1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 06:46
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Perhaps those who see no divine purpose make up their own.
    If there were a "divine purpose" then it would be clear to humans rather than being something that religionists of a thousand different stripes fulminate about without a shred of evidence.
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 06:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    If there were a "divine purpose" then it would be clear to humans rather than being something that religionists of a thousand different stripes fulminate about without a shred of evidence.
    So if it's not clear to you then it's not clear for anybody else?

And if other people accept evidence and you don't it means you are right and they are wrong?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 07:08
    And if other people accept evidence and you don't it means you are right and they are wrong?
    What "evidence"? Things like your assertions, even in harness with your undisputed certainty and assumed sincerity, do not constitute evidence. If you had evidence of convincing "divine purpose" you'd surely be presenting it all the time and then just about everybody would see and it and agree with you. But instead, you spend all your time making mere assertions.
  4. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 07:121 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    What "evidence"? Things like your assertions, even in harness with your undisputed certainty and assumed sincerity, do not constitute evidence. If you had evidence of convincing "divine purpose" you'd surely be presenting it all the time and then just about everybody would see and it and agree with you. But instead, you spend all your time making mere assertions.
    Two different people can look at the same evidence and reach two different conclusions. That's why there are theists and atheists. Believers and unbelievers. Believers believe in the evidence they see, unbelievers choose not to.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 07:15
    Two different people can look at the same evidence and reach two different conclusions. That's why there are theists and atheists.
    It seems an absolutely preposterous way for a supernatural being to handle its own revelation. If there is a "divine purpose" for my life, then it is, for all practical intents and purposes, being kept secret from me.
  6. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 07:28
    Originally posted by FMF
    It seems an absolutely preposterous way for a supernatural being to handle its own revelation. If there is a "divine purpose" for my life, then it is, for all practical intents and purposes, being kept secret from me.
    So basically your free-will is preposterous? You would much rather be a robot?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 07:35
    So basically your free-will is preposterous? You would much rather be a robot?
    You seem to have skipped a few paragraphs.
  8. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 09:36
    Originally posted by FMF
    You seem to have skipped a few paragraphs.
    And you seem to have skipped answering my question.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 09:55
    And you seem to have skipped answering my question.
    Your question was a complete non-sequitur. Perhaps you should try posing it again in a different way.
  10. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 10:041 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Your question was a complete non-sequitur. Perhaps you should try posing it again in a different way.
    What I was implying as that assuming God gave you free-will and due to the choices you have made you may have missed his divine purpose. The other alternative (had you no free will) would be if God had made you a robot. So the question is which would you prefer.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 10:48
    What I was implying as that assuming God gave you free-will and due to the choices you have made you may have missed his divine purpose. The other alternative (had you no free will) would be if God had made you a robot. So the question is which would you prefer.
    If you think what I wrote about my purpose[s] in life as I see them gives you reason to think I am a robot or that I am not exercising free will in the way I live my life, then ask a question about that, but give it some thought please because the way you're addressing me over this sounds nonsensical and kind of fumbling. If you ask me a proper question that is in response to what I have revealed about myself, I will answer it.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '16 23:40
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you think what I wrote about my purpose[s] in life as I see them gives you reason to think I am a robot or that I am not exercising free will in the way I live my life, then ask a question about that, but give it some thought please because the way you're addressing me over this sounds nonsensical and kind of fumbling. If you ask me a proper question that is in response to what I have revealed about myself, I will answer it.
    The way I see it, all of your replies on this page can all be boiled down to the same reply: "What?"

And with all the hypocrisy that comes with it.
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 00:14
    What does free will have to do with the preceding conversation? Whether FMF has free will or not is irrelevant to whether he is able to discern a divinely inspired purpose to his life. Unless this is one of those "You choose not to see." points, in which case free will still has not much to do with it. If you think there is evidence that should be apparent to FMF and isn't then maybe you should say what it is rather than going on about FMF using free will to deny it.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 00:27
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    The way I see it, all of your replies on this page can all be boiled down to the same reply: "What?"

And with all the hypocrisy that comes with it.
    Welcome to this thread; Suzianne. The topic is 'Your purpose in life'.
  15. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    07 Sep '16 03:221 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    What does free will have to do with the preceding conversation? Whether FMF has free will or not is irrelevant to whether he is able to discern a divinely inspired purpose to his life. Unless this is one of those "You choose not to see." points, in which case free will still has not much to do with it. If you think there is evidence that should be app ...[text shortened]... then maybe you should say what it is rather than going on about FMF using free will to deny it.
    If free will has no bearing on belief then what does? How do you explain that two brothers that grew up in exactly the same environment can have different beliefs? Surely if two people are presented with the same evidence, one person can choose to believe it and another person can choose to reject it? The fact that one person believes in the evidence shows that the evidence was at least convincing to them. If two people hear the 'word of God', one person can choose to harden their heart and reject it and the other person can submit and accept it. So I believe there are two types of people in the world, the one submits to the divine purpose of God and says to God "your will be done", the other person chooses not to submit to the will of God. That's how I see it anyway.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree