1. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:30
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    But you have to be wrong. As you have explained yourself, we only know a billionth of what there is to know. How could you possibly be right?
    All in need to know is the location of one spec of gold in China to know that there is Gold in China.
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:32
    According to FetchMyCoat we only know a billionth of what there is to know, meaning the odds of him being right are one in a billion.

Those odds are pretty bad by anyone's standards.
    The odds of me know everything there is to know are one in a billion. But I don't have to know everything to know something does exist.
  3. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:33
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    All in need to know is the location of one spec of gold in China to know that there is Gold in China.
    That's weak.

Try again.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:331 edit
    China is the biggest producer of gold in the world.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:35
    According to FetchMyCoat we only know a billionth of what there is to know, meaning the odds of him being right are one in a billion.

Those odds are pretty bad by anyone's standards.
    I don't think he wants any of his gimmicky arguments turned on himself.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:381 edit
    OK, so let's say for the sake of argument that [1] there may be no gold in China or [2] there may be one speck of gold in China. If you believe you will one day find that one speck of gold there, this entitles you to claim you "know" there is gold there? Is that what your analogy means?
  7. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:44
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK, so let's say for the sake of argument that [1] there may be no gold in China or [2] there may be one speck of gold in China. If you believe you will one day find that one speck of gold there, this entitles you to claim you "know" there is gold there? Is that what your analogy means?
    1. Is it humanly possible to possess enough knowledge to claim with certainty that Gold exists in China? Yes.
    2. Is it humanly possible to possess enough knowledge to claim with certainty that there is no Gold in China? No.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 15:521 edit
    1. Is it humanly possible to possess enough knowledge to claim with certainty that Gold exists in China? Yes.
    2. Is it humanly possible to possess enough knowledge to claim with certainty that there is no Gold in China? No.
    So, it's "humanly possible" to claim "that Gold exists in China" (because there might be a speck, according to your analogy) therefore it is also "humanly possible" to claim that God [as you describe Him exists] because he might do. Is that what you mean?
  9. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 16:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    So, it's "humanly possible" to claim "that Gold exists in China" (because there might be a speck, according to your analogy) therefore it is also "humanly possible" to claim that God [as you describe Him exists] because he might do. Is that what you mean?
    Basically to say that you know there is no evidence for the existence of God is not humanly possible since you only don't even know one billionth of everything there is to know and there may well be evidence for the existence of God, that you are not aware of. However to say there is evidence for the existence of God doesn't require you to know everything.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 16:07
    Basically to say that you know there is no evidence for the existence of God is not humanly possible since you only don't even know one billionth of everything there is to know and there may well be evidence for the existence of God, that you are not aware of. However to say there is evidence for the existence of God doesn't require you to know everything.
    OK I see, well this doesn't apply to me. But it does seem very trite if you don't mind me saying. Do you hope it will make Ghost of a Duke admit that you're right about God?
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 16:14
    Since you don't even know one billionth of everything there is to know, might there be evidence for the existence of a God that is completely different from the one you believe in? Or is it "not humanly possible" for you to know that?
  12. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 17:201 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    OK I see, well this doesn't apply to me. But it does seem very trite if you don't mind me saying. Do you hope it will make Ghost of a Duke admit that you're right about God?
    No, but maybe it will make him think twice before he claims to know that God does not exist.
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 17:24
    Originally posted by FMF
    Since you don't even know one billionth of everything there is to know, might there be evidence for the existence of a God that is completely different from the one you believe in? Or is it "not humanly possible" for you to know that?
    I can only deal with that which I am aware of. If you have evidence of a different God that you think is more compelling that the one I believe in, feel free to share it, I am all ears.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 May '17 17:45
    I can only deal with that which I am aware of. If you have evidence of a different God that you think is more compelling that the one I believe in, feel free to share it, I am all ears.
    But what is the point if you admit you don't even know one billionth of everything there is to know and you don't even know your god exists?
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    01 May '17 17:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    But what is the point if you admit you don't even know one billionth of everything there is to know and you don't even know your god exists?
    I am convinced He exists.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree