Why There Is No God

Why There Is No God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
31 Oct 10

Originally posted by galveston75
I can tell....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgQHQ992Wnw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dkoSJt6xfY&feature=related
I would rather have something more tangible than some obscure location of some ruins of some old city. One of which is claimed to be the remains of some biblical event. Just because the narrator of that link says, "This couldn't have been done naturally", doesn't make it so.

Got any scientific analysis on this with references and processes to confirm that is a supernatural event?

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
31 Oct 10

Originally posted by tacoandlettuce
You know what's cool to these awesome videos is the fact that God purposely kept strong winds away from these cities obviously so archaeologists (more like HIS people growing closer to HIM) one day will come across them as proof! =]
It isn't proof though.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
31 Oct 10

I can tell....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgQHQ992Wnw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dkoSJt6xfY&feature=related
Here is another possibility. I am not suggesting this is definitely how it occurred, but it just shows that the biblical story hasn't been proven to be correct.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1497476.stm

Unstable area

Dr Harris thinks Sodom and Gomorrah were built on the shores of the Dead Sea so that they could trade in naturally-occurring asphalt.

This tarry substance was used in ancient times to waterproof boats and to hold stones together in buildings.

But the ground next to the Dead Sea is very unstable, lying on the joint between two of the Earth's tectonic plates which are moving in opposite directions.

The area is vulnerable to earthquakes.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
31 Oct 10

Originally posted by lausey
Here is another possibility. I am not suggesting this is definitely how it occurred, but it just shows that the biblical story hasn't been proven to be correct.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1497476.stm

Unstable area

Dr Harris thinks Sodom and Gomorrah were built on the shores of the Dead Sea so that they could trade in naturally-oc ...[text shortened]... plates which are moving in opposite directions.

The area is vulnerable to earthquakes.
Well if one does not believe in the Bible or God it usually makes one see things from a human viewpoint only. So that opinion from the gentleman in that link is to be expected.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
31 Oct 10

Well if one does not believe in the Bible or God it usually makes one see things from a human viewpoint only. So that opinion from the gentleman in that link is to be expected.
I am pointing out that there could be millions of possibilities, yet there is only one you subscribe to.

It is much more plausible that an earthquake occurred and destroyed the cities. People observed this and think it is a supernatural event because this was at a time where they were too ignorant to know better. This gets misinterpreted and becomes part of the bible.

There are natural events today which kill many people, yet many religious folk say it was a punishment from God to get rid of "sinners".

There is no purpose to these events. They just happen. It is bad luck that you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

t

Moves
31 Oct 10

I am pointing out that there could be millions of possibilities, yet there is only one you subscribe to.

It is much more plausible that an earthquake occurred and destroyed the cities. People observed this and think it is a supernatural event because this was at a time where they were too ignorant to know better. This gets misinterpreted and becomes part o ...[text shortened]... events. They just happen. It is bad luck that you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
>>I am pointing out that there could be millions of possibilities<<???

Ashes of one "whole" city with other possibilities then being S and G?

Please share at LEAST one of these millions I beg you.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
01 Nov 10

>>I am pointing out that there could be millions of possibilities<<???

Ashes of one "whole" city with other possibilities then being S and G?

Please share at LEAST one of these millions I beg you.
Aside from what is reported in that BBC report above, what if I was to suggest some other religious event?

If any supernatural event at all, why is the bible the correct one?

If there are no boundaries to suggestions, then there are actually infinite possibilities. I could even suggest space aliens coming down and blasting the city with lasers.

t

Moves
01 Nov 10
2 edits

Aside from what is reported in that BBC report above, what if I was to suggest some other religious event?

If any supernatural event at all, why is the bible the correct one?

If there are no boundaries to suggestions, then there are actually infinite possibilities. I could even suggest space aliens coming down and blasting the city with lasers.
And if THAT were the case, do you REALLY think God would have made sure that no winds would come in it's vicinity?

Would not that be God deceiving others to have them think it WAS S&G?

Please think about this question before you reply real quick like.

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
01 Nov 10

And if THAT were the case, do you REALLY think God would have made sure that no winds would come in it's vicinity?

Would not that be God deceiving others to have them think it WAS S&G?

Please think about this question before you reply real quick like.
What made you think that God actually stopped winds coming to the vicinity?

t

Moves
01 Nov 10

What made you think that God actually stopped winds coming to the vicinity?
You have obviously not viewed that 1st posted link that we are discussing of the 2, because if you had, you would have recognized how when he grabbed a piece of it's substance it diminished like ashes.

If God had not refrained winds from it's vicinity how then is it still here when he simply removed a piece which became ashes in his hand?

l

Milton Keynes, UK

Moves
01 Nov 10

You have obviously not viewed that 1st posted link that we are discussing of the 2, because if you had, you would have recognized how when he grabbed a piece of it's substance it diminished like ashes.

If God had not refrained winds from it's vicinity how then is it still here when he simply removed a piece which became ashes in his hand?
Yes, I did watch the first link and there is no mention of God stopping winds going there.

Did you personally conclude that God stopped winds going there? or you have read that somewhere?

The person in the video just picked a certain area (which might have been eroding over a long period of time anyway) and that broke away. How do you know the whole site breaks up in the same way?

I am pretty sure the ruins in the high up regions wouldn't just break up in dust upon touching it. The lower regions can be suitably shielded by surrounding terrain.

How is it so obvious that God purposely kept strong winds away from these cities so archaeologists can discover it?

AH

Moves
01 Nov 10
1 edit

Yes, that is exactly what Occam's Razor is, although referring people to Occam's Razor might be more confusing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

“....the principle of Occam's Razor recommends selecting the competing hypothesis that makes the fewest new assumptions (aka postulates, entities) …..”

I agree with that principle.
Just wondering; can the word “new” be dropped from “the fewest new assumptions “ in the above definition? Anyone?

AH

Moves
01 Nov 10

Originally posted by gtbiking4life
I respect your decision to feel that way Andrew. I have a different viewpoint and for me my feelings are just opposite. I find it reasonable to believe in God based upon evidence and experiences I have seen and had in my life.

Simply because you and I have chosen different beliefs, does not mean one is smarter or better than the other. We just have different viewpoints on this topic.

I also do not believe in the Tooth-Fairy 😛
“...I respect your DECISION to FEEL that way Andrew. ...” (my emphases)

It is not a “FEELING” but rational thought and it is not a “ DECISION” but a conclusion.

“...I have a different viewpoint and for me my feelings are just opposite. ...”

“opposite” to which of my “feelings”? -my “feelings” have no part in by belief-forming or conclusion-forming process.

“...Simply because you and I have CHOSEN different beliefs, ...” (my emphases)

I do NOT “CHOOSE” my beliefs. I do not choose whatever I desire to be true but rather at least try and be objective. Probably this is the main reason why I and many others are atheist.
I have not “CHOSEN” to believe that there is no god in the same way I have not “CHOSEN” to believe that 1=1=2.

t

Moves
01 Nov 10

Yes, I did watch the first link and there is no mention of God stopping winds going there.

Did you personally conclude that God stopped winds going there? or you have read that somewhere?

The person in the video just picked a certain area (which might have been eroding over a long period of time anyway) and that broke away. How do you know the whole sit ...[text shortened]... that God purposely kept strong winds away from these cities so archaeologists can discover it?
(((((HOW))))) ??????

Am I HEARING you CORRECTLY?

It's completely obvious they had to be restrained winds to not diminish such as he had with just a flake of grip to the palm to have become like soot.

t

Moves
01 Nov 10

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
“...I respect your DECISION to FEEL that way Andrew. ...” (my emphases)

It is not a “FEELING” but rational thought and it is not a “ DECISION” but a conclusion.

“...I have a different viewpoint and for me my feelings are just opposite. ...”

“opposite” to which of my “feelings”? -my “feelings” have no part in by belief-forming or conclusion-f ...[text shortened]... OSEN” to believe that there is no god in the same way I have not “CHOSEN” to believe that 1=1=2.
So why do you belittle your unlimited intelligence by rejecting where it all comes from?