1. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 20:52
    Originally posted by Red Night
    This is not a response to P or to slim jim who has made several similiar comments.

This is a broader statement to our european friends. Don't take the strong statements made by some of my fellow countrymen as indicitive of US feelings about soccer. It is becoming a much bigger sport over here. It is extremely popular with the youth and is rapidly bec ...[text shortened]... w the people making them as feeling threatened by the rapidly rising popularity of soccer here.
    Rapidly rising following of soccer here in the US. ROTFLMAO!!! Who is your dealer? I need some of the stuff you are smoking. If you think some washed up soccer star is going to chanbe the minds of Americans toward soccer. I have one word for that. Pele. Greatest player that ever lived and noboby here cared.
  2. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 20:54
    By the year 2050, the spanish speaking population in the US is projected to exceed 100 million people.

Unlike the rolling stones, time is decidedly not on your side Mr. Van Winkle.
    That's why second generation Hispanics are cheering on the Dallas Cowboys instead of soccer right?
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 22:48
    Originally posted by slimjim
    I have one word for that. Pele. Greatest player that ever lived and noboby here cared.
    Except for the 78,000 people who packed Giants stadium to see him play over 30 years ago.

I really have no interest in debating this point with either you or Phlabbibibibibit. You have voiced your opinion, however confused and misguided, and I have voiced mine.

I wanted only to make it clear to the many foreigners who read these threads that I did not believe that your collective opinion that NO ONE watched soccer in the US was true.

However, I agree with you that Beckham will not make the tremendous difference he is being hyped up to make.
  4. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 23:37
    Except for the 78,000 people who packed Giants stadium to see him play over 30 years ago.

I really have no interest in debating this point with either you or Phlabbibibibibit. You have voiced your opinion, however confused and misguided, and I have voiced mine.

I wanted only to make it clear to the many foreigners who read these threads that I did ...[text shortened]... gree with you that Beckham will not make the tremendous difference he is being hyped up to make.
    Oh hell I can get 78,000 to go see an wrestling match with the WWE. Sure the people went to see Pele at first. After a couple of weeks of falling asleep watching people fall down and cry to get a penalty it was back to usual. Soccer or Football sucks. That's all there is to that.
  5. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    24 Jul '07 23:49
    Oh hell I can get 78,000 to go see an wrestling match with the WWE. Sure the people went to see Pele at first. After a couple of weeks of falling asleep watching people fall down and cry to get a penalty it was back to usual. Soccer or Football sucks. That's all there is to that.
    They should hire you then because the WWE has never had a crowd that large in the USA.
  6. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 00:05
    They should hire you then because the WWE has never had a crowd that large in the USA.
    I don't think they need me since they have had a couple of them over 80,000 paying fans. Wrestlmania III in Detroit had 80,103 fans in attendance. So much for that argument.
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 17:522 edits
    I don't think they need me since they have had a couple of them over 80,000 paying fans. Wrestlmania III in Detroit had 80,103 fans in attendance. So much for that argument.
    Keep watching wrestling and dreaming of a soccer-free world.

I really didn't want to debate with you in the first place and I particularly don't want to discuss wrestling in the "sports" forum.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 17:57

I really didn't want to debate with you in the first place and I particularly don't want to discuss wrestling in the "sports" forum.
    Why not? Professional wrestlers are AMERICA's MOST FAMOUS ATHLETES.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 18:35
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Why not? Professional wrestlers are AMERICA's MOST FAMOUS ATHLETES.
    Wrestlers are not athletes, they're entertainers.
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 18:37
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Wrestlers are not athletes, they're entertainers.
    Or as we call them... ATHLENTERTETES.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 18:42
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Or as we call them... [b]ATHLENTERTETES.[/b]
    That's a bold statement.
  12. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 01:561 edit

Why? Is it because I blowed your statement concerning 80,000 fans at a wrestling match out of the water. I never said I wanted a soccer free word. You can watch that boring crap game as much as you like for all I care. The US will never be soccer crazy like the rest of the world.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 20:00
    Why? Is it because I blowed your statement concerning 80,000 fans at a wrestling match out of the water. I never said I wanted a soccer free word. You can watch that boring crap game as much as you like for all I care. The US will never be soccer crazy like the rest of the world.
    And thank God the rest of the world, almost without exception, will never get behind that boring crap sport, American Football.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 21:06
    Originally posted by treetalk
    And thank God the rest of the world, almost without exception, will never get behind that boring crap sport, American Football.
    Oh, no! Please love our sport, please!

Who gives a rat's ass if you like our sport? We do, and that's enough.

P-
  15. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    27 Jul '07 23:00
    This thread is about "The Sleeping Beauty", people! Let´s leave his busine$$ in peace!

About Beckham = The Sleeping Beauty: Thread 43807, page 4, 8th post.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree