Why I am a Christian

Why I am a Christian

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
06 Nov 16

Originally posted by JS357
I am always curious about how long a thread like this will go on before someone says "But we need the eggs."
We, or I should say I, only need to pick up some milk.

Thanks for the reminder.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
06 Nov 16
2 edits

Originally posted by whodey
As I said, you get your comfort and reassurance from others, so you don't need God.
Your statement is illogical. As an atheist I don't believe in God. Period.

On what grounds would I seek and 'need' comfort and reassurance from something I do not believe exists?

If you are saying 'you don't need comfort from something you view as fictional', then I quite agree. If you are saying 'that I accept God exists but choose to seek my comfort elsewhere', you are incorrect.

And there was me thinking your befuddlement was confined to your politics.

F

Moves
06 Nov 16

Originally posted by KellyJay
Your failure you acknowledge Him doesn't mean He isn't there.
Your frequent resort to bumperstickerisms like this doesn't mean He is there.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
Your frequent resort to bumperstickerisms like this doesn't mean He [b]is there.[/b]
Neither is your gut feeling. But you are happy enough to use it.

F

Moves
07 Nov 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Neither is your gut feeling. But you are happy enough to use it.
I have never made any assertions about the reality we both live in based on my "gut feeling". You'd know this if you paid attention. It seems you simply don't listen to - or understand properly - anything that's said to you in a conversation.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
I have never made any assertions about the reality we both live in based on my "gut feeling". You'd know this if you paid attention. It seems you simply don't listen to - or understand properly - anything that's said to you in a conversation.
Oh so you don't believe we share the same reality? That's new.

F

Moves
07 Nov 16

Oh so you don't believe we share the same reality? That's new.
I have never insisted that what my spiritual self discerns about the world around us, and about our lives in it, also applies to you and have I have never in any way insisted that you should believe the same things as me.

I do not go down the same daft not-used-to-talking-to-people rhetorical route that you choose to go down where you continually allude to your own superstitious beliefs as being "universal truths" and "objective".

Your frequent [deliberately?] 'mistaken' references to what my "gut feeling" actually pertains to indicates pretty clearly that you do not seek to discuss the world and life in an honest and open minded way, as do your escape-hatch generic questions, the answers to which you never seem to listen to or address.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Nov 16

Originally posted by FMF
I have never insisted that what my spiritual self discerns about the world around us, and about our lives in it, also applies to you and have I have never in any way insisted that you should believe the same things as me.

I do not go down the same daft not-used-to-talking-to-people rhetorical route that you choose to go down where you continually allude to y ...[text shortened]... our escape-hatch generic questions, the answers to which you never seem to listen to or address.
Either we all share the same reality or we don't. If we do, then universal truth applies. If not, then there is no universal truth and we are wasting our time on these forums. So which is it?

F

Moves
07 Nov 16

Either we all share the same reality or we don't. If we do, then universal truth applies. If not, then there is no universal truth and we are wasting our time on these forums. So which is it?
Let me guess. You are telling me your beliefs constitute the "universal truth" and that those of people who have different beliefs from you do not? Is that more or less what you are peddling here on behalf of your religion?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Nov 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Let me guess. You are telling me your beliefs constitute the "universal truth" and that those of people who have different beliefs from you do not? Is that more or less what you are peddling here on behalf of your religion?
I believe that universal truth exists, i.e. two contradictory beliefs can't both be true at the same time. If I believe that there is a worm in an apple and you believe that the same apple doesn't contain a worm, then both of our beliefs cannot be true at the same time. There is either a worm in the apple or there isn't.

Let me guess, you believe everyone's view is equally true even if they are all contradictory?

F

Moves
07 Nov 16

Let me guess, you believe everyone's view is equally true even if they are all contradictory?
I believe what I believe and what I believe has been different at different times in my life. Much of what you say you believe seems to me to be far-fetched and unconvincing nonsense for the most part rooted in circular logic.

I would say that, in my view, what you claim about supernatural beings etc. etc. is as "equally true" as what Muslims and Hindus claim when they tell me about their superstitions.

When you constantly suggest that what you believe is the "universal truth", and (seemingly) seek to offer your certainty and sincerity as 'evidence', I think you are just being a bit silly and trying to wind people up.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Nov 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I believe what I believe and what I believe has been different at different times in my life. Much of what you say you believe seems to me to be far-fetched and unconvincing nonsense for the most part rooted in circular logic.

I would say that, in my view, what you claim about supernatural beings etc. etc. is as "equally true" as what Muslims and Hindus clai ...[text shortened]... nd sincerity as 'evidence', I think you are just being a bit silly and trying to wind people up.
I would say that, in my view, what you claim about supernatural beings etc. etc. is as "equally true" as what Muslims and Hindus claim when they tell me about their superstitions.

So why wouldn't you say that our beliefs are false? How can two contradictory beliefs logically be 'equally true'?

F

Moves
07 Nov 16

So why wouldn't you say that our beliefs are false? How can two contradictory beliefs logically be 'equally true'?
What you believe strikes me as being no more or less "true" than what other religionists, like Muslims and Hindus, believe. It's all much of a muchness to me. "Equally true" in that sense. Personally, I think you are all mistaken. But, who knows, maybe I am too. Maybe the Muslims are right. Maybe the Christians are right. Maybe the Hindus are right. Maybe they are all right ~ and God has revealed himself in different ways in different contexts at different times ~ so maybe they are all right... minus the mundane partisan doctrinal overreach that is part and parcel of human nature.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Nov 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
What you believe strikes me as being no more or less "true" than what other religionists, like Muslims and Hindus, believe. It's all much of a muchness to me. "Equally true" in that sense. Personally, I think you are all mistaken. But, who knows, maybe I am too. Maybe the Muslims are right. Maybe the Christians are right. Maybe the Hindus are right. Maybe they a ...[text shortened]... right... minus the mundane partisan doctrinal overreach that is part and parcel of human nature.
Maybe the Muslims are right. Maybe the Christians are right. Maybe the Hindus are right. Maybe they are all right...

That makes no logical sense. Logically they are either all wrong or if one is right, the rest are wrong. They can't logically all be right. Or do you not believe in the law of non-contradiction?

F

Moves
07 Nov 16
1 edit

That makes no logical sense. Logically they are either all wrong or if one is right, the rest are wrong. They can't logically all be right. Or do you not believe in the law of non-contradiction?
I explained my view on this before in a direct response to a question you asked me. It was only a few weeks ago. Have you really forgotten that you asked it? Have you really forgotten that I answered it?