Why

Why

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
09 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
So the distinctions between man and beast so far listed are:

1. Beast cannot verbalize a distinction between man and beast. (presumptuous since we don't understand when they communicate)

2. Beast does not "cook" its meals.

Any others?
Physiology, psychology, anthropology, culture, philosophy. If any species of "animals" demonstrated "human spirit" or "humanity", I would perhaps rethink my eating of their meat. Until then they are prey for humans.

w

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by FMF
1. Abortion - personally I am not willing to condone this or be involved in carrying one out, but don't want my views to be enshrined in legislation and superimposed onto the decisions that adults make, so I support 'woman's right to choose'.

2. Euthenasia [sic] - I agree with it as long as it conforms to my 'do no harm, no deceit, informed consent, no coerc ...[text shortened]... em with it.

9. Bestiality - Against it.

10. Prostitution - I have no problem with it
So all of these moral stances are heavily influenced on the fact that you do not believe that man was made in the image of God. Is this correct or would you say it would not change your stances?

w

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by FMF
Physiology, psychology, anthropology, culture, philosophy. If any species of "animals" demonstrated "human spirit" or "humanity", I would perhaps rethink my eating of their meat. Until then they are prey for humans.
So would you refrain from eating a monkey, for example?

F

Moves
09 Apr 12
1 edit

So would you refrain from eating a monkey, for example?
I wouldn't consciously refrain from it. I haven't sought it out, much in the same way as I didn't seek out snake, dog, horse, crocodile, grasshoppers etc. I have eaten all those things, however. And I would eat monkey if someone served me with it. I used to be sentimental about dogs too. My equestrian sister has never fully forgiven me for eating horse.

F

Moves
09 Apr 12

So all of these moral stances are heavily influenced on the fact that you do not believe that man was made in the image of God. Is this correct or would you say it would not change your stances?
I have no comment I wish to base upon your speculation about "the image of God".

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
Among other things, lots on this bank-holiday weekend.
Not a big golf fan but the greens look attractive... although we are wondering if they are holding it
earlier this year as the Rhododendrons (among other things) aren't in bloom yet and they normally
are.
We call them Azaleas here. But we had an early Spring here and they have already
bloomed. I remember the local news mentioning it and stating that we would
probably not have any of them blooming this year when the Masters was held
because of the early warm weather.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by josephw
Why are you so concerned with the killing of animals?

Why aren't you concerned about the killing of humans?

Is it because you value animals more than humans?
The cow is sacred.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by FMF
You need your Holy Bible to teach you not to eat mentally retarded people. Perhaps others do not need the scriptural instruction that you require, and yet end up making the same choice as you. I have worked with mentally retarded people and have never viewed them as potential food. Perhaps if your religious faith were to fade one day, you would be tempted to eat them. It's a fine line, I suppose.
Some people have eaten other dead people to survive, I have read and heard.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Some people have eaten other dead people to survive, I have read and heard.
surely the dead no longer require their flesh.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Apr 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
I don't "know" it. I have never claimed to.
You told me that you were never a Muslim, but you were raised as a Christian.
But you did not believe in Christ and therefore, you classified yourself as a Theist.
That means that you have some type of belief in God, a god, or gods. Now you
say you do not know that there is such a thing. But if you are a Theist you
must believe that there is such a thing. If not you would be an agnostic. So
what do you base your belief in God or a god or gods on? Do you believe a
part of the Holy Bible or some other religious teaching to come to your belief?

F

Moves
09 Apr 12

Do you believe a part of the Holy Bible or some other religious teaching to come to your belief?
No. I am not a religionist. I have told you this maybe 20 times.

F

Moves
09 Apr 12

...you classified yourself as a Theist. That means that you have some type of belief in God, a god, or gods. Now you say you do not know that there is such a thing. But if you are a Theist you must believe that there is such a thing.
Well if you are interested in the conversation that is being had here, you will realize that the word "know" is being used in a certain way. I don't "know" there is a "God" any more or less than you do. We are both theists in as much as we believe there is a "God".

w

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
surely the dead no longer require their flesh.
It's Hannibal Lecter, run everyone!! 😲

F

Moves
09 Apr 12

It's Hannibal Lecter, run everyone!! 😲
Didn't the Lecter character murder people in order to eat them? Isn't that a rather different act in, terms of morality, than RJHind's "Some people have eaten other dead people to survive". Why do you seek to conflate them?

w

Moves
09 Apr 12
2 edits

Here is some interesting stuff. Anyone hear of the VHEMT? It stands for "The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement". Here is just a taste off their web site if you wish to look it up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Question: Are humans the most important species on Earth?

Answer: We certainly have the most power. We have the power to destroy the planet or to help it return to a natural paradise. Our choices have more impact than the choices of other animals so in many ways, Homo sapians is the most important species on Earth.

Another list of importance is to ask how well Earth's biosphere would get along without us. The higher a species is on the food chain, the less important it seems to be in the survival of that chain.

Biodiversity is being greatly diminished by the extinction of carnivorous predators, and then prey species are affected adversely, but the chain is being shortened more than it is being broken. Likewise, humans virtually left the food chain and will not create a missing link when going extinct.

Microscopic bacterea in the intestines of termites is critical to the continuity and survival of the Earth's web of life. As special as Homo sapiens may be, we seem to be an expendable species in the biosphere.

Extinction of the couple of dozen species which live only on humans is tragic, but unavoidable. Although our hearts may go out to the crab louse, (😛) and few of us have ever seen the billions of mites and microbes which live on and in us, each is a unique lifeform, contributing to the diversity of life on Earth.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: What is the big deal about animals going extinct?

Answer: Some folks say, extinction is natural. 99.9% of all species of plants and animals that have ever existed have gone extinct. Puts it into perspective, does it not? We should not get peeved about a few million extinctions today. It's all part of the natural process of life on Earth. By the same reasoning, we should not care about people dying young. Most people who have ever lived and already dead, and all of us will die eventually. It follows that extinction of the human race should not raise an eyebrow, either................😲...................Today's extinction rate is estimated to be between a hundred and one thousand times the average for the eons, and virtually every species' demise stems from the activities of the human species.
Our voluntary extinction for the eternal good of all other life on Earth will be the ultimate demonstration of the best qualities of humanity: compassion and reason. 🙄

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This little bit about politics is revealing. It was about the question of the Chinese policy on only having one baby.

"Present Chinese government's population policy is not compatible with the VHEMT perspective for 2 main reasons: the policy is less than voluntary, and even one child is too many. In addition, couples are encouraged to produce one offspring, rather than none.
A draconian policy like China's might be instituted in the future if we don't voluntariley lower our birth rates soon................

----------------------------------------------------------------

So basically they are asking for volunteers first, and then everyone else second.

Scary stuff.