1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 19:15
    My impression is that many on this forum seem to think that atheism will some day prevail over those of us who are religious. They seem to think that man is evolving, of coarse, and will therefore one day evolve to a point of realization that religion is foolishness. Sceince will one day "explain away" the foolish beliefs that religion claims. In fact, many here already think we have arrived. What atheists do not seem to realize is that religious texts are not scientific texts. For example, the story of creation is very ambiguous in relation to the science behind the event. It is like comparing apples to oranges. I might as well take Darwins theories of evolution and rip them to shreds by exposing his lack of a moral substance using Biblical morality. His view of survival of the fittest is in direct conflict with the Biblical teaching that we should go out of our way to help those who are weaker and who are disinfranchized. Why should we waste our time and just let nature take its coarse? After all, we as a race will be better for it as we weed out the "weak" genes that cause us to falter.

What many do not realize is that the religon will always triumph over atheism. This is due to one reason which is relevance. What I mean is what is most relevant to you. Is it knowing every last detail of your origins and the origins of the universe or is relevance found in our pursuit of God's law of love? Which will have a greater impact for you on a personal level?
  2. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 21:48
    Originally posted by whodey
    My impression is that many on this forum seem to think that atheism will some day prevail over those of us who are religious. They seem to think that man is evolving, of coarse, and will therefore one day evolve to a point of realization that religion is foolishness. Sceince will one day "explain away" the foolish beliefs that religion claims. In fact, man ...[text shortened]... ursuit of God's law of love? Which will have a greater impact for you on a personal level?
    Your first paragraph made sense.
    Then you decided you hadn't written enough and completely buggered the whole thing up with your second paragraph.

Religion won't triumph over Atheism in the same way that as you rightly suggest Atheism won't triumph over Religion.
    The two will do their dueling into eternity (or until the end of the universe, or armageddon - depending on your viewpoint.)
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 22:26
    Originally posted by amannion
    Then you decided you hadn't written enough and completely buggered the whole thing up with your second paragraph.

Religion won't triumph over Atheism in the same way that as you rightly suggest Atheism won't triumph over Religion.
    The two will do their dueling into eternity (or until the end of the universe, or armageddon - depending on your viewpoint.)
    And then the universe splits into two parts, one universe that has a god and the other universe that does not. Unfortunately, the atheists will end up in the universe with a god....
  4. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    30 Mar '06 23:36
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And then the universe splits into two parts, one universe that has a god and the other universe that does not. Unfortunately, the atheists will end up in the universe with a god....
    Yeah wouldn't that just be the ultimate irony ....
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 01:09

My buggering (if that's a word) was trying to make a point. My point was that as human beings we have specific needs and desires. Love is perhaps the most vital of these needs. It is as important as food and water, if not more so. Religion, or at least Christianity, realizes this and is its focus. Christianity teaches that without love you are nothing. Evolution and science do not focus on such trivial things. One of the reasons is that love is not something tangible and measurable. From a scientific perspective love is viewed as a means of enhancing ones ability to survive and thrive. Love in and of itself does not exist as a previous thread stated. However, love has more relevance in my life than anything science can ever offer me. I enjoy science and it can enrich our lives on many different level, but for me science is a trivial pursuit in comparison to pursuing the source of all love.
  6. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 01:27
    My impression is that many on this forum seem to think that atheism will some day prevail over those of us who are religious. They seem to think that man is evolving, of coarse, and will therefore one day evolve to a point of realization that religion is foolishness. Sceince will one day "explain away" the foolish beliefs that religion claims. In fact, man ...[text shortened]... ursuit of God's law of love? Which will have a greater impact for you on a personal level?
    His view of survival of the fittest is in direct conflict with the Biblical teaching that we should go out of our way to help those who are weaker and who are disinfranchized.

I don't believe this.

I agree, religion will probably never die.
  7. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 02:00
    My buggering (if that's a word) was trying to make a point. My point was that as human beings we have specific needs and desires. Love is perhaps the most vital of these needs. It is as important as food and water, if not more so. Religion, or at least Christianity, realizes this and is its focus. Christianity teaches that without love you are nothing. ...[text shortened]... evel, but for me science is a trivial pursuit in comparison to pursuing the source of all love.
    Sorry 'bugger' is an Australian coloquial expression. Replace it with 'stuffed up' ro something that makes more sense to you.

Here's a challenge to you, since you claim love is so vital (and don't get me wrong I agree with you to an extent - our social connections are very important to us, of which love is one):

Stop eating and drinking right now.
    How long will love keep you alive?
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 02:042 edits
    Sorry 'bugger' is an Australian coloquial expression. Replace it with 'stuffed up' ro something that makes more sense to you.

Here's a challenge to you, since you claim love is so vital (and don't get me wrong I agree with you to an extent - our social connections are very important to us, of which love is one):

Stop eating and drinking right now.
    How long will love keep you alive?
    Forever!!!!!!!!! How does an eternity sound? A better question to you is how long is food and drink going to keep you alive? Perhaps another 30 to 40 years? God is love.
  9. Standard memberamannion
    Andrew Mannion
    Melbourne, Australia
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 02:09
    Forever!!!!!!!!! How does an eternity sound? A better question to you is how long is food and drink going to keep you alive? Perhaps another 30 to 40 years?
    Wow, that might sound great and inspirational and everything, but in the end I'll be alive still. After about 3 or 4 days without drinking - you won't be. Sorry - argue it how you like - tell me about how your God is going to keep you going despite all evidence to the contrary, but my challenge remains. Stop eating and drinking.
    No amount of spiritual mumbo jumbo, no amount of faith and belief is going to get you past the point where dehydration forces your heart, brain and other major organs to shut down.
    Love's nice to have, but give me a shot of water over it any day.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 02:19
    Forever!!!!!!!!! How does an eternity sound? A better question to you is how long is food and drink going to keep you alive? Perhaps another 30 to 40 years? God is love.
    Here is another question for you Whodey. When you are sick do you go to the doctor , hospital etc, or do you do as the Bible recommended :

James 5 :14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 02:25
    Wow, that might sound great and inspirational and everything, but in the end I'll be alive still. After about 3 or 4 days without drinking - you won't be. Sorry - argue it how you like - tell me about how your God is going to keep you going despite all evidence to the contrary, but my challenge remains. Stop eating and drinking.
    No amount of spiritual mumb ...[text shortened]... major organs to shut down.
    Love's nice to have, but give me a shot of water over it any day.
    Have you ever wondered if there were worse fates than death? For me a life devoid of love is such a fate.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 02:27
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Here is another question for you Whodey. When you are sick do you go to the doctor , hospital etc, or do you do as the Bible recommended :

James 5 :14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
    I do both. What does this have to do with anything?
  13. PenTesting
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 02:35
    I do both. What does this have to do with anything?
    So the elders of the Church annoint you with oil? What church is that?

You implied that love can keep you alive forever, so you must be talking about the love of or from God. Im just trying to find out if you think the love of God is going to keep you alive if you are sick as the Bible did not say to call a doctor.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 02:391 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    So the elders of the Church annoint you with oil? What church is that?

You implied that love can keep you alive forever, so you must be talking about the love of or from God. Im just trying to find out if you think the love of God is going to keep you alive if you are sick as the Bible did not say to call a doctor.
    Where in the Bible does it say that you should not seek a physician? If I recall, Luke was a medical physician. Are you suggesting that seeking medical help is somehow evil?
  15. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    31 Mar '06 02:44
    Religion may never completely die out, but it will become less and less of a factor in society. We see this process underway most notably in Europe, where the percentage of religious people is declining precipitously. The Czech Republic, for example, is 39% atheist. That's a whopping percentage that will only go up. The countries with the highest levels of education and the greatest standards of living are seeing their religious fervor wane. Only in underdeveloped, third world countries is religious devotion on the rise. But once their living conditions improve they'll follow the same path as the more developed countries.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree