Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    21 Apr '08 14:09
    Promises to be a great game.

    I expect United to set the stall out very defensively in the first half of the first leg, playing the usual 4-5-1 away from home in Europe.

    My starting line up would be :
    VDS,
    Brown, Vidic, Rio, Evra
    Rooney, Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves, Giggs,
    Ronaldo.

    utilising the experience of Scholes and Giggs in the first half. Scholes, in the twilight of his career needs legs longside him in midfield, hence Carrick holding, and Hargreaves playing box to box.

    Depending on how things are going, I'd use Anderson for Scholes, Nani for Giggs, and possibly Tevez coming on as well, either on 50 minutes if things have gone very wrong, or after 60 minutes if it is still 0-0. I believe the added urgency and mobility of those 3 players can make a huge difference against a team which may feel that they have us figured out. All 3 have shown the ability to be impact players when used as subs.

    While Evra has been the best left back in the league this season, Hughes exploited his 1 obvious weekness at the weekend: his lack of height. Pushing Santa Cruz out right and playing high diagonals was a tactical master stroke by Sparky. Against Barca however, it'll be the dribbling skills of Messi which Evra will have to deal with... one of Evra's strengths.

    I can't really call it. I'd expect at a maximum 1 goal each in Barcelona, although Puyol being missing may be a pivotal point. 1-1 would be a superb result for United, IMHO. 2-1 and we'd be through.

    It should be good.

    D
  2. 21 Apr '08 14:35
    C'mon Barca!
  3. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    21 Apr '08 14:49
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    C'mon Barca!
    I don't blame you.

    If my team had been hammered off the pitch the last time we played, I'd also be praying that we wouldn't meet again.

    Are you looking forward to the Pool - Chelski games? I've a feeling Liverpools tactics of reducing the game to something like an Under 8s match, with practically the whole team compressed into the middle third will beat Chelski's tactics of boring their opposition into submission.

    D
  4. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    21 Apr '08 16:56
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    While Evra has been the best left back in the league this season, Hughes exploited his 1 obvious weekness at the weekend: his lack of height.
    The goal was because your central defenders had a brain freeze, not because of Evra.
  5. 21 Apr '08 22:47
    Originally posted by Palynka
    The goal was because your central defenders had a brain freeze, not because of Evra.
    Combination of both...Evra was sleeping...should have covered his centre halves...Santa Cruz was on his toes and got his rewards.
  6. 21 Apr '08 22:55
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Promises to be a great game.

    I expect United to set the stall out very defensively in the first half of the first leg, playing the usual 4-5-1 away from home in Europe.

    My starting line up would be :
    VDS,
    Brown, Vidic, Rio, Evra
    Rooney, Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves, Giggs,
    Ronaldo.

    utilising the experience of Scholes and Giggs in the first half ...[text shortened]... be a superb result for United, IMHO. 2-1 and we'd be through.

    It should be good.

    D
    Agree with team selection Rag, although its possible Anderson may start.

    I cant wait for this game. If Man U show the urgency and desire of second half performance at Blackburn a victory is attainable.

    If its a cagey affair with 4 5 1 formation we should come out with a 1 1 draw.

    It would be great to see both sides go all out and attack reminiscent of the great games between Man U and Barca of recent times...but with Carlos around that aint gonna happen.
  7. Standard member Rooney Once a Blue
    Always a Red
    22 Apr '08 06:14
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Promises to be a great game.

    I expect United to set the stall out very defensively in the first half of the first leg, playing the usual 4-5-1 away from home in Europe.

    My starting line up would be :
    VDS,
    Brown, Vidic, Rio, Evra
    Rooney, Carrick, Scholes, Hargreaves, Giggs,
    Ronaldo.

    utilising the experience of Scholes and Giggs in the first half ...[text shortened]... be a superb result for United, IMHO. 2-1 and we'd be through.

    It should be good.

    D
    I think your team selection is probably right.
    You have to feel sorry for Tevez though, great player to bring on though with 30 minutes left if we need him.

    Maybe Anderson will start instead of Scholes, Barcelona's Messi and Henry may have too much pace and skill, so we'll need Andersons strength.

    As for the score, either 1-2 or 0-2 for United.

