1. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 02:55
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Funny how a few of you complain because you've never heard of him.
    That kinda underscores the shallowness of your beliefs, if you think about it.
    No true atheist would be so ignorant of one of the signers of the Human Manifesto, the author of God and Philosophy and The Presumption of Atheism.
    Atheism isn't a religion. There are no holy scriptures and no required reading to be an atheist. All you have to do is not believe in any gods. There are no apostles, prophets, or teachers.

(Maybe it will sink in this time...)
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 03:04
    Funny how a few of you complain because you've never heard of him.
    That kinda underscores the shallowness of your beliefs, if you think about it.
    No true atheist would be so ignorant of one of the signers of the Human Manifesto, the author of God and Philosophy and The Presumption of Atheism.
    Thanks.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 03:14
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Atheism isn't a religion. There are no holy scriptures and no required reading to be an atheist. All you have to do is not believe in any gods. There are no apostles, prophets, or teachers.

Why don't you just face the fact that you are not a true atheist? Talk about being in denial.
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 03:25
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Why don't you just face the fact that you are not a true atheist? Talk about being in denial.
    "Spirituality: Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after." -Russ

How does an atheist live without hope in the life after?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 04:04
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Spirituality: Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after." -Russ

How does an atheist live without hope in the life after?
    Perhaps atheists are not so self-centered that they cannot conceive of themselves no longer existing.
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 06:441 edit
    Perhaps atheists are not so self-centered that they cannot conceive of themselves no longer existing.

"Common Traits Of The Self-Centered Person: Recognize And Deal With Self-Centered People"

"It's no wonder why self-centeredness is typically viewed as the most unappealing personality trait in a potential friend or partner. Most of us struggle to maintain a sense of compassion and understanding toward others. Self-centered people, on the other hand, don’t bother to take the time to understand another person’s point-of-view or feelings. Here is a look into the world of the self-centered person and an explanation of common personality traits associated with self-centeredness.

An article for New Scientist Magazine entitled “Self-Centered Cultures Narrow Your Viewpoint” recently reported that cultures that emphasize individualism, such as America, fail at being able to infer another person’s perspective. Cultures that emphasize interdependence, on the other hand, like those in Asia, are easily able to put themselves in the shoes of others and be more empathetic.

“A Texas corporation ‘aiming to improve productivity,’ told its employees to look in the mirror and say 'I am beautiful' 100 times before coming to work. In contrast, a Japanese supermarket instructed its employees to begin their day by telling each other 'you are beautiful'," the author Roxanne Khamsi wrote.

What is it about American culture that applauds being self-centered? And why is it that so many Americans take the bait? Our current culture not only supports, but requests, that individuals put themselves and their own happiness first. According to Mark Drummond, a psychologist who specializes in personality disorders, “being ‘self caring’ is considered healthy, but many mistake that for being self-centered.”

Young people today do not show the same amount of concern that youth of past generations expressed for the state of their country or for current affairs that either directly effect (or will soon directly effect) them and their loved ones. Self caring means that you have concern for others, but not at the expense of yourself. Those of today’s generation have taken it to an unprecedented level and seem to take pride in being self-centered and for caring only about their needs and wants.

“They are completely self-driven and more concerned with their image and materialistic things than issues that affect the entire country and even the rest of the world,” Drummond said."

http://www.lifescript.com/soul/self/growth/common_traits_of_the_self-centered_person.aspx

Thanks, ThinkOfOne, for a timely post. Further thoughts?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 08:541 edit
    It is because atheists believe they are just an evolved rat or bacteria and of no more worth than any other such creature. Therefore, their existing or not is unimportant.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 12:07
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    It is because atheists believe they are just an evolved rat or bacteria and of no more worth than any other such creature. Therefore, their existing or not is unimportant.
    It's funny, demonizing atheists while Christians. Muslims and others are the ones killing people by the millions.

You like to point out people like Pol Pot and the like as a bad assed atheist but that is one person.

What about the millions of joe in the street atheist who has killed nobody, robbed nobody, raped nobody, has a family, a good job and contributes to society.

All I hear from so-called Christians is how superior Christianity is to ANY atheist.

It is clear you are all still barbarians.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 12:40
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

Calm down, cupcake.
    It was a tongue-in-cheek take off of the ol' 'no true Scotsman' fallacy...
    which was coined by none other than A. Flew.

But since you brought it up, just because the positions aren't named the same doesn't mean the patterns aren't followed.

And, thank you again for underscoring what theists have valiantly (albeit vainly) been laboring to draw your attention to; namely, "all you have to do..."
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 16:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It's funny, demonizing atheists while Christians. Muslims and others are the ones killing people by the millions.

You like to point out people like Pol Pot and the like as a bad assed atheist but that is one person.

What about the millions of joe in the street atheist who has killed nobody, robbed nobody, raped nobody, has a family, a good job and co ...[text shortened]... ans is how superior Christianity is to ANY atheist.

It is clear you are all still barbarians.
    Christians are the most persecuted.

Christians killed for faith nearly doubled in 2013

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/01/12/christians-killed-for-faith-nearly-doubled-in-2013-group-finds/
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 16:57
    Christians are the most persecuted.

Christians killed for faith nearly doubled in 2013

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/01/12/christians-killed-for-faith-nearly-doubled-in-2013-group-finds/
    And of course the Christians totally turned the other cheek, no reprisals, no revenges, no vendetta's......
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 18:34
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    And of course the Christians totally turned the other cheek, no reprisals, no revenges, no vendetta's......
    Why wouldn't they?
  13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 18:49
    Why wouldn't they?
    Because they are barbarians at heart and WOULD seek revenge and have and will.

Did you expect otherwise?
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 19:283 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Originally posted by Duchess64
    While Antony Flew's name appears as an author (he was much more
    famous than his co-author), the 2007 book _There is a God_ evidently
    was written by Roy Abraham Varghese. Its style is quite different from
    the style of books written by Antony Flew when he was much younger.

Antony Flew (born in 1923) was 84 years old when this book was published.
    Some people claim to have observed significant evidence that Antony
    Flew's mind had seriously declined, with him having great difficulty in
    remembering things that he supposedly had written or discussed.
    So there remains some controversy about the extent to which Antony
    Flew understood--or could have understood--what Roy Abraham Varghese
    was writing in his name.

Originally posted by Duchess64
    I did not imagine that you (GrampyBobby) suspected that I was copying
    someone else's words. If I quote anyone, I put those words within
    quotation marks and name the person quoted, usually citing a source.

Mark Oppenheimer interviewed Antony Flew about the book:
    'New York Times Magazine' (4 November 2007):
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/magazine/04Flew-t.hmtl?_r=0

Mark Oppenheimer found that Antony Flew could not remember much of
    what he supposedly 'thought' in the book that he officially had written.

Antony Flew released this statement through his publisher:
    "...I needed someone to do the actual writing because I'm 84 and that
    was Roy Varghese's role. This is my book and it represents my thinking."
    Did anyone expect his publisher to admit that a book with Antony Flew's
    name (most famously--its selling point) on it did *not* represent him?

In my experience with elderly people suffering from dementia, they tend
    to claim to understand many things that obviously don't really understand.
    Given that he admitted that he lacked the capacity to write the book, one
    wonders to what extent Antony Flew could read and comprehend the book.

Duchess64, please note the absence of the vertical 1st person pronoun in the first reply as contrasted with its presence in the second. This fact alongside an unusual reportorial tone of meaning in this conversational online forum caused me to wonder if "quotation" was inadvertently omitted. How could I possibly have "suspected... copying someone else's words" when we've never even become acquainted? If you know me at all, you know I instinctively give the benefit of doubt. I've learned that you never go too far wrong in this life by treating others better than they deserve and by being quick to forgive and forget. Last, please also note the acid brevity of my "Source link? Thanks." initial reply; hardly an accusatory tone.
  15. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 19:54
    Calm down, cupcake.
    It was a tongue-in-cheek take off of the ol' 'no true Scotsman' fallacy...
    which was coined by none other than A. Flew.

But since you brought it up, just because the positions aren't named the same doesn't mean the patterns aren't followed.

And, thank you again for underscoring what theists have valiantly (albeit vainly) been laboring to draw your attention to; namely, "all you have to do..."
    Zwah?!

I've never said otherwise. "Vainly", my ass.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree