1. Wat?
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 04:49
    and not 'She' or 'It'?
    It is an ultimate entity, if it exists.

And why can't it be a 'She', just as much a 'He', for that matter?

Female comments are openly invited, so as for unsexist analogies to run a matter of true course. 😉

-m.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 05:01
    Originally posted by mikelom
    and not 'She' or 'It'?

Female comments are openly invited, so as for unsexist analogies to run a matter of true course. 😉

-m.
    Carrie Snow has an answer to that question.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 06:07
    Because She's in the kitchen making Him some PIE!!!
  4. Wat?
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 06:12
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Because She's in the kitchen making Him some PIE!!!
    😀
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 06:13
    and not 'She' or 'It'?

-m.
    Because most of the commentators are male. I have heard women refer to God as 'She', but none of them got recorded in the Bible or Church texts.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 10:191 edit
    and not 'She' or 'It'?

-m.
    Well, it is certainly true that Christianity has traditionally understood God as male. This is not to say, however, that God is physically male nor to exclude feminine qualities of God. Scripture does present readers with a number of maternal images of God. For example, God is described as a 'womb' (I think this is in Jeremiah.) Jesus himself likens himself to a hen, if I recall correctly. The reason God is male, at least as early Christians understood, is because of His double status as father of creation and husband to mankind.

It would be a mistake to read this as misogynistic or as a relic of Hebraic patriarchy. One of the implications of this theology is that mankind relates to God as a woman. Israel is the bride of God; the Church is the bride of Christ (see Ephesians 5.) Mankind, ironically, relates to God as a female. God's masculinity only affirms the dignity of womanhood as much as God loves and saves His Church.
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 11:16
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Well, it is certainly true that Christianity has traditionally understood God as male. This is not to say, however, that God is physically male nor to exclude feminine qualities of God. Scripture does present readers with a number of maternal images of God. For example, God is described as a 'womb' (I think this is in Jeremiah.) Jesus himself likens ...[text shortened]... masculinity only affirms the dignity of womanhood as much as God loves and saves His Church.
    Judeo-Christian or Islamic concepts of Religion are based on an Extra-Cosmic Creator,an Almighty,Omniscient"Individual" ruling from a heavenly abode,meeting out punishment to sinners and rewards to the virtuous.
    Man or woman is considered primarily a ' body" in which a created soul has been breathed into. Eve being created out of the rib of Adam,has to be inferior to Adam.In Islam the Woman's position is equally-if not more-inferior as compared to Man.
    Naturally the omniscient,omnipotent creator had to be called by a label of Maleness-He.
  8. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 17:38
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Judeo-Christian or Islamic concepts of Religion are based on an Extra-Cosmic Creator,an Almighty,Omniscient"Individual" ruling from a heavenly abode,meeting out punishment to sinners and rewards to the virtuous.
    Man or woman is considered primarily a ' body" in which a created soul has been breathed into. Eve being created out of the rib of Adam,has to ...[text shortened]... n.
    Naturally the omniscient,omnipotent creator had to be called by a label of Maleness-He.
    Eve coming from a Adam's rib is inferior to the man called Adam who came from some part of the earth? Some topsoil is superior to a rib bone? I do not know how God did the recreation but one way is as good as another. Side to side is even. I never have heard the Churches I have been in teach that the woman nor women are inferior. I have heard men and women complain about each other. What else is new?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 17:44
    and not 'She' or 'It'?

-m.
    Because, dunderhead, that's how He refers to Himself.

For crying out loud! Don't any of you atheists understand anything?
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 17:46
    God does have a feminine name or revelation. Most people do not know this?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 17:52
    Originally posted by gambit3
    God does have a feminine name or revelation. Most people do not know this?
    Not in the Bible.
  12. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 18:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    Not in the Bible.
    Yes it is.
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 18:153 edits
    Originally posted by josephw
    Because, dunderhead, that's how [b]He refers to Himself.

For crying out loud! Don't any of you atheists understand anything?[/b]
    No josephw, that's how you and your peers define it. This construct you refer to as "God" (where "God" here is a name) inherits all the traits of its primitive inventors, and so also inherits the masculinity of the, I assert, males which invented it.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 18:27
    Originally posted by Agerg
    No josephw, that's how [b]you and your peers define it. This construct you refer to as "God" (where "God" here is a name) inherits all the traits of its primitive inventors, and so also inherits the masculinity of the, I assert, males which invented it.[/b]
    So you say.

I guess that makes you the authority on God and the Bible.

I stand corrected oh almighty Agerg.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    10 Apr '11 18:29
    Originally posted by gambit3
    Yes it is.
    Put up or shut up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree