Why is god a 'he'?

Why is god a 'he'?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
16 Nov 06

This is a clear case of anthropomorphosis (heh).

Why would he have sexual organs? Is he going to reproduce? Of course not. So if 'he' has no genetals, what is it about 'him' that makes 'him' a 'him'? Nothing!

'It' seems a more sensible pronoun to use.

On a more serious note, this is an example of how people assume that god is like a person. This is very very unlikely. I very much doubt it gets angry about the kind of things we assume it gets angry about. We attribute ego and vanity to it. We think it wants to be loved and worshiped and gets angry and vengeful. These are human traits. I have a feeling it would be above all that, if it existed, whatever 'it' is.

I doubt we could begin to imagine what the creator (if it exists) wants us to do and say and think, if it cares at all.

Christians...... what do you think?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by twiceaknight

Why would he have sexual organs? Is he going to reproduce? Of course not. So if 'he' has no genetals, what is it about 'him' that makes 'him' a 'him'? Nothing!

On a more serious note, this is an example of how people assume that god is like a person. Th ...[text shortened]... to do and say and think, if it cares at all.

The bible gives many examples of god getting angry.

c

Moves
17 Nov 06

Yes, god does get angry too. If you didn't already know that, start getting used to the idea. I've asked this question in another thread, but unfortunately, I think no one offered an answer.

Consider this:

Osama bin Laden was so pissed with the Americans. He is convinced that they are evil. In fact, he thinks the Americans should die for their wickedness! So how does to go about achieving his goal? Quite simple, really. He hijacked air planes and told his fools to crash them into the towers. There were explosions and the the towers came crumbling down to the ground. So many people died. Americans, Chinese, Japanese, Arabs, and yes, even children and infants. So Osama was pleased with himself. He declared that he has achieved his objective more than he had expected!

Many years ago, God was also so pissed with us humans. I don't know what drove him, really. But one fine day, he decided that we're all very naughty. So he decided to end us all. So how does he go about it? Well, simple really. He told this guy to build a big boat. It took this guy many years to complete the task apparently. Then all the animals in pair assembled in it, plus some immediate family members. And then god flooded the entire world. Everybody died, including old folks, women, children and infants. I can imagine even unborn foetuses also died in the flood. So god was pleased with himself. He has achieved his objective. We no good humans have died, and god can start over again.

And so the question: Who is the psycho, God or Osama?

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by ckoh1965
Yes, god does get angry too. If you didn't already know that, start getting used to the idea. I've asked this question in another thread, but unfortunately, I think no one offered an answer.

Consider this:

Osama bin Laden was so pissed with the Americans. He is convinced that they are evil. In fact, he thinks the Americans should die for their wickedn ...[text shortened]... died, and god can start over again.

And so the question: Who is the psycho, God or Osama?
Uh...both?

c

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by rwingett
Uh...both?
LOL.... one donut for you!!

j

Moves
17 Nov 06
2 edits

On a more serious note, this is an example of how people assume that god is like a person. Th to do and say and think, if it cares at all.

God is the only real "He". The unique "He" and male is God.

In eternity future the saved are depicted as a collective female, the Bride and Wife of God. So in God's eyes, in one level, we are all female.

He is the Father begetting many sons and daughters on one level:

"I will dwell among them and walk among them; and I will be their God, and they will be My people ... And I will be a Father to you, and you will be sons and daughtters to Me, says the Lord Almighty" (2 Cor. 6:16-18 comp Hosea 1:10; Isa. 43:6)

Here you have the divine Father of sons and daughters. He will dwell in human beings who have been born of God - born of the divine Father to be a temple in which His life dwells and abides. Since they have His divine life they are His offspring.

On another level all the sons of God are sons not because they are males but because they all have His divine life. So the unique Father and Male of the universe has male "sons" and female "sons":

"He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be God to him, and he will be a son to Me" (Rev. 21:7)

We should understand this mention of "him" to mean both men and women. And we should understand this mention of "son to Me" not to mean male sex. But rather possessing the same divine life and nature as God so as to be an enlargement and continuation of the divine family.

