‘Eternal suffering’ is nonsensical

‘Eternal suffering’ is nonsensical

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
08 Feb 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
You’re really a fan of the word “risible,” aren’t you? Glad to see you’re improving your vocabulary; you’ll be George Will in no time.

But remember: An impressive vocabulary can mask flawed thinking but not eliminate it. Better to improve your thinking via education on the subjects you’re discussing than relying on a synonym finder to sound more intelligent.
More banter.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Feb 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
Firing your ancient religious texts at me in frunstration is pointless as I have skin as thick as Galveston75’s skull.
Not “firing” them “in frustration” - just hoping to educate you.

And it’s curious that you’re a Christian who both mocks God and refers to the Holy Bible as an “ancient text” that you apparently think quoting from is a form of attack.

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Feb 18

If you are seeking to judge God based on the concept of eternity in hell for the unsaved, then I would suggest you are making this judgment based on limited information. The same goes if you are judging other Christians who believe in that concept.

Truth is, we are not even sure annihilationism is incorrect, so that is yet another reason you should not mock or cast aspersions onto God for something that may not be sound doctrine.
Can you show me where I have been “judging” or “mocking” or “casting aspersions” onto God?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Feb 18

Whatever. His anger may manifest itself in more subtle ways than someone who directly attacks another or screams in all caps, but it’s there. I know it and he knows it. You probably know it too, your statement to the contrary notwithstanding.
So to be clear, you are claiming that FMF is secret anger monster who indirectly attacks people. He knows this, you know this and I know this. Is this what you are saying?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Feb 18

But remember: An impressive vocabulary can mask flawed thinking but not eliminate it. Better to improve your thinking via education on the subjects you’re discussing than relying on a synonym finder to sound more intelligent.
If you are feeling intimidated why don’t you pull out your “trolling toolbox” zinger again?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @jacob-verville
You referred to people of that time as bigoted.

Isn't bigot a form of condemnation?
Here’s what you said:

So do be open, then, and let me know why it is that you feel you have the right to condemn the church fathers and cherrypick the Bible.

How is me describing the people that Jesus was preaching to at that time as being bigoted, also me “condemning the church fathers”?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Feb 18

Not “firing” them “in frustration” - just hoping to educate you.
You are trying to educate me?

What about?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Feb 18
1 edit

And it’s curious that you’re a Christian who both mocks God and refers to the Holy Bible as an “ancient text” that you apparently think quoting from is a form of attack.
Many Christians in here use the bible’s text and a spiteful weapon when they feel intellectually outgunned. Josephw, Grammy Bobby, Sonship, Galveston75 (a JW), Checkbaiter, Lemon Lime to name just a few. You’ve not been here long enough to see it, but you are one of that group I suppose.

S. Korea

Moves
09 Feb 18

Here’s what you said:

So do be open, then, and let me know why it is that you feel you have the right to condemn the church fathers and cherrypick the Bible.

How is me describing the people that Jesus was preaching to at that that as being bigoted, also me “condemning the church fathers”?
The Church fathers affirm what Christ said.

Christ spoke of hell. Christ had a message that was tailored to bigots.

Were the Church fathers also just tailoring their messages to a bigoted generation, or was there something else at play? Were they in on fooling the normies or some such?

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Feb 18

The Church fathers affirm what Christ said.

Christ spoke of hell. Christ had a message that was tailored to bigots.

Were the Church fathers also just tailoring their messages to a bigoted generation, or was there something else at play? Were they in on fooling the normies or some such?
Here’s what you said:

How is me describing the people that Jesus was preaching to at that time as being bigoted, also me “condemning the church fathers”?

S. Korea

Moves
09 Feb 18

Here’s what you said:

Hey guess what, the name changed. I thought this would be an ideal place to showcase it with a first post.

Now we can grow together in New ways.

Any who, the answer would only be that if the followers of Christ were bigots, wouldn't that mean that the leadership that came from that following, who likewise believed in a very narrow and classical way, Was also bigoted?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Feb 18
8 edits

Many Christians in here use the bible’s text and a spiteful weapon when they feel intellectually outgunned. Josephw, Grammy Bobby, Sonship, Galveston75 (a JW), Checkbaiter, Lemon Lime to name just a few. You’ve not been here long enough to see it, but you are one of that group I suppose.

Genetic fallacy for #1.
The truth or falsity of eternal damnation does not depend upon the motives of the one speaking about it. If it is true, my being a mean person doesn't make it not true.

So we examine if Christ taught the matter, and how should we interpret the Bible's words in several places. That's all.

And before Christ - Daniel prophesied that some would awake from the dust of physical death to "reproach and eternal contempt" (Dan. 12:2) .

This written centuries before the Christian church.

Now to feeling intellectually outgunned - for #2. Well, YOU Divegeester, come across as resorting to posts about billions screaming as Jesus looks on when YOU fail to make a case from Scripture for even other unrelated matters.

"Don't forget. Whatever the subject, so-and-so likes eternal torture !"

Seems to me resorting to these measures is YOUR characteristic when you don't have a cogent reply to some biblical matter you disagree with.

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Feb 18

Originally posted by @philokalia
Hey guess what, the name changed. I thought this would be an ideal place to showcase it with a first post.

Now we can grow together in New ways.

Any who, the answer would only be that if the followers of Christ were bigots, wouldn't that mean that the leadership that came from that following, who likewise believed in a very narrow and classical way, Was also bigoted?
I think you may be being deliberately stupid to try and make a point. One part of it is definitely working.

Want REAL change?

Vote for it!

Moves
09 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @sonship
Genetic fallacy....
What on Earth is a “genetic fallacy”?

S. Korea

Moves
10 Feb 18