    At Anfield tonight 0-2 for Chelsea.
    Carrager and Gerrard are 1 booking from missing the 2nd leg and Chelsea know the importance of an away goal.
  8. 22 Apr '08 07:10
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    As for the score, either 1-2 or 0-2 for United.

    At Anfield tonight 0-2 for Chelsea.
    Once again big gob, would you like to bet on those results?

    No, of course you wouldn't.


    Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0
    Barcelona 2 Man Utd 1
  9. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    22 Apr '08 10:30
    Liverpool 0 - 0 Chelsea
    Barcelona 1 - 1 Man U
  10. Standard member Rooney Once a Blue
    Always a Red
    23 Apr '08 06:01
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Once again big gob, would you like to bet on those results?

    No, of course you wouldn't.


    Liverpool 1 Chelsea 0
    Barcelona 2 Man Utd 1
    Ok Liverpool played better than I expected (cup sides tend to do that).
    I also didn't realize that Essian was out.

    Still very confident it will be a United Chelsea final.
  11. Standard member Ragnorak
    For RHP addons...
    23 Apr '08 18:06 / 2 edits
    Vidic could be a big loss. It equalises the fact that Puyol is missing.

    It seems Fergie has accepted a weakened defence, and decided to go at Barca, which is probably the way to go.

    Ronaldo and Tevez up top? Fascinating selections.

    Deco could be the weak link in the Barca squad. I never truly rated him, even less so now.

    Anderson, Nani and Henry could be game changing subs.

    D
  12. 23 Apr '08 20:50
    So a 0-0 draw - that leaves it on a knife edge I suppose but from here I'd fancy Barca because an away score draw is all they need now - so much for United's passing tonight ehh
  13. 23 Apr '08 21:01
    I thought Man U defended really well. Back 4 and Scholes were immmense.

    Ferguson bizarre formation, substitutions and selection of Park were questionable tonight. It certainly didnt set team up to play with any fluidity.

    Barca will fancy their chances to score next week and Man U with a big game on Sat against Chelsea.

    However, one game away from final, at Old Trafford, its still a great chance for Man U next week.
  14. Standard member Virtue76
    King of the Ring-er
    23 Apr '08 21:05
    Originally posted by Doyle78
    I thought Man U defended really well. Back 4 and Scholes were immmense.

    Ferguson bizarre formation, substitutions and selection of Park were questionable tonight. It certainly didnt set team up to play with any fluidity.

    Barca will fancy their chances to score next week and Man U with a big game on Sat against Chelsea.

    However, one game away from final, at Old Trafford, its still a great chance for Man U next week.
    I agree, really strange formation. Rooney was never in the game, should have played Ronaldo out wide.

    Passing was shocking tonight.

    Scholes, Evra, Hargreaves and Van der sar all very good.
  15. 23 Apr '08 23:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Virtue76
    I agree, really strange formation. Rooney was never in the game, should have played Ronaldo out wide.

    Passing was shocking tonight.

    Scholes, Evra, Hargreaves and Van der sar all very good.
    United did their usual netball style defending by refusing to get within 5 yards of a midfield player while Barca fought like demons to try and get the ball off United by playing the pressing game. Result? Lots of Barca possession , United couldn't hold the ball. United made Barca look good. I think I could pass the ball about with ease if you give me 5 yards and no pressure. Stick a player in my shorts and I'll lose the ball. Simple really.

    I've never understood fergie's defend , slow , slow cagey tactics as it just doesn't suit United at all. Other teams are better at it then United. They have to go at Barca and risk conceding anyway so why do it at home when the goal you risk conceding is double? Roma are better than Barca in my opinion and United took them on. It was a bad case of too much respect tonight. Another worry is that United have not played with their usual swagger for some time now , they look nervy and twitchy to me as if the weight of what they could achieve has got to them. I hope Barca get their away goal early rather than in the last 5 minutes at 0-0

    If I was fergie I'd tell me team to take a "they score 3 we'll score 4 attitude ". Nothing ventured , nothing gained. They have to be braver than this . Remember Real Madrid 2000 , 0-0 away , 2-3 at home anyone? One own goal and game plan is out of the window. He who dares........get your gloves off united!!!!!