All the collective "sons" of God, and all the collective "sons and daughters" of God are together viewed as a collective Wife and Bride and therefore a Woman. God is the unique male and the unique "He" in the universe. At best collectively we are all viewed as a "she."

Having said that ... it is also important to see that some definite female attributes are also said to belong to God. In Genesis 17 the All sufficient God in the Hebrew carries the word picture of a big breasted woman. In Genesis 17:1 the word picture of "I am the All-sufficient God; Walk before Me and be perfect" is that God is a larged breasted mother who has all-sufficiency of nourishment and supply.

There are other definitely female symbology to God elsewhere in Scripture as well. So the matter is not as simple as some would think.

But as the originator of this divine life, this eternal life which God dispenses into those who are redeemed through Christ, He is the Father and unique male progenitor. His life is in His Holy Spirit. And this divine life is spoken of as the SPERMA or seed of life causing those who receive Christ to be born of Him:

"Everyone who has been begotten of God does not practice sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been begotten of God" (1 John 3:9)

My point here is not a doctrine of sinless perfection. My point is that those begotten of God have God's seed within them - growing, developing, and conveying the sinless life of God into them. The maturity will bring them to be sons of God or sons and daughters of God as we saw above. The collective of all the sons together is the female Bride and Wife of the Lamb as seen in Revelation.

Christ loves the church as the unique husband. And as the wife of Adam came out of Adam, meaning Eve was taken out of Adam, so the wife and bride of Christ is taken out of Christ.

The one became two. And then the two became one. God is the unique "He". He is really the only valid "He". We are really all a collective "she" whether we be men or women.

But this short post does not cover all the aspects of the matter as seen in the Bible.

j

Moves
17 Nov 06
1 edit

I anticipate cracks and jokes about the big breasted woman concept (Gen. 17). Watch out. The usuals are coming with thier twisted humor.

s

Moves
17 Nov 06

Indeed, not very christian of him.

s

Moves
17 Nov 06

Originally posted by jaywill
God is the only real "He". The unique "He" and male is God.

In eternity future the saved are depicted as a collective female, the Bride and Wife of God. So in God's eyes, in one level, we are all female.

He is the Father begetting many sons and daughters on one level:

[b]"I will dwell among them and walk among them; and I will be their God, ...[text shortened]... ot cover all the aspects of the matter as seen in the Bible.
Do you seriously believe all that BS?

j

Moves
17 Nov 06
2 edits

Originally posted by sugiezd
Do you seriously believe all that BS?
No I don't seriously believe all that BS. I seriously believe all that truth.

It may sound funny all condensed and compacted together in one short post. That is why I said that my post did not cover all aspects of the subject matter.

But in Genesis when God says of Adam that it was not good for him to be alone, we are also seeing a window into God's own heart. The account of Adam and the building of Eve (for the language says that she was builded from a rib of Adam) is a corner study into the relationship of God to man.

There in Genesis wife came out of the man and was brought to the man that they two may become one. This is a window into the whole plan of God. Sometime compare the last two chapters of the Bible with the first two chapters of the Bible. See how many similarities you can find.

The building of the wife out of the life of Adam is a picture of the building of the Wife of the Triune God - the New Jerusalem - out of the life of the Triune God.

There is a marriage in the beginning of the Bible. And there is a universal marriage at the end of the Bible. It was not good for the man to be alone. And it was not good that the unique Triune God be alone.

There are many hints and indications of the eternal plan of God hidden in the natural creation. His eternal purpose is portrayed in many ways in the things created. They should be studied along with the word of God.

s

Moves
17 Nov 06

No I don't seriously believe all that BS. I seriously believe all that truth.

It may sound funny all condensed and compacted together in one short post. That is why I said that my post did not cover all aspects of the subject matter.

But in Genesis when God says of Adam that it was not good for him to be alone, we are also seeing a window into God's ...[text shortened]... rtrayed in many ways in the things created. They should be studied along with the word of God.
You are too far gone, beyond hope.

t

Moves
17 Nov 06

(This isn't directed at you rwinget, but your response leads me to say..)

Thats my point.......the bible is ridiculous. The creator wouldn't have human emotions. Little people like us wouldn't affect its mood at all. It is so arrogant of people to think that what they do and say makes any difference to the creator. The creator of the universe is so much bigger than a tempramental, vindictive child. Surely......

God did not create us in his image.........We created God in ours.... a very shallow and intellectually baron act. The bible is nonsense in this respect.

The God as defined by Christianity is like a person. I can't believe this. I'm sorry, it is a patheticly shallow and stupid understanding of what a god would be. I don't want to offend anybody, but it irritates me when people get tunnel vision. "The bible is correct because it says so in the bible." Christians....please please open your minds and think logically, for your own sakes.

j

Moves
17 Nov 06

(This isn't directed at you rwinget, but your response leads me to say..)

Thats my point.......the bible is ridiculous. The creator wouldn't have human emotions. Little people like us wouldn't affect its mood at all. It is so arrogant of people to think that what they do and say makes any difference to the creator. The creator of the universe is so ...[text shortened]... ." Christians....please please open your minds and think logically, for your own sakes.
Do you mean that the Creator would not display fallen emotions of the man ruined by sin?

Or do you mean that the Creator would not display glorious and virtuous emotions as manifested in the life of Jesus Christ?

He shows emotions and said that He drew His people with the chords of a man, ie. the emotions which are quite identifiable as human. "bands of love":

" I drew them with cords of a man, With bands of love..." (Hosea 11:4)

You should not ascertain God's emotions through the fallen and damaged mankind who has been Satanified. You should see how God's divine attributes are ultimately manifested in the human virtues expressed in Jesus the man.

Jesus Christ defines, explains, declares, and manifests God to us:

"No one has ever seen God; the only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him." (John 1:18)

t

Moves
17 Nov 06
1 edit

Do you mean that the Creator would not display fallen emotions of the man ruined by sin?

Or do you mean that the Creator would not display glorious and virtuous emotions as manifested in the life of Jesus Christ?

He shows emotions and said that He drew His people with the chords of a man, ie. the emotions which are quite identifiable as human. [ y begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him." (John 1:18)
[/b]
I mean that god would niether have nor display any emotions that we would be capable of recognising, or understanding, or accurately interpreting.

This is because god is a deity, and we are mere mortals.

God is totally over our heads. It created the universe! How could we even begin to understand what it felt whilst acting in one way or another.

We on earth are no more likely to understand how god feels than an ant in an ant's nest would know how i felt if it saw me.

We exist in totally different realities.

All we can do is relate god's behaviour to ourselves, by giving it ridiculous human characteristics. We shouldn't bother because this is a pathetically inadequate way of analysing something that created the universe.

j

Moves
17 Nov 06

I mean that god would niether have nor display any emotions that we would be capable of recognising, or understanding, or accurately interpreting.

This is because god is a deity, and we are mere mortals.

God is totally over our heads. It created the universe! How could we even begin to understand what it felt whilst acting in one way or another. ...[text shortened]... cause this is a pathetically inadequate way of analysing something that created the universe.
Well, the God that you discribe as being too removed to be of any significance is not the God of the Bible.

God can enter into time though He inhabits eternity. He can go along with man though sometimes we cannot go along with Him.

This is like the life of a parent with a child. The parent can go along the same level as the child. But the child may not be able to fellowship on the same level as the parent. This is because the difference in the degree of life.

There is ample indication in the Bible that God is transcendent over man's limited life. It speaks of His ways being higher then our ways even as the heavens are higher then the earth. But it doesn't only have this kind of teaching. It also reveals a God Who can come down to our level and commune and fellowship on our level.

So God can make Himself real to the child and the sage. God can meet the teenager and the aged elderly person. And lastly God manifests Himself to us ultimately in the Person of the Son Jesus Christ.

Check and see if in forcing God to be so different and so removed and high that you actually are reducing God to some kind of meaningless force or vibration. This could be just a mechanism to avoid having to deal with the righteousness of a God to Whom we are morally accountable.

Do not be tempted to push Him away into such a transcendent realm that you don't feel the need to be forgiven by Him for your sins.