1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 16:24
    Originally posted by stocken
    It's still a bit out of place in a discussion on Zarathushtra, perhaps.

No shit! 😠
    So what? If the discussion is interesting don't cut it. Who cares where it is? I don't.
  2. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 16:291 edit
    Originally posted by Palynka
    So what? If the discussion is interesting don't cut it. Who cares where it is? I don't.
    I'm not trying to cut it. I'm trying to move it where it belongs. That way, if it's really interesting (and I think it's getting there) it should be easy to find later, should I want to.

However, after this little faux pas, I'm sure I won't forget where it is.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 16:36
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    The noumenon here is not a philosophical idea - but the human being himself/herself.

Kant's view (including the Categories) is an explanation of how a human being really functions. Therefore, Kant's view is a description of (one aspect of) the noumenon of the human being - something his view claims he cannot know.
    I thought you were referring to the "idea" that one cannot know the noumenon (hence your one cannot know that one cannot know).

If you meant the being himself I don't think Kant ever contradicted himself there. His "categories of the understanding" are exactly the ones that he claims we base our knowledge on, they are not a summary of what Man is or how he functions, and they don't pretend to be.

For Kant there is more to the noumenon that can be explained by phenomena, hence there are things in Man that we will never be able to perceive or explain.

It's been a long time since I read Kant and I may be mixing what I took from him with something of mine, but that's how I remember it...
  4. London
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 17:14
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I thought you were referring to the "idea" that one cannot know the noumenon (hence your one cannot know that one cannot know).

If you meant the being himself I don't think Kant ever contradicted himself there. His "categories of the understanding" are exactly the ones that he claims we base our knowledge on, they are not a summary of what Man is or how h ...[text shortened]... y be mixing what I took from him with something of mine, but that's how I remember it...
    My reading of Kant is that he claimed we could not know anything about the noumenon (except, perhaps, that it exists) - all we can know is the phenomena. So, if I see a tree, I know nothing of the tree in itself, I only know the phenomenon of the tree as my senses perceive it.
  5. Joined
    23 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jan '06 17:26
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    My reading of Kant is that he claimed we could not know anything about the noumenon (except, perhaps, that it exists) - all we can know is the phenomena. So, if I see a tree, I know nothing of the tree in itself, I only know the phenomenon of the tree as my senses perceive it.
    Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)

Noumenon \Nou"me*non\, n. [NL. fr. Gr. ? the thing perceived, p.
    pr. pass. of ? to perceive, ? the mind.] (Metaph.)
    The of itself unknown and unknowable rational object, or
    thing in itself, which is distinguished from the phenomenon
    through which it is apprehended by the senses, and by which
    it is interpreted and understood; -- so used in the
    philosophy of Kant and his followers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree