You will reject this...

You will reject this...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Mar 08

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
God is a gentleman. He always respects the excercise of your free will and wiould never coerce it. He has revealed

Himself to mankind (in the design and function of the natural world, The First Advent of Christ and in The Word

of Truth) and is offering you a free gift. You have a perfect right to ignore and/or reject it. Choice is up to you.
This sounds like more of the standard Bizarro-world philosophy of evangelical Christians. In it, gentlemen endorse torture of lost souls, coercion does not include threats like "do this or you'll go to hell!", free will applies to decisions made under duress, and the gift is merely the right not to be harmed by the giver.

Add 5 more words to the Bizarro collection.

s

Moves
24 Mar 08

God is a gentleman. He always respects the excercise of your free will and wiould never coerce it. He has revealed

Himself to mankind (in the design and function of the natural world, The First Advent of Christ and in The Word

of Truth) and is offering you a free gift. You have a perfect right to ignore and/or reject it. Choice is up to you.
He appeared to mankind? That's not quite consensual, is it? I don't think he did.
A free gift? Does it involve losing by ability to use good sense and stop thinking logically? Then no, thanks.

m

Moves
24 Mar 08

That would have to qualify as the most twisted, sadistic, criminally insane offer of a free gift ever foisted upon mankind. Put me down as rejecting that offer, and please tell your God I thank Him for not existing.

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
24 Mar 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
This sounds like more of the standard Bizarro-world philosophy of evangelical Christians. In it, gentlemen endorse torture of lost souls, coercion does not include threats like "do this or you'll go to hell!", free will applies to decisions made under duress, and the gift is merely the right not to be harmed by the giver.

true.

a
AGW Hitman

http://xkcd.com/386/

Moves
24 Mar 08
3 edits

"God is a gentleman. He always respects the excercise of your free will and wiould never coerce it."

While I am making an assumption here with regards to your use of the word "your" being equally applicable to all humans at all points in time and place, I have to ask, does that include the time when he (the god you refer to) coerced the pharaoh in exodus and hardened his heart so that he would not let Moses' people go? (Ex. 9:12 - Ex. 10:1,20,27 - Ex. 11:10 - Ex. 14:4,8,17)
You know, so that he could get a few more plagues in for good measure?

Or is this yet another case of things being taken out of context?! 🙄

a
AGW Hitman

Moves
24 Mar 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit

The best analogy I heard for this view of god is as a mafia boss.

"Hey, you know I'm a good guy, I wouldn't hurt ya. But if you don't help me out here, you're not really giving me any choice but to take your thumbs. Can't you see what a bind you're putting me in here? Look, it's up to you whether you help me help you... it's all up to you, it's a free country, ain't it?"

This is generally followed by a jovial laugh and a friendly though creepy pat on the back as he surreptitiously slips a hand into his overcoat pocket with one eybrow raised imploringly. Why do you think Sicilians are so religious?!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by agryson
[b]"God is a gentleman. He always respects the excercise of your free will and wiould never coerce it."

While I am making an assumption here with regards to your use of the word "your" being equally applicable to all humans at all points in time and place, I have to ask, does that include the time when he (the god you refer to) coerced the pharaoh in for good measure?

Or is this yet another case of things being taken out of context?! 🙄[/b]
Perhaps God killed the Egyptians gently.

a
AGW Hitman

Moves
25 Mar 08

Originally posted by Conrau K
Perhaps God killed the Egyptians gently.
lol
You wanna bet?!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Mar 08

Originally posted by agryson
lol
You wanna bet?!
I always thought that the angel of death passing over the houses was alike to genocidal euthanasia. The story did not seem violent, but gentle.

Admittedly, the Book of Exodus is not a flattering portrayal of the moral virtues of God. I have a lot of sympathy for all those lambs slaughtered. Clearly God was never an animal activist. Not very gentleman-like at all.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
25 Mar 08

He is the subjective pronoun: He stole my eggs.
Him is the objective pronoun: It was him who stole my eggs.

As the pronoun is in the objective state, the correct expression is therefore "You are not Him." You are correct, however, that the verb is uninflected.

EDIT: You could say, "He is not you." But then the verb is inflected.
If you are going to be the grammar and word police, you ought to be knowledgeable about
grammar and words.

Nemesio

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
25 Mar 08

I always thought that the angel of death passing over the houses was alike to genocidal euthanasia. The story did not seem violent, but gentle.

Admittedly, the Book of Exodus is not a flattering portrayal of the moral virtues of God. I have a lot of sympathy for all those lambs slaughtered. Clearly God was never an animal activist. Not very gentleman-like at all.
Funny, I didn't know it was god killed all those lambs and people, I would have sworn it was people. It always seems to boil down to people killing people and rationalizing it all away in the name of some god or other. Why do you suppose it is this god would allow such deadly opposed religions to spring up around the world? It couldn't be because this 'Gentleman' god of yours just doesn't exist or if it does, it never comes to this part of the universe, having real fish to fry elsewhere?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Nemesio
If you are going to be the grammar and word police, you ought to be knowledgeable about
grammar and words.

Nemesio
I have no intention of being the grammar-police. Muppyman made a statement that I believed false, and thus I challenged - as I (and you) would on any issue (whether grammatical, spiritual, or political.) He gave a lucid refutation of my challenge, and consequently, I politely conceded that I was wrong. If I had not commented, I would not have learnt something but have privately persisted in syntactical error. By questioning his statement, I learnt something.

That is how people should argue.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
25 Mar 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
Funny, I didn't know it was god killed all those lambs and people, I would have sworn it was people. It always seems to boil down to people killing people and rationalizing it all away in the name of some god or other. Why do you suppose it is this god would allow such deadly opposed religions to spring up around the world? It couldn't be because this 'Gent ...[text shortened]... if it does, it never comes to this part of the universe, having real fish to fry elsewhere?
Possibly by "gentleman" Grampy Bobby meant in the narrow sense of "English Gentleman" - that imperial stereotype of old-style elitists who hunt foxes and condescendingly call other cultures primitive and savage.

If so, it makes sense that God would stuff the world up.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
25 Mar 08
1 edit

PASCAL"S WAGER

Blaise Pascal entertained all of these same preliminary questions,

logical contradictions and obstacles as well. Perhaps you're already

familiar with the classic conclusion of his life long search for absolute

truth, referred to by scholars for centuries as "Pascal's Wager"...

#1. If I believe in God as revealed in the person of Christ and it turns

out to be a cruel hoax and there is no god... I have nothing to lose.

#2. If I believe in Christ and His claims are true and His spiritual death

actually provided the option of salvation, I have everything to gain.

Bottom line: Life on earth is a fleeting vapor trail. Your body is only

a mortal tent to live in temporarily. Your soul is the real you and is

immortal. Yes, you will live at one of two addresses for all eternity.

Choice is up to you.

a
AGW Hitman

Moves
25 Mar 08

PASCAL"S WAGER

Blaise Pascal entertained all of these same preliminary questions,

logical contradictions and obstacles as well. Perhaps you're already

familiar with the classic conclusion of his life long search for absolute

truth, referred to by scholars for centuries as "Pascal's Wager"...

#1. If I believe in God as revealed i ...[text shortened]... tal. Yes, you will live at one of two addresses for all eternity.

Choice is up to you.
Uhm the bottom line of Pascals wager was actually that sicne you've nothing to lose by worshipping god, but everything to gain, then you may as well worship.
You're reinterpretation has no linnk whatsoever with the original argument and doesn't even make sense within the context of the argument. You simply started Pascals wager, then halfway through jumped to an article of your personal faith!
In any case, Pascals wager has long been discredited (he never mentioned Jesus, just a general god like thingy) due to its unworkability. The eternity of paradise assumes that its only requirement is belief, yet the crux of the argument is that if you don't believe, you should LIE and this god thing might not realise.

As for the "Choice is up to you", you did read my mafia analogy, didn't you? Just up there, near the top of this page...