26 Feb '07 22:05
    Claude Makalele or Edgar Davids or?
  2. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 22:13
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    Claude Makalele or Edgar Davids or?
    Not Davids, he would try to win the ball too often, good short passes but long ones?.

Viera and Keene were better than Davids.

Makalele is awesome, but he is playing with great players.

England always have been weak in that position, Ince was about our best, very underated.
  3. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 22:19
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    Not Davids, he would try to win the ball too often, good short passes but long ones?.

Viera and Keene were better than Davids.

Makalele is awesome, but he is playing with great players.

England always have been weak in that position, Ince was about our best, very underated.
    I like Paul Ince, and of course Viera is very good but he get lots of red cards. I would not want him in my team.
  4. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 22:32
    Originally posted by GinoJ
    I like Paul Ince, and of course Viera is very good but he get lots of red cards. I would not want him in my team.
    Viera got better about the red cards. He was so strong and a better team player than Davids. Those legs would take balls that were never his.

Why did Madrid sell Claude??????
  5. Standard memberderbrad
    Ireland Clan Leader
    Eire
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 22:52
    Roy Keane or maybe Roy Keane
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Feb '07 22:54
    Originally posted by derbrad
    Roy Keane or maybe Roy Keane
    Amen.

D
  7. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 10:23
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Amen.

D
    Roy Keane had such a will to win it was frightening. It was no wonder Man Utd never gave up.

Facing fergie in the dressing room or Keane in the tunnel after you failed to give your all, what would be worse? At least fergie might forgive you at some point in the next decade.

I think that Viera was the more natural athlete, Keane made himself an athlete.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 10:34
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    I think that Viera was the more natural athlete, Keane made himself an athlete.
    The only thing that gives me pause in naming Roy Keane the best defensive midfielder in the world is the fact that this under rates his ability. He was quite simply, the best midfielder in the world. Only his own mind (helped by his growing age) and his manager, pigeon holed him as a defensive midfielder. His aerial ability (for a small lad 5' 10"😉 was unreal (goal against Juve in '99 stands out). His ability to play the killer pass is only surpassed by Paul Scholes and Fabregas. And his shooting ability was great.

I remember when we beat Arsenal 2-0, Keane made up yards to get back at the younger Vieira with a superb tackle, and managed to score 2 goals.

Paul Ince thought himself a great all rounder. His lack of discipline got him the boot from Old Trafford after refusing to obey Ferguson's orders to only play a holding role in the Nou Camp, when we got hammered 4-0. Keane's professionalism never allowed him to go against the team's requirements.

Roy Keane: Greatest Midfielder Ever, Greatest Captain Ever, Greatest Player Ever, and my prediction: Greatest Manchester United Manager Ever. 🙂

D
  9. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 11:31
    The only thing that gives me pause in naming Roy Keane the best defensive midfielder in the world is the fact that this under rates his ability. He was quite simply, the best midfielder in the world. Only his own mind (helped by his growing age) and his manager, pigeon holed him as a defensive midfielder. His aerial ability (for a small lad 5' 10"😉 was u ...[text shortened]... Greatest Player Ever, and my prediction: Greatest Manchester United Manager Ever. 🙂

D
    That was the best lesson Fergie gave Ince. He learnt that great players often want you to try and tackle them. He did learn this lesson in the end.

Keane was better, but still Ince was brilliant. i think England's best defensive midfielder, unless you play Gerrard in defence.

Its like Veron, he went to Utd when they had Giggs, Scholes, Beckham and Keane. Veron is slagged off unfairly because he was compared to the best midfield British football had seen.
  10. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 13:22
    Keane's professionalism never allowed him to go against the team's requirements.
    Crippling Alf-Inge Haarland?

I agree with most of what you said about him as a player. It's as a person I had problems with him.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 15:48
    Sorry Keano-fan-boys, but Lothar Matthaus wins.
  12. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 17:04
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Sorry Keano-fan-boys, but Lothar Matthaus wins.
    This is the trouble with best in the world claims.

Matthaus was awesome when I saw him but I only saw him play a handful of matches.
  13. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 17:44
    There does seem to be a very narrow section of names coming up here. Two players I never saw play, but have huge reputations, are Nobby Stiles and Norman Hunter. A couple of more recent ones who've impressed me in the few games I've seen are Didier Deschamps and Dunga.
  14. Joined
    05 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 19:59
    Bobby Moore was a giant among these mentioned here. Without a doubt, THE BEST. Tony Adams was pretty good too.
  15. Joined
    20 Jan '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 20:26
    Originally posted by Mong
    Bobby Moore was a giant among these mentioned here. Without a doubt, THE BEST. Tony Adams was pretty good too.
    ...if only Tony Adams was not a central defender.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree