1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 02:37
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    Are you saying that you don't think slavery is necessarily a bad thing? Or are you trying to cloud the issue with some hypothetical subject which may or may not be bad but which people have agreed is bad? Because, frankly, either way all this sidestepping is getting a bit boring now; the OP was about where we get our moral guidance from and the discu ...[text shortened]... mpelled to argue against opinions expressed by others. Are you just trying to wind somebody up?
    You are putting words in my mouth, my views on slavery is that it is wrong, period
    and end of story. What we are discussing is by what standard. Back when it was
    more accepted, did that make it right back then? If the standard was, is, and
    always will be nothing but human opinion, you cannot have it both ways, today we
    say it is bad because most of us feel that way, but another time it was not the case!

The standard is what I care about not the topic of slavery, now people here seem
    to want to say it was always bad even though most people felt it was okay during
    the times it was accepted world wide. So our views change, does that mean there
    really isn't a static standard and even slavery by human views remain an off and
    on again topic we can accept or reject?
    Kelly
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 02:423 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You are putting words in my mouth, my views on slavery is that it is wrong, period
    always will be nothing but human opinion, you cannot have it both ways, today we
    say it is bad because most of us f d even slavery by human views remain an off and
    Kelly
    How do you reconcile your view with the fact that the "word of God" via the Bible gives permission to practice a brand of slavery that, for all intents and purposes, was not all that different from that which was practiced in the US including severely beating slaves - even to death (just not within 1 or 2 days)?
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 04:35
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    How do you reconcile your view with the fact that the "word of God" via the Bible gives permission to practice a brand of slavery that, for all intents and purposes, was not all that different from that which was practiced in the US including severely beating slaves - even to death (just not within 1 or 2 days)?
    The same way everyone else does with things they disagree with, I'd also point
    out during the Biblical times where this was practiced they were not like today.
    There were not civilians and soldiers many times it was cities fighting cities
    and everything was a stake. You'd prefer the total destruction? Also there wasn't
    a legal system where you could file bankrupty, you'd prefer prison and if there
    wasn't a prison some other painful result? Things were different back then I do not
    have to like it to accept that was the way it was.
    Kelly
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 05:00
    You say most as if that is a meaningful word here, the fact remains that even
    if 90% do accept it 10% don't. Look at the gun law debate, it does not matter
    that legal law bidding people are not doing the crimes, those are the ones that
    people want to change their rights, abortion debate where unborn are killed
    each time. Accepting laws and changing them ...[text shortened]... anything that binds us together where we are not pulling
    away in one place or another.
    Kelly
    you should pay attention to which post i am replying
    to otherwise your reply to my reply becomes irrelevant
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 05:471 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    you should pay attention to which post i am replying
    to otherwise your reply to my reply becomes irrelevant
    You may have a point here. 🙂
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 11:48
    say it is bad because most of us f ...[text shortened]... d even slavery by human views remain an off and
    Kelly
    I have not attempted to put words into your mouth KellyJay, I have simply tried to elicit your views on the subject of the OP of this thread, which has proved a rather tortuous ordeal I have to say. You now appear to be arguing that the moral guidelines offered by the bible need to be amended with reference to the societal norms in which one finds one's self, thus, as far as I can see, rendering them no more 'objective' than any other source of moral guidance and considerably less so than, for example, the laws of said society.

As to your query regarding potential future changes of moral guidelines which would again permit or champion the use slavery within our society, this appears to me to be an attempt at fallacious argument. Our society has evolved towards a more humane and moral outlook since the barbaric days of biblical scripture - how could a society possibly return to such views having risen above them? Surely it could not. For man to accept such would require the complete breakdown of our society to the point where barbarism and slavery would be preferable to whatever ruinous straits society had been reduced to.
  7. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 11:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    We Christians take the word of the Son of God that the soul exists. We make no effort to prove or disprove the soul's existence. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    You take the word of men. You take the word of men that magical, miraculous events happened thousands of years ago and that you are imbued with some sort of intangible, eternal essence, and rather than use your god-given critical faculties to consider these words, you gullibly swallow them whole and parrot them on to the next generation of ill-prepared 'believers', thus perpetuating (not to mention distorting and embellishing) this nonsense over history to the point where even some intelligent men fall victim to it's belief.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 12:06
    I have not attempted to put words into your mouth KellyJay, I have simply tried to elicit your views on the subject of the OP of this thread, which has proved a rather tortuous ordeal I have to say. You now appear to be arguing that the moral guidelines offered by the bible need to be amended with reference to the societal norms in which one finds on ...[text shortened]... rism and slavery would be preferable to whatever ruinous straits society had been reduced to.
    As I see it and please correct me if I'm wrong, morals are something either
    we come up with so they can change from tiime to time. If that is the case than
    anything that is accepted and rejected today could be rejected and accepted at
    some other point in time, and that is the long and short of it. There really isn't
    a static measure to know if one time has it right and another has it wrong because
    we are the bottom line.

The other way of looking at it, is that there is a static set of right and wrong that
    we can move to or away from. I don't see the 2nd one as real unless there is
    some higher power than man at work towards that end.

My views on the OT I'll asnwer just ask. I believe in God yes, I believe God is the
    same God in both the NT and OT. I believe our relationship with God changed over
    time, and God due to our nature worked with us and on us to bring us to the point
    where we valued one another. Now if you see that as something you'd like to
    get into feel free we can start another thread.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 12:08
    I have not attempted to put words into your mouth KellyJay, I have simply tried to elicit your views on the subject of the OP of this thread, which has proved a rather tortuous ordeal I have to say. You now appear to be arguing that the moral guidelines offered by the bible need to be amended with reference to the societal norms in which one finds on ...[text shortened]... rism and slavery would be preferable to whatever ruinous straits society had been reduced to.
    " how could a society possibly return to such views having risen above them?"

As water will not rise above its source our nature is our nature, look around
    the world. You think we have gone beyond killing one another in a heart beat?
    Kelly
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 12:20
    As I see it and please correct me if I'm wrong, morals are something either
    we come up with so they can change from tiime to time. If that is the case than
    anything that is accepted and rejected today could be rejected and accepted at
    some other point in time, and that is the long and short of it. There really isn't
    a static measure to know if one time ...[text shortened]... see that as something you'd like to
    get into feel free we can start another thread.
    Kelly
    I think you are wrong. I think that morals change in a positive direction as one becomes more and better informed. Once one learns of the negative consequences of an action in terms of human suffering, how can one, in good conscience, continue performing said action? To return to said action would require either to forget that learned knowledge or to learn that lack of performance of said action had negative consequences perceivably greater than those involved in it's performance.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    06 Jan '13 21:23
    I think that morals change in a positive direction as one becomes more and better informed.
    If we accept that morals change (as I do) and that there is no absolute
    "good" and no absolute "bad" then surely we must also accept that
    while we perceive that morality is changing for the good, that perception
    itself is only based on the fashion of the time.

e.g. From a Victorian perspective our morality is moving in a negative direction.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    07 Jan '13 05:35
    You take the word of men. You take the word of men that magical, miraculous events happened thousands of years ago and that you are imbued with some sort of intangible, eternal essence, and rather than use your god-given critical faculties to consider these words, you gullibly swallow them whole and parrot them on to the next generation of ill-prepar ...[text shortened]... onsense over history to the point where even some intelligent men fall victim to it's belief.
    These men were inspired of God and the evidence that I see indicates how true it is. Your unbelief is even part of the evidence. You may think I am gullible but it was not easy for me to be persuaded of the truth of the Holy Bible. But now I strongly believe in the risen Christ and I can not imagine anything that could change my mind. In my mind you are the gullible one to believe in the theory of evolution with absolutely no proof. Evolution is simply a stupid fairy tale for grownups and nothing more. You will never be saved by believing in such a fairy tale.
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Jan '13 07:52
    These men were inspired of God and the evidence that I see indicates how true it is. Your unbelief is even part of the evidence. You may think I am gullible but it was not easy for me to be persuaded of the truth of the Holy Bible. But now I strongly believe in the risen Christ and I can not imagine anything that could change my mind. In my mind you are ...[text shortened]... tale for grownups and nothing more. You will never be saved by believing in such a fairy tale.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    07 Jan '13 17:59
    The same way everyone else does with things they disagree with, I'd also point
    out during the Biblical times where this was practiced they were not like today.
    and everything was a stake. You'd prefer the total destruction? Also there wasn't
    a legal system where you could fil ...[text shortened]... ere different back then I do not
    have to like it to accept that was the way it was.
    Kelly
    and everything was a stake. You'd prefer the total destruction?

Don't understand your point here. You seem to be claiming that God condoning slavery which included severely beating slaves was required to avoid "total destruction".

Also there wasn't
    a legal system where you could file bankrupty, you'd prefer prison and if there
    wasn't a prison some other painful result?

Don't understand your point here either. I wasn't speaking of "indentured servants", but of a brand of slavery "that, for all intents and purposes, was not all that different from that which was practiced in the US ". This included "acquiring" individuals from foreign countries against their will and being allowed to beat them severely.
  15. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    07 Jan '13 18:241 edit
    These men were inspired of God and the evidence that I see indicates how true it is. Your unbelief is even part of the evidence. You may think I am gullible but it was not easy for me to be persuaded of the truth of the Holy Bible. But now I strongly believe in the risen Christ and I can not imagine anything that could change my mind. In my mind you are ...[text shortened]... tale for grownups and nothing more. You will never be saved by believing in such a fairy tale.
    Wanna buy a bridge? God says it's a nice one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree