1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 19:33
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    I think an interesting solution would be to reduce Champions League places to 3, or up them to 5.

D
    reduce it to 2.

the champions of europe coming fith in their league...really?

this already happened with liverpool...came 4th i believe the year before and 5th when they where apparently the best team in europe.

it would also make the uefa cup more interesting...it looks pretty decent this year with milan and valencia in it, no?

i'd like to see the winners of the smaller leagues get a better chance to play the big clubs...possibly have a small group phase before seeded teams enter to stop the likes of glentoran or bohemians playing utd or madrid.
  2. Santiago
    Moves
    05 Dec '08 01:55
    I think an interesting solution would be to reduce Champions League places to 3, or up them to 5.

D
    Down to 3 definitely.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    08 Dec '08 14:21
    Originally posted by Hopster
    Down to 3 definitely.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7737736.stm

D
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 02:23
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7737736.stm

D
    i don't like this...it looks like a bit of a kick to the teeth for the second placed teams in the 7-13 leagues...looks at how the winners of these leagues are performing this year, they're not going to have a chance up against the likes of arsenal or real madrid the way they're playing this year.

plus who gets the extra spot? unless the holders come 5th in a top league or 4th in the second tier of leagues there's going to be one spot up for grabs. if man utd win the champions league again and come in the top 3 in the league do the 4th best team in england get the automatic spot? it looks like it helping the top clubs more than hindering them....
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 11:182 edits
    Originally posted by trev33
    i don't like this...it looks like a bit of a kick to the teeth for the second placed teams in the 7-13 leagues...looks at how the winners of these leagues are performing this year, they're not going to have a chance up against the likes of arsenal or real madrid the way they're playing this year.

plus who gets the extra spot? unless the holders come 5th in get the automatic spot? it looks like it helping the top clubs more than hindering them....
    It's inconsistent.

On one hand, the two qualification paths seems to want to treat champions differently than runners-up. That's not a bad idea, bringing it back to the 'champions' part of the CL. But then why the heck aren't the 3rd place teams from 1-3 in qualification path 2?

Also, it's a bit weird to fix the number of champions at 17 in the group stages. There can never be more or less. I can understand the reasons behind introducing a minimum of X champions, but why make a system that also prevents more champions from being in there? I would prefer to see some of the champions who didn't make it through path 1 to be given a chance via path 2.

Edit - From a Portuguese perspective, this would make it very hard to get a second team in so it would definitely kick us in the teeth. It seems to me that although there'll be more champions from lower leagues, there will also be even more cases of the big 3 leagues having 4 teams in (potentially 5).
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '08 17:26
    Originally posted by Palynka
    It's inconsistent.

On one hand, the two qualification paths seems to want to treat champions differently than runners-up. That's not a bad idea, bringing it back to the 'champions' part of the CL. But then why the heck aren't the 3rd place teams from 1-3 in qualification path 2?

Also, it's a bit weird to fix the number of champions at 17 in the group s ...[text shortened]... ere will also be even more cases of the big 3 leagues having 4 teams in (potentially 5).
    I would prefer to see some of the champions who didn't make it through path 1 to be given a chance via path 2.

whats the point...teams from cyprus and lithuania don't have a chance to qualify against the big teams...no wait.....well they definitely won't pick up any wins if they do get through....well not against any decent teams away....wait, crap....i think you're right 😲😵

i think they want more than 50% of the teams to be the winners of their leagues but i think there should be a min of 20 champions in the champions league....coming 4th in your league and playing in the 'champions' league is ridiculous.

From a Portuguese perspective, this would make it very hard to get a second team in so it would definitely kick us in the teeth. It seems to me that although there will be more champions from lower leagues, there will also be even more cases of the big 3 leagues having 4 teams in (potentially 5)

this is exactly my point.....there's already a big enough gap between the likes of rangers, ajax and benfica and arsenal, ac milan and Villarreal without giving the 4th placed team places in the money spinning CL at the expense of the 2nd placed teams in the 3rd tier of teams.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    11 Dec '08 13:26
    Is Wenger a GENIUS!~ if Porto draw Inter and Arsenal draw Panathinaikos?
  8. 6yd box
    Moves
    13 Dec '08 00:37
    Is Wenger a GENIUS!~ if Porto draw Inter and Arsenal draw Panathinaikos?
    NO!
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    17 Dec '08 00:25
    Is Wenger a GENIUS
    hahahahaha...very funny...he's now a long way from that destinction!

Perhaps he'll finally wake up in January and go out and buy a leader as currently Arsenal are not real CL or Prem contenders...If Arsenal get Barca on friday it will be exactly what Wenger deserves for the way they played on wednesday!
  10. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '08 11:21
    Originally posted by spurs73
    Although HENRY did get the ball in the next... was he a good captain? I would say NO.

Wenger made him captain to keep him at the club, as they needed a BIG name when they moved to their new studium as the season ticket sells would have really hurt them.

Not sure why Wenger choses Frence players as captain, whats wrong with Kalo Toura? (he was captain befroe Gallis come to the club after Vira left.)
    got the ball in the next???????????

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree