1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 23:431 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    So Whodey will do his best to curb this desire [to eat a mentally retarded person] because of his faith. What does FMF do?
    You may have a desire to eat a mentally retarded person [which is subsequently curbed by your "faith"], but I have no such desire.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 23:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    My moral code, stated at its most simple, is based on avoiding deceiving, coercing and harming other people.
    Is it an innate thing or did you learn it?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 23:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    Is it an innate thing or did you learn it?
    Probably a mixture of both. Do you agree with what appears to be whodey's suggestion that Holy Bible makes it OK for Christians to eat meat but non-Christians eating meat is morally tainted in some way?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 23:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    Probably a mixture of both. Do you agree with what appears to be whodey's suggestion that Holy Bible makes it OK for Christians to eat meat but non-Christians eating meat is morally tainted in some way?
    I seriously doubt that you understood what whodey meant by whatever it is you are referring to that he said, that you now are suggesting that he meant any such thing.

But for what it's worth, no, I don't agree.
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '12 23:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    You may have a desire to eat a mentally retarded person [which is subsequently curbed by your "faith"], but I have no such desire.
    I said for the sake of argument. Or lets presume we both lived in an area where canabalism was a common practice. Are such morals truly relative or is there right and wrong on the issue?
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:00
    Originally posted by FMF
    That was NOT what I meant.

For clarity, I do not think it a sin for anyone to eat meat. My question is, by what moral code do we use to assess if it is "wrong" or "right"?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:03
    My question is, by what moral code do we use to assess if it is "wrong" or "right"?
    I believe that "eating a mentally retarded person" is "wrong" based on the moral code I mentioned a post or two ago.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:06
    That was NOT what I meant.
    On page 2 you said that, while it's morally justifiable for Christians to eat meat "...[h]owever, those that do not believe this are faced with a rather difficult defense in eating animals". I don't see how non-Christians eating meat have any moral "difficulty" at all.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    On page 2 you said that, while it's morally justifiable for Christians to eat meat "...[h]owever, those that do not believe this are faced with a rather difficult defense in eating animals". I don't see how non-Christians eating meat have any moral "difficulty" at all.
    Correct me if I'm wrong FMF, but if we are not made in God's image are we all not just a glorified ape of some sort?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:09
    I said for the sake of argument. Or lets presume we both lived in an area where canabalism was a common practice. Are such morals truly relative or is there right and wrong on the issue?
    Well, for the sake of the [kind of] argument [you seem to like], supposing you were a cannibal, wouldn't that be absolutely awful?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:101 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well what you say here is, in essence, the Christian defence of Mosaic Law and "God's" condoning of slavery in the scriptures. I may or may not have opposed slavery. Who is to know what either of us would have done in "the ancient world"?
    I do realize that many attack the Mosaic law for allowing slavery, but the irony here is that Moses was known for setting the Israelites free from slavery. In addition, he allowed a "Sabbath" as a day of rest for EVERYONE and allowed for slaves to be set free after so many years of service.

Considering these things, this tells me that Moses was the beginning of the end for slave holders and not the beginning of the beginning.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:12
    Correct me if I'm wrong FMF, but if we are not made in God's image are we all not just a glorified ape of some sort?
    I am not a Christian, whodey. I don't accept any claims you happen to make about what are - and are not - instructions or messages from "God".
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:13
    Originally posted by FMF
    Well, for the sake of the [kind of] argument [you seem to like], supposing you were a cannibal, wouldn't that be absolutely awful?
    From my perspective today, yes. However, if you were brought up in the culture and you assumed it was "OK", would it really be "OK"?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:14
    Originally posted by FMF
    I am not a Christian, whodey. I don't accept any claims you happen to make about what are - and are not - instructions or messages from "God".
    My question to you is, if mankind was not made in the image of God, are we then not just glorified animals ourselves?

Put another way, what distinction do you place between man and beast?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 Apr '12 00:17
    From my perspective today, yes. However, if you were brought up in the culture and you assumed it was "OK", would it really be "OK"?
    Well if you thought cannibalism was Ok then that would mean you thought cannibalism was Ok. I don't think cannibalims is Ok and neither do you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree