Your Purpose in Life

Your Purpose in Life

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
How does this analogy apply to your superstitious beliefs about supernatural events and beings ~ which you cannot demonstrate to be "true" other than in your imagination and according to your sincere personal opinion ~ unlike the worm's presence in the apple which can be demonstrated?
Obviously I can't demonstrate that they are true to you because you have the ability to reject any evidence you want to reject. There are other people who accept the evidence. You don't.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
You seem to be missing the glaringly obvious fact - which is that the above statement applies to you just as much as it applies to anyone else.
Obviously I think it applies to me. I am the one claiming we all share the same reality after all.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Obviously I think it applies to me. I am the one claiming we all share the same reality after all.
Calling what you believe ~ when it comes to supernaturalism, mysticism, and mythology ~ "universal" and "absolute truth" and "real" and "perfect" does not lend any weight to your claims.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

Obviously I can't demonstrate that they are true to you because you have the ability to reject any evidence you want to reject. There are other people who accept the evidence. You don't.
And this is supposed to be the mechanism for "salvation" designed by a "divine entity" who - reportedly - "loves" everyone and wants everyone to be "saved" after their little terrestrial stints on staging-post Earth? Blimey. Pull the other one. 😕

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
Calling what you believe ~ when it comes to supernaturalism, mysticism, and mythology ~ "universal" and "absolute truth" and "real" and "perfect" does not lend any weight to your claims.
When did I say it does?

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

When did I say it does?
I am saying that attaching those kinds of labels to your personal beliefs doesn't add any weight to the delusions-of-grandeur surrounding the ideology you propagate here regardless of whether you think it does or not.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
And this is supposed to be the mechanism for "salvation" designed by a "divine entity" who - reportedly - "loves" everyone and wants everyone to be "saved" after their little terrestrial stints on staging-post Earth? Blimey. Pull the other one. 😕
I assume that truth exists and that truth is knowable by all. Do you not think that all your beliefs are true? Or are you claiming that no one can know the truth?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16
3 edits

Originally posted by FMF
I am saying that attaching those kinds of labels to your personal beliefs doesn't add any weight to the delusions-of-grandeur surrounding the ideology you propagate here regardless of whether you think it does or not.
Of course I believe that my beliefs are true. Why else would I believe them? You on the other hand don't seem to know whether or not your own beliefs are true or not. Tell me is the statement "God exists" true or false?

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
21 Sep 16

If you posit a universal moral law you have to posit a moral law maker.
Why does the existence of a universal moral law entail a moral law maker? What is it about universal moral law that requires the maker - that it is universal, that it is concerned with morality or that it is a law?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by DeepThought
Why does the existence of a universal moral law entail a moral law maker? What is it about universal moral law that requires the maker - that it is universal, that it is concerned with morality or that it is a law?
I would say all 3.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

I assume that truth exists and that truth is knowable by all. Do you not think that all your beliefs are true? Or are you claiming that no one can know the truth?
I have no reason to believe that you will enjoy immortality because you believe in Jesus - as is your belief and claim - and you referring to such beliefs as "truth" or "absolute truth" or "universal truth" doesn't mean anything to me. It certainly doesn't make your beliefs "true".

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
I have no reason to believe that you will enjoy immortality because you believe in Jesus - as is your belief and claim - and you referring to such beliefs as "truth" or "absolute truth" or "universal truth" doesn't mean anything to me. It certainly doesn't make your beliefs "true".
My beliefs are either true or false. Same for your beliefs. Do you have any reason to believe that your beliefs are true? That is if you have any.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

Of course I believe that my beliefs are true. Why else would I believe them? You on the other hand don't seem to know whether or not your own beliefs are true or not.
You don't "know" that you will be "saved" as a result of Jesus' "sacrifice" and then have an "afterlife". But both you and I do know we are going to die eventually. I think we need to use the word "know" in a way that means something to both of us. I don't know that God exists, and based on everything you've said to me on this forum, neither do you. I know and understand that you believe He does.

F

Moves
21 Sep 16

My beliefs are either true or false. Same for your beliefs. Do you have any reason to believe that your beliefs are true? That is if you have any.
Which beliefs of mine are you talking about?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Sep 16

Originally posted by FMF
You don't "know" that you will be "saved" as a result of Jesus' "sacrifice" and then have an "afterlife". But both you and I do know we are going to die eventually. I think we need to use the word "know" in a way that means something to both of us. I don't know that God exists, and based on everything you've said to me on this forum, neither do you. I know and understand that you believe He does.
Do you know that if God were to exist, no one would know about it?