1. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 20:47
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    The only thing that gives me pause in naming Roy Keane the best defensive midfielder in the world is the fact that this under rates his ability. He was quite simply, the best midfielder in the world. Only his own mind (helped by his growing age) and his manager, pigeon holed him as a defensive midfielder. His aerial ability (for a small lad 5' 10"😉 was u ...[text shortened]... Greatest Player Ever, and my prediction: Greatest Manchester United Manager Ever. 🙂

D
    Bit of a Roy Keane fan then?
  2. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 20:51
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    Claude Makalele or Edgar Davids or?
    An extremely under-rated defensive midfielder not named here so far.... David Batty.

I was never bothered about him (maybe 'cos he was at L**ds), didn't really rate him at Blackburn... but when he moved to Newcastle I believe he played some of the best football of his career.

...and one from a while back...Trevor Hockey.
  3. Joined
    29 Jul '04
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 20:54
    Dunga from Brazil was pretty good. The Italians have had some good ones over the years
  4. Joined
    05 Mar '04
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 20:54
    ...if only Tony Adams was not a central defender.
    Apologies Gino....I stand corrected. Thank you.
  5. West London UK
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 23:12
    don't forget that Bobby Moore RIP was a centre back as well 🙄
  6. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 07:01
    Originally posted by Dolphin55
    don't forget that Bobby Moore RIP was a centre back as well 🙄
    Right. Also, I believe that Lothar Matheus was a sweeper too. 😕

He is more a versatile player though. He can play any central position in defense.

However, Tony Adams is not fast and agile enough to play DM positioin.

...and yes, Bobby Moore is a is a central defender too.
  7. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 09:26
    Originally posted by blade68
    An extremely under-rated defensive midfielder not named here so far.... David Batty.

I was never bothered about him (maybe 'cos he was at L**ds), didn't really rate him at Blackburn... but when he moved to Newcastle I believe he played some of the best football of his career.

Batty's problem was that he under rated himself! His defensive qualities were always great but in big matches with great players alongside he was guilty of too many sideways passes.

I agree later in his career he took the ball forward more, but nowhere near as well as Keane, viera, Davids etc.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 09:57
    Right. Also, I believe that Lothar Matheus was a sweeper too. 😕

He is more a versatile player though. He can play any central position in defense.

However, Tony Adams is not fast and agile enough to play DM positioin.

...and yes, Bobby Moore is a is a central defender too.
    Matthaus was only a sweeper at the end of his career (which was a long ending, but still). 😕

By the way, best sweeper ever? May the devil choose between the great Franco Baresi and the magnificent Beckenbauer.
  9. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 20:311 edit
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    Batty's problem was that he under rated himself! His defensive qualities were always great but in big matches with great players alongside he was guilty of too many sideways passes.

I agree later in his career he took the ball forward more, but nowhere near as well as Keane, viera, Davids etc.
    Most DMs are plain, quiet, hard-wokring players. They play modestly, short simple passes, they run a lot. They're the dynamos of the team. They are the secret heroes.[edit] To illustrate my point, after Makalele left R. Madrid for example, the team struggled a lot in team defense for a long time.

They are not as flamboyant as attacking midfielders.

Diego Armando Maradona vs Claude Makalele. The difference is ridicilous.
  10. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 22:11
    Most DMs are plain, quiet, hard-wokring players. They play modestly, short simple passes, they run a lot. They're the dynamos of the team. They are the secret heroes.[edit] To illustrate my point, after Makalele left R. Madrid for example, the team struggled a lot in team defense for a long time.

They are not as flamboyant as attacking midfielders.

Diego Armando Maradona vs Claude Makalele. The difference is ridicilous.
    I agree with all that.

The difference with most traditional english DM's and the real greats is their ability to play clever short balls AND run into space when their team gets the ball. Hargreaves is great defensively but does not always make himself available. Batty used to be in space and would pass to a player who was marked. But Keane would always move the ball forward and commit an opponent before passing; Not enough for it to be a risk of a tackle; but enough for his opponent to gain momentum in the wrong direction.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 20:26
    Originally posted by blade68

as if u can label trevor hockey with midfield greats........LOL🙄
  12. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    10 Mar '07 22:19
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    [b]Not Davids, he would try to win the ball too often, good short passes but long ones?.

Viera and Keene were better than Davids.
    you have got to be joking!!?
    did you ever see Davids in the 90s?

viere and keane are/were never better the edgar
  13. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 10:30
    Originally posted by fizzz24
    as if u can label trevor hockey with midfield greats........LOL🙄
    Read the title of the thread before commenting.
  14. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 10:551 edit
    Wasn't Beckenbauer a defensive midfielder?
    If so, he gets my vote.
  15. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '07 19:59
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Wasn't Beckenbauer a defensive midfielder?
    If so, he gets my vote.
    i always thought he was more of a 'sweeper' central defender for most of the career. i think he used to play in mid-field at the start of his career in the 60s

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree