1. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    28 Jul '07 08:25
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Oh, no! Please love our sport, please!

Who gives a rat's ass if you like our sport? We do, and that's enough.

P-
    Likewise, who gives a rat's ass what sports you consider crap?
  2. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 00:09
    Originally posted by treetalk
    And thank God the rest of the world, almost without exception, will never get behind that boring crap sport, American Football.
    That's because they are sissies like you who wouldn't last 10 minute on a American football field. I just love to watch soccer players grabbing their legs everytime someone touches them. Bunch of pussies.
  3. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 05:05
    Originally posted by slimjim
    That's because they are sissies like you who wouldn't last 10 minute on a American football field. I just love to watch soccer players grabbing their legs everytime someone touches them. Bunch of pussies.
    Ah ... is the appeal the 'toughness' of the sport? The macho, he-man, gung-ho marine type thing?

Why the pads and the interminable breaks?

Try rugby league or union, blouse boy.
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 10:01
    Ah ... is the appeal the 'toughness' of the sport? The macho, he-man, gung-ho marine type thing?

I've got all the respect in the world for rugby... those guys are nuts, and I don't know HOW they don't end up broken and dead.

NFL wears pads so they can hit harder, and come back to play again... frankly, I don't know how rugby players can play the game they play and survive.

Soccer is disappointing because they fake so much, take a stretcher ride and jump off to come running back in. Low scores also make it unbearable for some to watch.

P-
  5. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 10:54

I have nothing against rugby, but injuries are a big deal in the NFL. My point, the pads are not a fashion statement.
  6. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 15:55
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    I have nothing against rugby, but injuries are a big deal in the NFL. My point, the pads are not a fashion statement.
    As alway's, well said Money Man.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '04
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 19:35
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    I never said they were.

Go back a few posts and you'll see that I was responding to RHP's (self proclaimed) resident King Pin.
  8. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 20:19
    Originally posted by slimjim
    Dear Captain America:

If you don´t like football (FIFA rules), leave this forum. Respect the millions what like the sport. The world isn´t only black and white (or only red, white and blue, or whatever). There´s beauty when the football game is well played, despite the score either of 0 x 0.

What´s Bunch of pussies? Take off the uniform! And be more cordial! The fact to have 250 pages of posts don´t make you a better person!
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 22:321 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Soccer is disappointing because they fake so much, take a stretcher ride and jump off to come running back in. Low scores also make it unbearable for some to watch.
    If we ever meet up, I'll be sure to treat you to a 2 footed studs up tackle into the achilles. I've broken 5 bones playing soccer, and everyone of them hurt. In comparison, I've only broken 1 doing kickboxing (and 1 getting out of bed 😳 ). The leg tackle is illegal in american football and rugby (supposed tougher games) because it's so dangerous.

Have you ever stubbed your toe, and yelped with excrutiating pain, only to have forgotten about it a couple of minutes later?

The stretcher ride thing is actually a rule. If you get treatment while on the pitch, then you have to leave it as soon as possible to continue receiving treatment to allow the game to continue. Now if the only treatment you need is a couple of minutes recovery time but are still currently feeling the hurt, then you're not going to walk off (at professional level).

Having said that, it's obvious that some players do play act, which is annoying. There are also some dour 0-0 draws in soccer. But there are also some beautiful 0-0 draws, where excellent defensive play negates the attacking play. I remember watching one of Italy's games in the last world cup, which ended 0-0 after 90 minutes which was one of the best games of football I've ever seen, with Cannavaro especially giving an absolute masterclass in defensive play. (As I said at the time..."Italy V Germany. Greatest 0-0 ever. " )

For you to dismiss this game as boring is purely due to your ignorance of the game, and the intricacies of the play which are taking place all over the pitch. When watching soccer, don't just watch the guy with the ball, watch the runs off the ball, watch the people making space for others, watch the defenders following runs off the ball, and their compatriots running to refill the vacated space.

Similarily, it's probably my ignorance of the intricacies of american football, which leads to my lack of appreciation of the hotdog and advert fest which it is, with it's 2 hours of timeouts and advertising space per game, its teams of 75 players and it's constant stop-start, maximum length of actual concurrent play of 8.5 seconds at a time nature.

D
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 22:35
    As for whether Beckham will increase the appeal of soccer for americans... well, he's dripping in hype, and when he does contribute to the game, it's generally after a long delay while he sets up his free kick, so I guess he should be a success.

D
  11. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 22:41
    The total number of Americans [US] playing "soccer" is higher than the total numbers in Brazil, Argentina and England combined.
  12. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 23:28
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    The total number of Americans [US] playing "soccer" is higher than the total numbers in Brazil, Argentina and England combined.
    Stats = Bikinis.

They show all, less than the principal.
  13. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 23:32
    Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
    Where did you come up with that number?
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    29 Jul '07 23:32
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    If we ever meet up, I'll be sure to treat you to a 2 footed studs up tackle into the achilles. I've broken 5 bones playing soccer, and everyone of them hurt. In comparison, I've only broken 1 doing kickboxing (and 1 getting out of bed 😳 ). The leg tackle is illegal in american football and rugby (supposed tougher games) because it's so dangerous.

H ...[text shortened]... rt, maximum length of actual concurrent play of 8.5 seconds at a time nature.

D
    Well said.
  15. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    30 Jul '07 01:131 edit
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Where did you come up with that number?
    I read it on teh interweb somewhere.

18 Million players in the US.😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree