1. Cape Town
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 08:17
    Originally posted by chaney3
    Does anyone on this forum actually know what their purpose in life is? If you are spiritual, does your spirituality impact your purpose?

I personally have not figured out my purpose in life, and was just curious if anyone would care to comment.
    I do not have a purpose, nor want a purpose. The word implies some special use of my life to someone else superseding my own desires. Sounds like slavery to me. Some of your posts talk of having purpose, which is a slightly different usage of the word which implies goals you set for yourself. I can certainly be purposeful and do set goals for myself, but have never had one overarching goal that supersedes all others, nor do I think I need one.
  2. Jo'Burg South Africa
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 12:53
    Does anyone on this forum actually know what their purpose in life is? If you are spiritual, does your spirituality impact your purpose?

I personally have not figured out my purpose in life, and was just curious if anyone would care to comment.
    A very very interesting question...makes one think. There has to be a purpose in everyone's life, what that is right now is hard to think about and if there is no purpose then it would have been better not being born at all. I think your question is giving me much thought, a new journey to find out what I possible think that purpose is, I may surprise myself.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 13:18

A purpose for one would mean one for all. That I suppose would mean that each of us were designed to live together as one. If not then some of us would not be as important as others. I BELIEVE that God created us to love one another putting none above another, so I believe we were made to share in each of our lives.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 14:42
    I doubt that anyone can elicit consensus agreement on an acceptable purpose in life but I will propose the following. At any given time I seek to achieve some intention or another. This is like a general purpose programming language that one day can be put to doing a tax return and the next day be put to composing music. My purpose changes, but it is always about achieving my intention. (When asleep and not dreaming I have no intention or my intention is dormant.)

As I said, this mat not satisfy, but it may at least move the conversation, to consider us to have the purpose of achieving our intentions, which vary from person to person.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 15:18
    Originally posted by JS357
    I doubt that anyone can elicit consensus agreement on an acceptable purpose in life but I will propose the following. At any given time I seek to achieve some intention or another. This is like a general purpose programming language that one day can be put to doing a tax return and the next day be put to composing music. My purpose changes, but it is always ab ...[text shortened]... o consider us to have the purpose of achieving our intentions, which vary from person to person.
    Okay, so a person's purpose may be to set goals for themselves and strive to achieve those goals. And when a goal is achieved, to set another. This sounds close to what twitehead said above, I believe. But the question can still be said in a different way:

How many actually make a clear effort to set goals, and follow up with 'purpose' to achieve those goals?

I know many people who don't have any specific goals set, with nothing really to achieve, except getting through the workday.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 15:395 edits
    Okay, so a person's purpose may be to set goals for themselves and strive to achieve those goals. And when a goal is achieved, to set another. This sounds close to what twitehead said above, I believe. But the question can still be said in a different way:

How many actually make a clear effort to set goals, and follow up with 'purpose' to achieve those go ...[text shortened]... have any specific goals set, with nothing really to achieve, except getting through the workday.
    What is the real question here? We all have plans of sorts even if all that we want to do is
    make through a work day, that is a plan is it not? A real purpose in this life would have to
    be much deeper than what do I want to do for the next 8 hours. Unless you think our
    whims and desires are all that you were referring too.

If life were a chess game than our lives would be pieces and if our desires would be to
    capture what is in front of us that could blind us to the real purpose is the game.

Though each piece may fail to understand the purpose of the losses and captures
    around the match that could delude some in seeing winning a piece as always a good
    thing when in fact it could be bad, or losing a piece as a bad thing when it fact it could be
    good. Each move would have a meaning more than shear numbers of what is really going
    on around them. The purpose may not be clear to us, but that does not mean there isn't
    one.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 15:47

How many actually make a clear effort to set goals, and follow up with 'purpose' to achieve those go ...[text shortened]... have any specific goals set, with nothing really to achieve, except getting through the workday.
    So far today I have had the intention of having breakfast and responding to this thread, as my biggest achievements. A lot of even smaller intentions along the way. The current overarching intention of thr week is to help my daughter with her new baby. You could probably say one of my ultimate purposes is to achieve my intention to be a good dad. So little things like having breakfast are part of it.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 16:121 edit

i was created and saved to build up the New Jerusalem for a corporate expression of God mingled with man for man's enjoyment and God's eternal glory.

That is why I exist. This should be more common wisdom. This is not for an elite. This is for all who are opened hearted to God's eternal purpose.

http://www.godseconomy.org/
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 19:11
    Originally posted by sonship
    i was created and saved to build up the [b]New Jerusalem for a corporate expression of God mingled with man for man's enjoyment and God's eternal glory.

That is why I exist. This should be more common wisdom. This is not for an elite. This is for all who are opened hearted to God's eternal purpose.

http://www.godseconomy.org/[/b]
    How does a person conform their own will to meet that of God's will for them? A purpose is certain to develop if you can figure that out.
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 21:08
    How does a person conform their own will to meet that of God's will for them? A purpose is certain to develop if you can figure that out.

Open up your heart to the Lord Jesus Christ. Start talking to Him.

What do I mean by "open up your heart" ? I mean you come to Jesus will a willingness to have God work in you and change you. The Holy Spirit is symbolized as a dove. That is a very gentle creature, easily shewed away.

The Spirit of Jesus Christ is symbolized as a gentle dove. Remember, the change of God in a man's life is powerful and unto eternity. He can afford to be GENTLE, none coercive, considerate as to how much you can take at one time,

Open to this gentle Divine Gentleman the Lord Jesus.

What do I mean "Talk to Him." I mean talk to Him in prayer. Come with -

Thanksgiving - Surely you can think of something to thank God for.
    Praise - Set Christ above in adoration, exalt His name in praise -

"Lord Jesus. I praise you for being God's Son, for being my Redeemer, for dying for me, for rising from the grave for me, for overcoming the devil for me, and for your ability to come and LIVE in me. Thank you Lord Jesus."

Come to Him with confession. In confession be SPECIFIC. There is no way you are aware of ALL of the offenses you have committed against God and your fellowman. God does not expect you to know at one moment ALL of the iniquity you have done.

But you are aware of SOME things. Confess that these were indeed sins.

Confession is not a promise to self reform or change your behavior. It is an acknowledgement that you now AGREE with God. No more controversy concerning that thing. No more excuse or pressing down your conscience. You freely now admit that you agree with God - "Lord Jesus, THAT ... was my sin. Cleanse me now in your redeeming blood."

Mention much the cleansing of the blood of Jesus. That destroys the hold of Satan over you. "They overcame him [the accuser] by the blood of the Lamb ..." .

If you have difficulty knowing what you may confess and bring under the cleansing blood of Christ refer to the members of your body.

EYES - What you have recently look at that was sinful - You now confess.
    EARS - What you have given yourself to listen to that was sinful - you now confess.
    MOUTH - What you have spoken that you remember was sinful - You now confess.

HANDS - What you have handled sinfully that you recall - You now confess.
    FEET - Where you have gone which was displeasing to a holy God - You now confess.

You CONFESS that in yourself, you are helpless, hopeless, and need Jesus to come into your heart.

You CONFESS that you are opened to live unto Him if He will grant you grace.
    This is a start to let the live of Christ come in and indwell your innermost spiritual being.

That is enough for one Internet post. You have to learn to take JESUS as your everything.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 21:11

We should converse privately by PM if you are serious. If you are just being conversational for discussion's sake in public, this medium is ok.
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 21:40
    Perhaps the purpose of some people's lives is to find their life's purpose.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    05 Sep '16 22:201 edit
    It blew me away when this revolutionary truth dawned upon me -

God is a Person. I mean SOMEONE you can take your problem to. Your problem - your impossible knot of a mess. God knows and can hear and is a living Person.

God is a living Person. There is no comparison to Him and taking your problem to a force, or a dogma, or a vibration.

You can take your thorny, knotty, intricate, impossible, deeply PERSONAL hassle to Jesus.

He's a Person - an unusual Person yes, a supernatural Person yes, BUT He is Someone who loves and cares and does an inside job as nothing else and no one can do an inside healing.

You can touch the Lord Jesus like this - CALLING on His name -

"O Lord Jesus! O Lord Jesus. Hear my cry to You O Lord. Lord Jesus! Lord You said You are RICH to ALL who call upon You."

This is part of the Gospel of God as a Person - a Living One.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 00:06
    Originally posted by JS357
    Perhaps the purpose of some people's lives is to find their life's purpose.
    Perhaps some people can't find their purpose in life so they tell themselves a supernatural being has given them one.
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 06:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps some people can't find their purpose in life so they tell themselves a supernatural being has given them one.
    Perhaps those who see no divine purpose make up their own.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree