Your Purpose in Life

Your Purpose in Life

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Surely if two people are presented with the same evidence, one person can choose to believe it and another person can choose to reject it?
People can't "choose" to believe something that they find unbelievable.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
People can't "choose" to believe something that they find unbelievable.
But they still decide what is believable and what is not.

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

So I believe there are two types of people in the world, the one submits to the divine purpose of God and says to God "your will be done", the other person chooses not to submit to the will of God.
Your belief that there is a "will of God" to which we ought to "submit" is purely subjective on your part but I will perhaps come to realize that I believe it too some day if you offer some convincing evidence that gives me reason to do so, However, you never have. In fact, I can't remember you ever offering evidence: just assertions and claims.

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

But they still decide what is believable and what is not.
I don't think so. I don't think it can be described credibly as a decision. If there is an example from your own life of you "deciding" to believe something that you don't believe, why not offer it as an illustration.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Your belief that there is a "will of God" to which we ought to "submit" is purely subjective on your part but I will perhaps come to realize that I believe it too some day if you offer some convincing evidence that gives me reason to do so, However, you never have. In fact, I can't remember you ever offering evidence: just assertions and claims.
So in essence what you are saying is that you cannot choose what you want to believe and what you don't want to believe? Does that not mean you are a robot then with no free will?

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

So in essence what you are saying is that you cannot choose what you want to believe and what you don't want to believe? Does that not mean you are a robot then with no free will?
In essence what I am saying is that people can't "choose" to believe something that they find unbelievable. If you think they can, give me an example.

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

Does that not mean you are a robot then with no free will?
A robot "believes" what it is told to believe. I don't think your robot analogy works at all.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
In essence what I am saying is that people can't "choose" to believe something that they find unbelievable. If you think they can, give me an example.
Is 'belief' a choice or not?

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

So basically your free-will is preposterous? You would much rather be a robot?
If you think I am a robot or that I am not exercising free will in the way I live my life (as described on page 1), just say why.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
A robot "believes" what it is told to believe. I don't think your robot analogy works at all.
Actually a robot has no beliefs because it has no free will. So my analogy works perfectly.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
If you think I am a robot or that I am not exercising free will in the way I live my life (as described on page 1), just say why.
I assume you have beliefs of your own and hence you have a free will. When did I say I thought you were a robot?

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

Is 'belief' a choice or not?
A person cannot "choose" to believe something that they find unbelievable. If you think they can, then I don't understand your concept of what "belief" is. One has the "choice" of pretending or claiming to believe whatever they want. I could "choose" to tell you that I believe everything you claim about the "will of God" but I cannot "choose" to believe it if I find your claim unbelievable.

F

Moves
07 Sep 16
1 edit

I assume you have beliefs of your own and hence you have a free will. When did I say I thought you were a robot?
Explain your robot analogy then in the context of this thread's topic and what I have revealed to you about myself [regarding what I perceive as my purpose[s] in life].

F

Moves
07 Sep 16

Actually a robot has no beliefs because it has no free will. So my analogy works perfectly.
So how does the robot analogy apply to me in your mind?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
07 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
A person cannot "choose" to believe something that they find unbelievable. If you think they can, then I don't understand your concept of what "belief" is. One has the "choice" of pretending or claiming to believe whatever they want. I could "choose" to tell you that I believe everything you claim about the "will of God" but I cannot "choose" to believe it if I find your claim unbelievable.
That's not what I asked you. I asked you whether 'belief' is a choice? Yes or No?