys like you really do not impress me that you are sober minded considerers of the nature of God in the Bible.

So your idea of a righteous Governor of the universe is one who smiles on a world filled with bloody violence and evil imagination from sun up to sun down ?

I wonder if your father was a moral whimp. Did you ever get your butt strapped for screwing up ??? Did he mercifully allow you to do anything you wanted ALL the time ??? No matter HOW bad ???

You have kids? If you love them you will correct them. If you don't you'll be 100% permissive to their bad behavior.

=====================================
==============================

Yes. I believe the account of Noah's flood.

What came on the world then was something that people had never before seen. And what is about to come upon the world is again something that no one has ever seen.

The merciful part is that we know God has the power to both judge and to SAVE from judgment.

But hey, to each his own. Go worship the gods of absolute permissiveness.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Aug 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
So when it said Thou shalt not kill, or murder, take your pick, it meant god could kill whatever it wanted, it could kill or murder what, millions of folk and leave the rest with a non-viable gene pool. Sure. The amazing thing is, here we are in the 21st century and people turn out to be so gullible they swallow all that crap hook line and sinker.

What ...[text shortened]... of the savanna do to deserve that?

God's way is higher than our ways. You sound like a spoiled child
telling his parent what he should do.

j

Moves
18 Aug 11
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse

What of the savanna do to deserve that?

And what are you ? You concerned that your atheism just might not be true ? So you need to come back again and again to the Spirituality Forum to convince yourself that there is no God ?

The itch just won't go away. You must not be sure the Bible has no truth in it.
Are you really 70 years old ?

You still need to drowned out your doubts about your unbelief ?
Go live !

You're so sure the Bible is bogus, then go live and forget about it !
Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow you die. And with any luck and a wink from Atheism, you'll just obliviously melt away into the dust of the earth.

Go live sonhouse. Your yesterdays are more than your tomorrows. Go live your atheism to its full extent of joy.

I am here spreading the good news because Christ commanded me to do so.
That's why I come post.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
18 Aug 11

Do tell?
How do you reconcile the fact that the masses of genetic evidence point to your Biblical fairy tale being wrong?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Aug 11

Originally posted by Proper Knob
How do you reconcile the fact that the masses of genetic evidence point to your Biblical fairy tale being wrong?
I have no idea of the massive genetic evidence pointing to my Biblical fairy
tales being wrong. So just let me live in ignorant bliss for the rest of my days.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
18 Aug 11

I have no idea of the massive genetic evidence pointing to my Biblical fairy
tales being wrong. So just let me live in ignorant bliss for the rest of my days.
So just let me live in ignorant bliss for the rest of my days.

Lol!! I can grant you that, but on one condition...........no more claims about being interested in the truth please.

Z

Moves
18 Aug 11

Your big problem in being able to understand and/or accept this is
that you have no faith in God, whatsoever.
hehe, that's where you're wrong. i am religious, i believe in god. i even believe in the christian god, complete with jesus dying on the cross. the difference between you and me is that i believe god has better things to do than sending people to eternal damnation because they didn't believe a scientific impossibility, one that doesn't have anything to do with the spirit of christianity and is in fact a gruesome tale of genocide and infanticide, something that god, the true god would never do.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Aug 11

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
hehe, that's where you're wrong. i am religious, i believe in god. i even believe in the christian god, complete with jesus dying on the cross. the difference between you and me is that i believe god has better things to do than sending people to eternal damnation because they didn't believe a scientific impossibility, one that doesn't have anything t ...[text shortened]... gruesome tale of genocide and infanticide, something that god, the true god would never do.
You are a weird fellow.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Aug 11

[b]=================================
I am implying that I find it odd that you would entertain the existence of a 'merciful' god whose idea of teaching folks a lesson involves the wholesale murder of almost the entire world population.

I find it odd that your idea of a merciful God is one who simply looks ...[text shortened]... ment.

But hey, to each his own. Go worship the gods of absolute permissiveness.[/b]
Ah the joy of false dichotomy eh?

Reject murder of almost entire world population, therefore clearly in favour of "drunk, unsober, befuddled and over endulged moral apathy with a warped permissiveness".

Don't favour murderous, genocidal behaviour of creator, therefore clearly advocate "one who smiles on a world filled with bloody violence and evil imagination from sun up to sun down".

Tell you what though, since you know nothing at all about me or my family, why don't you wind your neck in on that subject? Then I won't feel obliged to question your parents or parenting skills. Fair enough?

It is possible to discuss these things without resorting to false arguments you know.

Go worship the gods of absolute permissiveness

Do you really interpret my post as suggesting that I would do this? No, of course you don't. It's a form of false argument. Is that the only sort of argument you do?

j

Moves
18 Aug 11
4 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Ah the joy of false dichotomy eh?

Reject murder of almost entire world population, therefore clearly in favour of "drunk, unsober, befuddled and over endulged moral apathy with a warped permissiveness".

Don't favour murderous, genocidal behaviour of creator, therefore clearly advocate "one who smiles on a world filled with bloody violence and e rse you don't. It's a form of false argument. Is that the only sort of argument you do?
This is what you wrote.

Take your medicine. The response was appropriate to your assinine caricature of God in the Bible.

I stand by it until I read something more reasonable from you on God's ways shown in the Bible.

If you didn't notice everything written there, others did:

"And Jehovah said, My Spirit will not strive with man forever, for he indeed is flesh ... " (Gen. 6:3)

God was striving with the human conscience of that generation, seeking to bring them to repentance. He said He would not strive forever. Year after merciful year the Spirit of God sought and strove to convict the consciences of these sinners in vain. There was a limit.

To have to judge grieved the heart of God - "And Jehovah repented that He had made man on the earth, and it grieved Him in His heart. And Jehovah said, I will blot out the man whom I have created from the surface of the ground ... for I repent that I have made them." (6:6,7)

Sure, I see lots of mercy in the whole Bible with God.
He made provision for my sins even before I was born.

Before I offended, God had already made provision for my justification in the redemption of Christ on Calvary some 2000 years ago.

Yea, I see a lot of merciful forebearance with the righteous and holy God.
You don't ? You find it "odd" that I see mercy as an attribute of God as well as righeousness as an attribute ?

I find you odd.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Aug 11

[b]=================================
So when it said Thou shalt not kill, or murder, take your pick, it meant god could kill whatever it wanted, it could kill or murder what, millions of folk and leave the rest with a non-viable gene pool. Sure. The amazing thing is, here we are in the 21st century and people turn out to be so gullible they swallow al ...[text shortened]... here spreading the good news because Christ commanded me to do so.
That's why I come post.
Yes I am 70 and I have seen plenty in my life thank you very much.

Atheists would never kill 99.999999% of the population just because this precious god of yours thought they were wicked. Not to mention every land animal too. So tell me oh wise one, why would he have to kill millions if not billions of beings not human because some humans were having too much fun?

Your head is buried in the sands of religion so deep you can't even see the obvious fallacies there. You need to get a real life, wake up and smell the roses, walk in a forest, feel the force of nature there and back off with the rambling rhetoric. Do you think you are actually going to convert someone here?

You and Dasa should get married, then you could blog blog blog all day long.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
18 Aug 11

This is what you wrote.

Take your medicine. The response was appropriate ...[text shortened]... as an attribute of God as well as righeousness as an attribute ?

I find you odd.
I made no caricature, asinine or otherwise. The scripture you refer to clearly details a supposedly merciful god eradicating the entire population of the planet with the exception of one man and his immediate family in order, you yourself asserted, to teach them a lesson.

Now, you will notice that despite your provocation, I have resisted the temptation to insult you, and I don't follow a religion that exhorts me to refrain from this sort of behaviour. You, on the other hand, have been quite generous in this regard. I ask you, is this what Jesus expects from his followers?

But no matter. I expect it places considerable strain on one's psyche if one bases one's worldview on a literal reading of the old testament and besides, I find myself indifferent to your opinion of me.