1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 10:03
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    What you are saying only makes sense if there is a universally correct moral standard (that we can know about ) of what is 'morally sound'. Because from your perspective 'what is morally sound' depends on each individual's perspective. Which means means what you believe to be morally sound is different to what Nazi Germany believes to be morally sound. ...[text shortened]... hat your definition of what is morally sound is universally correct. This is your moral dilemma.
    I disagree with you, as you know, for the reasons laid out on more than one recent thread. Your personal opinions about morality create no moral dilemma whatsoever for me.
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 11:03
    I don't expect you to question your golden rule. I don't think you are capable of that because it's an absolute you keep on running away from.
    This is the second time you've come up with this golden rule label. It's not what I said, and it's not something I follow. That you think I do underlines how incapable you are of reading a response which disagrees with your position and understanding it. Instead you attempt to blindly pigeonhole it so that you can trot out another one of your stock arguments and repeat some of your tired old kneejerk nonsense.
  3. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 11:33
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    This is the second time you've come up with this golden rule label. It's not what I said, and it's not something I follow. That you think I do underlines how incapable you are of reading a response which disagrees with your position and understanding it. Instead you attempt to blindly pigeonhole it so that you can trot out another one of your stock arguments and repeat some of your tired old kneejerk nonsense.
    "Would you, as the potential rapist, be ok with having somebody rape you while you were in a coma?" - implying it's not ok to do something you don't want done to yourself. Also when you say it's always wrong to rape someone you are affirming a moral absolute.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 13:29
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Leftist ideology is for the left what scripture is to orthodox christians.

Of course you can't see it because of your ideological beliefs.
    And you are one of those who will not see if you claim that there are no left-leaning Christians. To make this claim, you must necessarily not understand what it means to be left-leaning and/or Christian.

Of course you can't see it because you don't want to see it. They call this willful ignorance.
  5. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 13:35
    "Would you, as the potential rapist, be ok with having somebody rape you while you were in a coma?" - implying it's not ok to do something you don't want done to yourself. Also when you say it's always wrong to rape someone you are affirming a moral absolute.
    You really don't need to quote my own words, I am fully aware of what I have said. I asked you a question, which I note you - in your typical fashion - never even acknowledged, let alone replied to.

You should make yourself aware of the difference between an inference and an implication.

As for your final point, you are mistaken, I have never stated such a belief.
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 17:59
    You really don't need to quote my own words, I am fully aware of what I have said. I asked you a question, which I note you - in your typical fashion - never even acknowledged, let alone replied to.

You should make yourself aware of the difference between an inference and an implication.

As for your final point, you are mistaken, I have never stated such a belief.
    Ok so if you do not make a moral decision based on whether you would want someone to do the same to you, upon what do you base your moral decisions?
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 18:29
    Ok so if you do not make a moral decision based on whether you would want someone to do the same to you, upon what do you base your moral decisions?
    I have already explained this quite carefully.
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 18:41
    He will require you to do so at least 4 more times.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 21:15
    Nature has a way of dealing with this without evil people trying to choose who to allow to live and who is not.
    The point is that as a species, for the first time as far as anyone is concerned, we have a chance to actually control a lot of what happens to us. Should we just leave that control upto nature or should we, as a species, grow up?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    06 Feb '17 21:17
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    i drive semi in USA. There is so much open space, it is unreal. The only reason people complain is the cities are over populated.

My son was with me last summer. At 45 miles from the outskirts of New York city, it is all forest. Even at 25 miles, there was hardly any population. So why does so many people want to live in such a small area.
    We prolly need a lot of that "space" to keep some sort of balance with nature. You do want your grankids to see animals and stuff,right?
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 01:09
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    The point is that as a species, for the first time as far as anyone is concerned, we have a chance to actually control a lot of what happens to us. Should we just leave that control upto nature or should we, as a species, grow up?
    Who gets to manipulate the species?

Me?
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 01:13
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    i drive semi in USA. There is so much open space, it is unreal. The only reason people complain is the cities are over populated.

My son was with me last summer. At 45 miles from the outskirts of New York city, it is all forest. Even at 25 miles, there was hardly any population. So why does so many people want to live in such a small area.
    Let alone places like Texas, Kansas and Colorado.

Hop on I-40 and see how much open space is in this country.
  13. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 04:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    I disagree with you, as you know, for the reasons laid out on more than one recent thread. Your personal opinions about morality create no moral dilemma whatsoever for me.
    I never claimed that my personal opinions create a moral dilemma for you, that is your claim. That fact is without an objective moral standard you cannot claim that anything is objectively wrong.
  14. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 04:111 edit
    You said something is wrong if:

(a) It would cause suffering to that person
    (b) It would cause suffering to people for whom that person is important
    (c) Consequent to (a) and (b) it would cause suffering to one's self (not believing in god doesn't mean that one doesn't have a conscience)
    (d) It could lead to negative consequences socially and legally for one's self

So then I asked you would it be wrong for a rapist to rape someone who is in a coma if no one found out and it brought the rapist pleasure. Because in this case neither a,b,c, or d is violated. So therefore by your logic it can't be wrong.
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Feb '17 05:41
    Who gets to manipulate the species?

Me?
    You,yeah why not?

But I didn't say "manipulate"
    Life is precious in all it's forms, let's not destroy nature before we've had chance to preserve it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree