1. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8551
    24 Apr '18 12:292 edits
    How could I possibly believe the Bible when it speaks of a talking serpent ? I'll attempt to explain why I take the account literally.

    " Now the serpent was more crafty than every other animal of the field which Jehovah God had made. And he said to the woman, Did God really say, You shall not eat of any tree of the garden?

    And the woman said to the serpent, Of the fruit of the trees of the garden we may eat. But of the fruit of the tree which is in the middle of the garden, God has said, You shall not eat of it, nor shall you touch it, lest you die.

    And the serpent said to the woman, You shall not surely die! But God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will become like God, knowing good and evil." (Genesis 3:1-5)
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    A Spirited Misfit
    in London
    Joined
    14 Mar '15
    Moves
    8496
    24 Apr '18 12:49
    Originally posted by @sonship
    How could I possibly believe the Bible when it speaks of a talking serpent ? I'll attempt to explain why I take the account literally.

    [b]" Now the serpent was more crafty than every other animal of the field which Jehovah God had made. And he said to the woman, Did God really say, You shall not eat of any tree of the garden?

    And the w ...[text shortened]... l be opened, and you will become like God, knowing good and evil." (Genesis 3:1-5)
    [/b]
    I'll resist the obvious rebuttal of the talking snake as 'just plain silly' and make the more interesting contrast with Numbers 22:

    "Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” And Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a fool of me. I wish I had a sword in my hand, for then I would kill you.” And the donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your donkey, on which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Is it my habit to treat you this way?” And he said, “No.”


    Here we see Balaam's donkey speaking truth, as opposed to the talking snake speaking words intended to deceive.
  3. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8551
    24 Apr '18 13:113 edits
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I'll resist the obvious rebuttal of the talking snake as 'just plain silly' and make the more interesting contrast with Numbers 22:

    "Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” And Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a fool of me. I wish ...[text shortened]... aam's donkey speaking truth, as opposed to the talking snake speaking words intended to deceive.
    I think you brought out a significant point in that the other example of an animal speaking is of one of speaking truthfully.

    The miracles of the Bible often come in pairs of two.
    An astounding miracle is often matched with another one like it.

    It is almost as if you can hear God say "That's right. You read it right."

    You brought that out. But I appreciate you noticing that the pair of talking animals differ in content of what is being said - subtle LiE verses candid TRUTH.

    There is another strange similarity. In both cases the humans seem not to be surprised that the creature is speaking. The woman seems to take it as run of the mill and Balaam seemed not shocked either.

    Any thought on that?
  4. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8551
    24 Apr '18 13:19
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I'll resist the obvious rebuttal of the talking snake as 'just plain silly' and make the more interesting contrast with Numbers 22:

    "Then the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?” And Balaam said to the donkey, “Because you have made a fool of me. I wish ...[text shortened]... aam's donkey speaking truth, as opposed to the talking snake speaking words intended to deceive.
    I'll resist the obvious rebuttal of the talking snake as 'just plain silly' and make the more interesting contrast with Numbers 22:


    I cautiously learned from studying the Bible that there seems to be traps in which one could easily take simplicity to be naivete.

    At first it seemed like I was reading a comic.
    But latter as I read on I thought - "No, there is something more profound being communicated here."

    I would advise new Bible readers - Don't mistake simplicity for naivete.
  5. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8551
    24 Apr '18 13:35
    So we have a talking serpent. How could this be??

    Everyone knows that an animal is not suppose to speak in human language.

    But perhaps this is a point that God wants us to notice:

    Something is occurring which should NOT be occurring.
    But even more serious - Somethings is being said which should NOT be being said.

    The astounding irregularity of what a TALKING SNAKE is accompanied with something even more out of place -
    The questioning of God's word,
    the questioning of God's motive,
    the suggesting of taking another way besides God's way.

    God has a job to do. He has a job of communicating with human beings that something CONTRARY to what should be proper, normal, the plan as it would be from God's heart, has occurred.

    God has this communication to convey to human being of many, many cultures down through many, many changing societies of varied levels of technical ability and knowledge. And He has to communicate the same thing to ALL of them.

    He allowed things to happen is such a way that they carry the same effect on human minds regardless of the passing epochs of human history.

    We all know that a beast is not suppose to talk.
    But WHAT is being said is as out of place as HOW it is being said. That injected thought that God has something bad in His heart towards His creature human beings - that is equally astounding. That God would not tell the truth? That is more astounding.

    "And the serpent said to the woman, You shall not surely die!"


    He is saying that God has lied.
    The thought that God lies must be presented in astounding terms as among things which JUST CANNOT BE.
    How can God the ground of being, One of whom a greater cannot be imagined, not be a God of truth?
  6. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8551
    24 Apr '18 13:422 edits
    Before I continue I'd like to let people know that as a kid I loved snakes. Whenever I went to the zoo I would spend the most time at the reptile house. I loved snakes.

    I hunted snakes and caught them for pets (if they were suitable). I also purchased a king snake through the mail. You could do that many years ago. They'd send you a snake of your choice in a box with holes in it so that it could breath.

    I loved that king snake. But he was an escape artist and no cage I built could keep him. He finally got away, to my heartbreak.
  7. Standard memberSecondSon
    Forum Saver
    In the Light
    Joined
    18 Dec '16
    Moves
    353
    24 Apr '18 13:51
    Hey! The Bible says God raised Jesus from the dead. If that's true, then the rest is easy.

    God created the universe from nothing, including the space it occupies. Making a talking snake and a donkey is no big deal.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86276
    24 Apr '18 14:08
    Originally posted by @sonship
    In both cases the humans seem not to be surprised that the creature is speaking. The woman seems to take it as run of the mill and Balaam seemed not shocked either.
    Any thought on that?
    Yes, maybe it’s not real and the stories are parables.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86276
    24 Apr '18 14:09
    Originally posted by @secondson
    Hey! The Bible says God raised Jesus from the dead. If that's true, then the rest is easy.

    God created the universe from nothing, including the space it occupies. Making a talking snake and a donkey is no big deal.
    It’s not about difficulty.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86276
    24 Apr '18 14:09
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Before I continue I'd like to let people know that as a kid I loved snakes. Whenever I went to the zoo I would spend the most time at the reptile house. I loved snakes.

    I hunted snakes and caught them for pets (if they were suitable). I also purchased a king snake through the mail. You could do that many years ago. They'd send you a snake of your choice ...[text shortened]... was an escape artist and no cage I built could keep him. He finally got away, to my heartbreak.
    Ok, you loved snakes as a kid.

    Got it.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86276
    24 Apr '18 14:11
    Originally posted by @sonship
    So we have a talking serpent. How could this be??

    Everyone knows that an animal is not suppose to speak in human language.

    But perhaps this is a point that God wants us to notice:

    Something is occurring which should NOT be occurring.
    But even more serious - Somethings is being said which should NOT be being said.

    The astounding irregularity o ...[text shortened]... ow can God the ground of being, One of whom a greater cannot be imagined, not be a God of truth?
    The snake cannot form words as we know them, so how could it have been literally “talking”?
  12. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8551
    24 Apr '18 14:14
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    The snake cannot form words as we know them, so how could it have been literally “talking”?
    I think it was miraculous - a supernatural event.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86276
    24 Apr '18 14:16
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I think it was miraculous - a supernatural event.
    Like the bush talking? As in not actually talking but more god making talking sounds through it?
  14. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8551
    24 Apr '18 14:19
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Ok, you loved snakes as a kid.

    Got it.
    A guy can't reminisce for a moment?

    I thought you were all for a lighter moment.
  15. Standard membersonship
    the corrected one.
    Joined
    03 Jan '13
    Moves
    8551
    24 Apr '18 14:20
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Like the bush talking? As in not actually talking but more god making talking sounds through it?
    No, not like any speaking bush.
    The Angel of Jehovah spoke in a burning bush.

    Reading carefully helps.
Back to Top