Beckham is Coming!

Beckham is Coming!

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

CA, USA

Moves
20 Jul 07

Pele couldn't interest us in soccer .. and he's the best ever isn't he?

I threw back a few beers with Geo Best down in Hermosa Beach back in the day .. he couldn't interest us in soccer either.
He was a lot of fun to drink with though .. babe magnet.

http://www.manutdzone.com/legends/GeorgeBest.htm

Beck and Posh are just cashing in, this has nothing to do with soccer at all IMO.
I see a lot of drama .. and maybe one goal.

Moves
20 Jul 07

he's going to struggle to inspire the youth of america to play football, with his constant injuries and age he's only got a couple of seasons left. two seasons of injury plagued, ineffectual football isnt going to capture the imagination of america.
he was a good player for the first four or five years of his career, since then he's beenl living on past reputations. his greatest skill was his crossing ability, but as his self opinion grew, it seems like he feels he is too good to be hugging the touchline doing a job for the team. he wants to be running the game like a midfield genius and we all know genius is the last thing he is.
how many long balls does he play for england? because he thinks his passing is amazing and because he sits deep in midfield, not pushing up the wing like he should, he just hits longballs all day. its like watching wimbledon in the 80's
mls will only get some respect when it signs a world class player that is under 30 years old.
dont get me started on his wife!!!

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
22 Jul 07

The media coverage of tonight's LA v. Chelsea match is pretty intense here in the US. With one of the big questions being whether Beckham will play and for how long.

ESPN did a 1 1/2 hour special on Becks before the start of the game.

The Galaxy are not good. It will be interesting to see how long the frenzy lasts.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
22 Jul 07

13-14 minutes and Becks struck one half-way decent ball.

s

6yd box

Moves
22 Jul 07

Originally posted by stellspalfie
[b]he's going to struggle to inspire the youth of america to play football, with his constant injuries and age he's only got a couple of seasons left.
I thought in the USA, 'soccor' was a big pass-time with the school kids and under 20ys?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
22 Jul 07
1 edit

Originally posted by spurs73
I thought in the USA, 'soccor' was a big pass-time with the school kids and under 20ys?
I'm not sure about the entire USA, but here in New England the soccer fields are now often set up for Lacrosse. It's getting very popular for some reason.

Yes, most kids do play soccer as a kid... but move onto grid iron, hoops, or baseball in their high school years. Probably tired of not scoring and 3-1 mega blow-out games that may come once a year.

Goal!

P-

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
22 Jul 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Probably tired of not scoring and 3-1 mega blow-out games that may come once a year.
Just about says it all really, pathetic.

w

Moves
22 Jul 07

Originally posted by Red Night
David Beckham's debut for Los Angeles Galaxy against Chelsea on Saturday is in doubt after he played a limited part in his first training session.
awwww and no gary neville there to make it better😀 what is he going to do😵😵😵

s

6yd box

Moves
22 Jul 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
I'm not sure about the entire USA, but here in New England the soccer fields are now often set up for Lacrosse. It's getting very popular for some reason.

Yes, most kids do play soccer as a kid... but move onto grid iron, hoops, or baseball in their high school years. Probably tired of not scoring and 3-1 mega blow-out games that may come once a year.

Goal!

P-
i see.... but some of the USA national soccor players have done very well in europe. Their are quite a few goalkeepers who have played/play as first choise in the English Prem league.

I wonder why the USA have produced so many decent 'keeprs' but not enough world class outfield players?

s

6yd box

Moves
22 Jul 07

Originally posted by wideawake
awwww and no gary neville there to make it better😀 what is he going to do😵😵😵
nice ONE!!!!

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
22 Jul 07

i see.... but some of the USA national soccor players have done very well in europe. Their are quite a few goalkeepers who have played/play as first choise in the English Prem league.

I wonder why the USA have produced so many decent 'keeprs' but not enough world class outfield players?
Perhaps us Americans are lazy and don't want to run all over the field. We want to sit in goal, and when that DARN BALL comes rolling in we like to dive and smother it with our fat bodies and cowboy hats.

Just a guess.

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
23 Jul 07

It is...don't listen to Phlabbibit.

The game has become much more popular than it was and we have produced many keepers and a growing number of position players.

Also, the MLS has become a much stronger league and will continue to attract top players and get better.

s

6yd box

Moves
23 Jul 07

Originally posted by Red Night
It is...don't listen to Phlabbibit.

The game has become much more popular than it was and we have produced many keepers and a growing number of position players.

Also, the MLS has become a much stronger league and will continue to attract top players and get better.
so Red how good are LA Glx. the team Becks has joined.... they did not look every good to me when i watched the Chealsea match highlights.

Who are the top teams in the MLS?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
23 Jul 07
1 edit

so Red how good are LA Glx. the team Becks has joined.... they did not look every good to me when i watched the Chealsea match highlights.

Who are the top teams in the MLS?
LA is not good. They are in second to last place. They have some new players and they are getting better. Don't be surpised if Shevchenko signs with the Galaxy next season. They will probably attempt to surround beckham with a group of aging international stars.

IMO, the best teams in the MLS are the Houston Dynamo and DC United. New England Revolution, FC Dallas, and Chivas USA are pretty good as well.

More of the top young US players are opting to play for the MLS, which is probably bad in the short run and good in the long run.

But for the help of the Referees and linesmen, Chelsea should have won by 4 goals.

m

Moves
24 Jul 07

As good as David Beckham really is, Chuck Norris is still the reason that waldo is hiding