1. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 17:23
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Experiment

It's a hoax.

You need to go learn scientific skepticism.
    From what i read in the library from multiple sources, it wasn't a hoax.
  2. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 17:23
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Ok mister laws of physics. Explain why a bumble bee flies?
    Newtonain Physics.

Air is forced downwards creating thrust, and there is consequently an equal
    and opposite reaction upwards which supports the bee.

Why... Did you think that was an unsolved problem?
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 17:26
    From what i read in the library from multiple sources, it wasn't a hoax.
    I don't care what you read, making a ship totally invisible by bending light
    around it by bending space time is not possible.
    Either technologically or theoretically.
  4. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 17:33
    I don't care what you read, making a ship totally invisible by bending light
    around it by bending space time is not possible.
    Either technologically or theoretically.
    Presently there is some new technology to bend light. It was presented on a science show, also shown on tv. This new tech will be able to make tanks seem invisible even if you were standing next to them.

I remember how Star Trek technology seemed so far fetched years ago. Yet many of the devices are now being used, like lasers.

Steven Hawkens proposed the idea that black holes will bend not only light but time as well.
  5. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 17:46
    Presently there is some new technology to bend light. It was presented on a science show, also shown on tv. This new tech will be able to make tanks seem invisible even if you were standing next to them.

I remember how Star Trek technology seemed so far fetched years ago. Yet many of the devices are now being used, like lasers.

Steven Hawkens proposed the idea that black holes will bend not only light but time as well.
    Yeah, I trained as a physicist and so unlike you I actually know what I am talking about.

These new metamateriels were beyond the manufacturing capabilities of anyone even
    a couple of decades ago, let alone back in the 40's.

They are still highly experimental.

They only work for very specific and narrow frequency ranges, outside of which they make
    the object even more visible. And this is a fundamental property of the way they work and
    not simply a technical problem to be solved.

They are also extremely fragile.

They will never be used on tanks [or other military vehicles] because they are way to flimsy
    and to ineffective/expensive.

Steven Hawking did not propose that Black holes bend space and time, that was Einstein.

Perhaps you need to read up on what it is you are talking about.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 18:07
    Let's take this unusual opportunity to address Dr. Benjamin Wiker's questions and Mr. Antony Flew's words directly. #1...

Q: Dr. Benjamin Wiker: You say in "There is a God", that "it may well be that no one is as surprised as I am that my exploration of the Divine has after all these years turned from denial...to discovery." Everyone else was certainly very surprised as well, perhaps all the more so since on our end, it seemed so sudden. But in "There is a God", we find that it was actually a very gradual process—a "two decade migration," as you call it. God was the conclusion of a rather long argument, then. But wasn't there a point in the "argument" where you found yourself suddenly surprised by the realization that "There is a God" after all? So that, in some sense, you really did "hear a Voice that says" in the evidence itself "'Can you hear me now?'"

A: Antony Flew: There were two factors in particular that were decisive. One was my growing empathy with the insight of Einstein and other noted scientists that there had to be an Intelligence behind the integrated complexity of the physical Universe. The second was my own insight that the integrated complexity of life itself—which is far more complex than the physical Universe—can only be explained in terms of an Intelligent Source. I believe that the origin of life and reproduction simply cannot be explained from a biological standpoint despite numerous efforts to do so.

With every passing year, the more that was discovered about the richness and inherent intelligence of life, the less it seemed likely that a chemical soup could magically generate the genetic code. The difference between life and non-life, it became apparent to me, was ontological and not chemical. The best confirmation of this radical gulf is Richard Dawkins' comical effort to argue in "The God Delusion" that the origin of life can be attributed to a "lucky chance." If that's the best argument you have, then the game is over. No, I did not hear a Voice. It was the evidence itself that led me to this conclusion.
  7. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 18:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Let's take this unusual opportunity to address Dr. Benjamin Wiker's questions and Mr. Antony Flew's words directly. #1...

[b]Q: Dr. Benjamin Wiker:
    You say in "There is a God", that "it may well be that no one is as surprised as I am that my exploration of the Divine has after all these years turned from denial...to discovery." Everyone else was ...[text shortened]... r. No, I did not hear a Voice. It was the evidence itself that led me to this conclusion.[/b]
    Like I said. He lost his mind.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 20:022 edits
    A: Antony Flew: There were two factors in particular that were decisive. One was my growing empathy with the insight of Einstein and other noted scientists that there had to be an Intelligence behind the integrated complexity of the physical Universe. The second was my own insight that the integrated complexity of life itself—which is far more complex than the physical Universe—can only be explained in terms of an Intelligent Source. I believe that the origin of life and reproduction simply cannot be explained from a biological standpoint despite numerous efforts to do so.

With every passing year, the more that was discovered about the richness and inherent intelligence of life, the less it seemed likely that a chemical soup could magically generate the genetic code. The difference between life and non-life, it became apparent to me, was ontological and not chemical. The best confirmation of this radical gulf is Richard Dawkins' comical effort to argue in "The God Delusion" that the origin of life can be attributed to a "lucky chance." If that's the best argument you have, then the game is over. No, I did not hear a Voice. It was the evidence itself that led me to this conclusion.

Then tear him and his rationales apart one after another; both Flew and googlefudge are on a level field with familiar turf.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 20:24
    A timely reminder of the purpose and suggested topic focus of this online forum from Russ:

"Spirituality: Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 00:08
    Funny how a few of you complain because you've never heard of him.
    That kinda underscores the shallowness of your beliefs, if you think about it.
    No true atheist would be so ignorant of one of the signers of the Human Manifesto, the author of God and Philosophy and The Presumption of Atheism.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 00:44

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 00:53
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Source link?
    Thanks.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 02:232 edits

14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 02:332 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Source link?
    Thanks.

Originally posted by Duchess64
    I had wondered whether you (GrampyBobby) were extremely disingenuous
    or extremely ignorant. Now the latter seems more likely in this case.

While Antony Flew denied, of course, that he was afflicted by senility,
    he did concede that the book was written by Roy Abraham Varghese
    because he (near age 84) was no longer capable of writing on his own.

"While Antony Flew's name appears as an author (he was much more
    famous than his co-author), the 2007 book _There is a God_ evidently
    was written by Roy Abraham Varghese. Its style is quite different from
    the style of books written by Antony Flew when he was much younger.

Antony Flew (born in 1923) was 84 years old when this book was published.
    Some people claim to have observed significant evidence that Antony
    Flew's mind had seriously declined, with him having great difficulty in
    remembering things that he supposedly had written or discussed.
    So there remains some controversy about the extent to which Antony
    Flew understood--or could have understood--what Roy Abraham Varghese
    was writing in his name."

Duchess64, please accept my apology if these are your own words. I admire your knowledge and memory. Thanks.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 02:54

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree