Why is God always referred to as 'He'...

Why is God always referred to as 'He'...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
12 Apr 11

Originally posted by Agerg
[b]If there was no God, we would not be here. If you will
not accept all of creation as proof of God's existence,
I know you will not accept His only begotten Son as proof.
You are in a sorry state.

If there had been no Gandalf, we would not be here. If you will not accept all of creation as proof of Gandalf's magical transformation of middle earth in ...[text shortened]... e Earth of the one ring as proof.
When Sauron rises again you will be in a very sorry state.[/b]
i see your gods are all masculine Agers, how disturbing.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
12 Apr 11

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i see your gods are all masculine Agers, how disturbing.
Gandalf wasn't a god...he was a very powerful wizard, The LoTR doesn't speak of female wizards that are equal to him in power, and so your point here is nonsense. Next you'll be attacking me for referencing Frodo (to whom you should be very grateful) as a male!

rc

Moves
13 Apr 11
1 edit

Gandalf wasn't a god...he was a very powerful wizard, The LoTR doesn't speak of female wizards that are equal to him in power, and so your point here is nonsense. Next you'll be attacking me for referencing Frodo (to whom you should be very grateful) as a male!
if he is not a god, then why are you seeking to make him synonymous with other gods
through a comparison? Is he not real? soooo you are advocating a sexist book that
has no equal status for women wizards, well, that's even more disturbing than I
initially thought.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
13 Apr 11
3 edits

if he is not a god, then why are you seeking to make him synonymous with other gods
through a comparison? Is he not real? soooo you are advocating a sexist book that
has no equal status for women wizards, well, that's even more disturbing than I
initially thought.
I merely present a true account of the way this world came to be based on logical extrapolation from the LoTR. Nowhere in the LoTR does it say Gandalf was a god! At no point have *I* said that Gandalf was a god!! 😵
Moreover, unless you can prove, without wishy-washy shrieks that it's all make-believe (based mostly upon your fear of Gandalf should you ever meet him when he returns again, and a pointless desire to champion your false `holy' book), that Middle Earth didn't exist then my faith is perfectly justified.

As for your comment about sexism in LoTR this is a thoroughly unfounded assertion...what do you know of what it was like in Middle Earth? Where you there!!!? 😕 indeed there were many imporant females the LoTR mentions such as Galadriel, and Éowyn - females to whom you should be grateful for your own existence!!! Now having thoroughly decimated your argument here I wait eagerly for your full retraction.

rc

Moves
13 Apr 11
1 edit

I merely present a true account of the way this world came to be based on logical extrapolation from the LoTR. Nowhere in the LoTR does it say Gandalf was a god! At no point have *I* said that Gandalf was a god!! 😵
Moreover, unless you can prove, without wishy-washy shrieks that it's all make-believe (based mostly upon your fear of Gandalf should you ever me ! Now having thoroughly decimated your argument here I wait eagerly for your full retraction.
if your god , i.e. the character of the book you are advocating is not a god, then he
is powerless to do anything and your form of worship is utterly futile. You shall
petition him and what shall he do? lets try it out, petition him for something? what is
more, it is clear that he provides no guidance, no direction, no principles with which
one may apply in ones life other than doing magical tricks like any old conjurer.
has he sent any emissaries to the earth, to communicate with humans so that they
may get to know him? no, well he is aloof and unknowable and you'd be better off
reading the beano. As for his stance on equality for women, apparently there are
no female wizards, hardly a convincing argument for equality, did he forget to
make them? citing lesser characters is simply a poor attempt at evasion, its clear
your god is sexiest and misogynistic to provide no details of equal status for
women. No recantation shall be made until evidence to the contrary is forthcoming.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
13 Apr 11
1 edit

if your god , i.e. the character of the book you are advocating is not a god, then he
is powerless to do anything and your form of worship is utterly futile. You shall
petition him and what shall he do? lets try it out, petition him for something? what is
more, it is clear that he provides no guidance, no direction, no principles with which
tatus for
women. No recantation shall be made until evidence to the contrary is forthcoming.
Well the mistake you make here is the binary supposition that a being must be able to do absolutely anything, or it can do nothing. Perhaps you'd like to prove once and for all that Gandalf was powerless!??

Oh and let's petition your god for something...how about magicking some imperishable food into the `homes' of the starving
*petitioning...*
*still petitioning.......*
*STILL petitioning!!!................*

Nope nothing on the news about any miracles that have occured in the world!
Your god does bugger all on this front!

Ok let's ask him for guidance on something:
*asking...*
*still asking.......*
*STILL asking!!!.................*

Nothing again, just the whirr of my computer fan is all I'm hearing at the moment!

Gandalf doesn't send anyone to do the sort of work he wouldn't do himself - so much for your elusive god who supposedly sent it's son to do the dying for him to fix his own mess!!!

Moreover, I don't question the ways of Gandalf or project upon him my own expectations of the nature of wizards.

rc

Moves
13 Apr 11

Well the mistake you make here is the binary supposition that a being must be able to do absolutely anything, or it can do nothing. Perhaps you'd like to prove once and for all that Gandalf was powerless!??

Oh and let's petition your god for something...how about magicking some imperishable food into the `homes' of the starving
*petitioning...*
*still pet ...[text shortened]... n the ways of Gandalf or project upon him my own expectations of the nature of wizards.
soo Gandalf is powerless, hardly a surprise is it. His form of worship is empty and
deviod, he is impotent as far as the adherent is concerned.

