Why this forum?

Why this forum?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Dec 10
2 edits

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Do you know why the ancients were so seemingly obsessed with astrology?
On this subject, see if you can get hold of a copy of Oedipus Judaicus by Sir William Drummond - you'll never look at the OT in the same light again.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Dec 10

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
On this subject, see if you can get hold of a copy of Oedipus Judaicus by Sir William Drummond - you'll never look at the OT in the same light again.
Yes. Believe the skeptics. Then you'll know the truth.

Ah, maybe.

Why don't we just tear everything down and have anarchy?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Dec 10

Originally posted by josephw

Ah, maybe.

I would not simply advise someone to believe a sceptic any more than I would counsel unexamined acceptance of any other creed. I do, however, think that it's possible to make a better judgement if one has more and better data. I don't quite see how that leads toward anarchy.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
12 Dec 10

I would not simply advise someone to believe a sceptic any more than I would counsel unexamined acceptance of any other creed. I do, however, think that it's possible to make a better judgement if one has more and better data. I don't quite see how that leads toward anarchy.
If and when one knows the truth about something, and someone comes along with an argument that throws doubt on the truth, is that healthy skepticism?

I think rather that that raises anarchy.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Dec 10

If and when one knows the truth about something, and someone comes along with an argument that throws doubt on the truth, is that healthy skepticism?

I think rather that that raises anarchy.
If reasoned argument raises doubts about a supposed 'truth', then I would contend that said 'truth' has been mislabelled.

I can find no definition of the word 'anarchy' which fits your usage, please define your meaning further.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Dec 10

Ok, thnx

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
12 Dec 10

Ah, maybe.

You are all good little sheep following our christian inspired laws. Sensible laws some of them. Like "Dont Murder"-(or you'll goto jail or the chair).
But you cant stop a murderer from killing someone. Not if he/she is careful.

So yes, its anarchy and the reason the world doesn't spin into chaos is not because of man made laws, it is because of the nature of human kindness.

How many times have you seen someone disobey a traffic law only to avert an accident? Do you see my gist?

P

weedhopper

Moves
13 Dec 10

Spirituality forum is a bit of a silly place. The Christians fight each other over trivial matters like baptism, permant salvation, even archaic concepts like purgatory and rapture. Atheists are still worse--fighting a losing battle against people who couldn't possibly care less what they say and have 0.0000% chance of changing their minds.It's occasionally good for a laugh or two from a representative of one of the cults, but overall, it's just a waste of time.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
13 Dec 10

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
Spirituality forum is a bit of a silly place. The Christians fight each other over trivial matters like baptism, permant salvation, even archaic concepts like purgatory and rapture. Atheists are still worse--fighting a losing battle against people who couldn't possibly care less what they say and have 0.0000% chance of changing their minds.It's occasiona ...[text shortened]... ugh or two from a representative of one of the cults, but overall, it's just a waste of time.
Oh I don't know.

I've learned a lot, and it gives me something to do as a diversion from my routine.

At least it's still free. I think the time will come when we will be censored by the ones who can't tolerate free speech or even free thought.

So try to enjoy it while you still can.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
13 Dec 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
You are all good little sheep following our christian inspired laws. Sensible laws some of them. Like "Dont Murder"-(or you'll goto jail or the chair).
But you cant stop a murderer from killing someone. Not if he/she is careful.

So yes, its anarchy and the reason the world doesn't spin into chaos is not because of man made laws, it is because of th ...[text shortened]... s have you seen someone disobey a traffic law only to avert an accident? Do you see my gist?
In America we have a saying. "We are a nation of laws, not men."

I can see that chaos is creeping into your country. Go ahead and try a little kindness with the rioters and see what you get.

Nobody(virtually)obeys the traffic laws. I'd like to see you prove how disobeying traffic laws is averting accidents. How moronic can you get?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
13 Dec 10
1 edit

In America we have a saying. "We are a nation of laws, not men."

I can see that chaos is creeping into your country. Go ahead and try a little kindness with the rioters and see what you get.

Nobody(virtually)obeys the traffic laws. I'd like to see you prove how disobeying traffic laws is averting accidents. How moronic can you get?
There is no force/law stopping me from punching you in the face-that would be a miracle. If you get my gist 😉
(edit:I am joking)