As for the case of starving people, my God created an abundance of food, it is the
greedy commercial system which prevents people from finding adequate food, not
my God. Perhaps Gandalf can help conjure up something.

Only today I petitioned my God for sustenance and covering, he has promised that if
I seek first the Kingdom, he wil look after me, and hey, he seems to be doing
alright, I have sustenance and covering and I feel thankful. Perhaps Gandalf is also
able to provide sustenance and covering, or perhaps he has fallen asleep in
impotence?

Gandalf has done nothing, can do nothing, can create nothing, can inspire no one,
can instil no values in anyone, a truly impotent entity and a sad figure for anyone to
base their hopes upon, for all will be disappointed.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
13 Apr 11
1 edit

soo Gandalf is powerless, hardly a surprise is it. His form of worship is empty and

As for the case of starving people, my God created an abundance of food, it is the
my God. Perhaps Gandalf can help con ...[text shortened]... ent entity and a sad figure for anyone to
base their hopes upon, for all will be disappointed.
soo soo Gandalf is powerless, hardly a surprise is it. His form of worship is empty and

Powerless! He remade the earth! Sounds pretty damned powerful to me!

my God. Perhaps Gandalf can help conjure up something.

Yeah right...so your god's making an example out of those who die of malnutrition to give the greedy a kick to their consciences eh?

Only today I petitioned my God for sustenance and covering, he has promised that if
I seek first the Kingdom, he wil look after me, and hey, he seems to be doing
alright, I have sustenance and covering and I feel thankful. Perhaps Gandalf is also
able to provide sustenance and covering, or perhaps he has fallen asleep in
impotence?

Yeah right, and I just found a suitcase of cash on the floor outside my gaff - nice one Gandalf!

rc

Moves
13 Apr 11
1 edit

soo soo Gandalf is powerless, hardly a surprise is it. His form of worship is empty and
Powerless! He remade the earth! Sounds pretty damned powerful to me!

greedy commercial system which prevents peop eah right, and I just found a suitcase of cash on the floor outside my gaff - nice one Gandalf!
pure bum, where is the earth your wizard made? nowhere, where is the earth my God
made, you are standing upon it. Is there enough food to feed the entire population of
the world, yes there is, yet its corrupt individuals and a mismanagement of the earth's
resources by ungodly men that prevents it reaching. Poor old Gandalf, he cannot
guarantee anything, impotent old codger.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
13 Apr 11

pure bum, where is the earth your wizard made? nowhere, where is the earth my God
made, you are standing upon it. Is there enough food to feed the entire population of
the world, yes there is, yet its corrupt individuals and a mismanagement of the earth's
resources by ungodly men that prevents it reaching. Poor old Gandalf, he cannot
guarantee anything, impotent old codger.
The earth Gandalf made is right here! Indeed answer me this, given that the LoTR is the true account of our history, and it mentions that middle earth existed, AND the most powerful wizard left standing after Sauron fell was Gandalf, who else could have made the world huh!??? 😕

Clear, and logical
in a fundie sense
proof that I am correct on this matter!

As for your assertion that there is enough food to go round, and that it is mismanagement on the part of humans which gives rise to starvation, then given your god's supposed boundless power we have to assume he's making an example out of those who die since those who mismanage our going to continue as such anyway!
As for impotent Gandalf, you wouldn't be here today were it not for his unimaginable (but not necessarily unbounded) potency!

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Apr 11

If anything, god is femenine, as in "mother nature".

rc

Moves
14 Apr 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
If anything, god is femenine, as in "mother nature".
tree worshipper!

rc

Moves
14 Apr 11

The earth Gandalf made is right here! Indeed answer me this, given that the LoTR is the true account of our history, and it mentions that middle earth existed, AND the most powerful wizard left standing after Sauron fell was Gandalf, who else could have made the world huh!??? 😕

Clear, and logical[hidden]in a fundie sense[/hidden]proof that I am correct on ...[text shortened]... ldn't be here today were it not for his unimaginable (but not necessarily unbounded) potency!
not convinced Agers, no middle earth, no evidence.

Moves
14 Apr 11
2 edits

Originally posted by mikelom
and not 'She' or 'It'?
It is an ultimate entity, if it exists.

And why can't it be a 'She', just as much a 'He', for that matter?

Female comments are openly invited, so as for unsexist analogies to run a matter of true course. 😉

-m.
Your god can be whatever you want it/she/them to be Mike.

The God of the Bible is always referenced in the masculine and whilst the tree-huggers and feminists may object, that is the way he is presented.

There are other aspects to consider though; the Bible says there will be no marriage in heaven and as existence will be eternal, there will clearly be no need for gender differentiation nor sexual reproduction.

It is my loosely held belief that the God of the Bible is both masculine and feminine (but not in some kind of androgynous way we may think of that) and that the gender differentiation was made explicit with Eve being taken out of Adam. God set up an order with Adam as the head over eve as a type of Christ being the head of the Church.

Humanists make much of the masculine nature of God, but for me it is God's method of demonstrating a heavenly order of Christ and his church on earth. I don't believe there will be any hierarchy in eternity which is based on temporal gender.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
14 Apr 11

Because Hebrew has no gender neutral pronouns and the translations continued the male gender form.