Best Defensive Midfielder Ever?

Best Defensive Midfielder Ever?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
11 Mar 07

Originally posted by SALADIN
you have got to be joking!!?
did you ever see Davids in the 90s?

viere and keane are/were never better the edgar
To be honest I never saw that much of Davids.

I am commenting on the few matches I did and to be honest I thought him very overated. Both in Italy and Holland.

In the 90's Italian football was the best but I did watch it that much.

You rate that high? How often did you see him? I know Ferguson was desparate to sign him for Man Utd at one time.

S

Moves
11 Mar 07

Originally posted by petrosianpupil
To be honest I never saw that much of Davids.

I am commenting on the few matches I did and to be honest I thought him very overated. Both in Italy and Holland.

In the 90's Italian football was the best but I did watch it that much.

You rate that high? How often did you see him? I know Ferguson was desparate to sign him for Man Utd at one time.
well i have to say i have always been a great Davids fan. I only watched him onthe TV during the 90s to be honest, but got a spurs season ticket as soon as they signed him last year!

its unfair for people to compare his short time in england as he is now well over 30+ and not really the same player as he was in the 90s.

I agree with you that keane was a excellant player, but I feel he is a bit over-rated by the media. Also he is a bit off a thugh.

there is a big diffirence between being a hard man and a thugh and keane was a boderline case.

p

Moves
11 Mar 07

well i have to say i have always been a great Davids fan. I only watched him onthe TV during the 90s to be honest, but got a spurs season ticket as soon as they signed him last year!

its unfair for people to compare his short time in england as he is now well over 30+ and not really the same player as he was in the 90s.

I agree with you that keane was ...[text shortened]...
there is a big diffirence between being a hard man and a thugh and keane was a boderline case.
He has a dark side. I remember reading that Cloughie went to see his room and he had painted it pitch black!

The trouble with agression like that it can be out of order. He should have been banned for life for some of his tackles.

i remember when the republic of Ireland drew away against Holland in a qualifying match. The Irish team were all celebrating; Keane went crazy at them as he thought they should have wanted to win.

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
11 Mar 07

I agree with you that keane was ...[text shortened]...
I think Keane thought he was a hard man (ala Paul Ince).... but to be perfectly honest, neither would've tried anything on with Graeme Souness or Dave McKay...now they were hard!

S

Moves
11 Mar 07
1 edit

Originally posted by blade68
I think Keane thought he was a hard man (ala Paul Ince).... but to be perfectly honest, neither would've tried anything on with Graeme Souness or Dave McKay...now they were hard!
lol!!! now you are talking... Souness was proper HARD... thats the best example thanks Blade68.

what i was tryijng to say before.. there are dirty players like Vinny Jones and also kenny Burns at Notts Forest in the 70s and there are the REAL hard men.

Ince was never HARD.. only in his MIND!

Also Claudio Gentile of Juv and Italy was a real hard man, along with Romeo Benetti. Kevin keegan once said that '... benetti would start kicking you from the tunnel'

d

Moves
12 Mar 07

lol!!! now you are talking... Souness was proper HARD... thats the best example thanks Blade68.

what i was tryijng to say before.. there are dirty players like Vinny Jones and also kenny Burns at Notts Forest in the 70s and there are the REAL hard men.

Ince was never HARD.. only in his MIND!

Also Claudio Gentile of Juv and Italy was a real hard man, ...[text shortened]... eo Benetti. Kevin keegan once said that '... benetti would start kicking you from the tunnel'
the best has to be the kaiser (franz beckenbauer).

best i have seen - keano, there is only one keano.

G

Moves
12 Mar 07
3 edits

Originally posted by dan182
the best has to be the kaiser (franz beckenbauer HE WAS A SWEEPER MY FRIEND NOT A DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER!!!!).

best i have seen - keano, there is only one keano.
Pele was also a great defensive midfielder.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
12 Mar 07

Who did Keane ever shy away from?

D

b

Bramall Lane

Moves
13 Mar 07

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Who did Keane ever shy away from?

D
The thing is Rag, there's been no-one to shy away from in the modern game... it's all handbags at 10 paces stuff these days.
I'll tell you what though.... Keane wouldn't live in an amateur league, away from the public eye, with referees who don't care about 'protecting' players.
Keane and Ince were designer hard men.... Stuart Pearce was the last of the hard men in my opinion.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
14 Mar 07
1 edit

The thing is Rag, there's been no-one to shy away from in the modern game... it's all handbags at 10 paces stuff these days.
I'll tell you what though.... Keane wouldn't live in an amateur league, away from the public eye, with referees who don't care about 'protecting' players.
Keane and Ince were designer hard men.... Stuart Pearce was the last of the hard men in my opinion.
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you're talking out of your arse.

On what occasion was Keane ever "protected" by a ref? On what occasion did any player (in the Premiership/Internationals/European football) bully him?

You're basing your opinion on your own personal feelings, with absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

So you think that somebody who chose professional soccer over professional boxing, and comes from one of the worst estates in Ireland couldn't handle Sunday League football?

Give me a break.

D

p

Moves
14 Mar 07

On what occasion was Keane ever "protected" by a ref? On what occasion did any player (in the Premiership/Internationals/European football) bully him?

You're basing your opinion on your own personal feelings, with absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

So you think that somebo ...[text shortened]... worst estates in Ireland couldn't handle Sunday League football?

Give me a break.

D
Got to agree with Rag. on this.

To be a professional sportsman you have to be hard. Even pele, Best Ronaldhino.

Keane was hard as nails. Worse than that though he would calculate it. Like shearer, few people went in hard as they knew that 20 minutes later, when the ref was busy.......

Mind you that Gentile post, now he ENJOYED being an animal.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
14 Mar 07
1 edit

So you think that somebo ...[text shortened]... worst estates in Ireland couldn't handle Sunday League football?

Give me a break.

D
I'm not disputing that Keane was hard as nails, but a major change did happen after yellow cards were introduced. The game is much softer now, more technical and also much better for it.

S

Moves
14 Mar 07

While this is off-topic I don't wanna post a seperate thread for it.

One of the things that really annoys me about the modern game is how come a defender can shield the ball away from an opposing forward or whatever - sometimes from 10 yards or more away from the by-line?
Often the defender will be inside the penalty area, run in behind the ball & literally just stand still between the path of the attacking player & the ball, allowing it to cross for a goal kick.
If that were anywhere else on the field it would be classed as obstruction.

I think it leads to highly negative play. If the defender had to clear the ball it would most likely lead to a corner or opposition throw-in well inside the defending team's half.

This defensive shepherding the ball over the line seems to contradict both the spirit & the rules of the game as applied on other areas of the pitch.

Any thoughts?

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
14 Mar 07

Originally posted by Palynka
I'm not disputing that Keane was hard as nails, but a major change did happen after yellow cards were introduced. The game is much softer now, more technical and also much better for it.
Sure, but it's pure conjecture (obviously) on blade's part to say that he wouldn't be able to stand against players like Souness. I'd be interested to find out how that opinion could be formed.

D

TD
Enjoying Life

Tirau NZ

Moves
14 Mar 07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midfielder#Defensive_midfielder

This link defines the role of defensive mid fielder..
Keane Ballack and Vieira are listed as great examples of a box to box midfielders.
The true defensive midf'r is the dominant centre of the field play making general.. they list Dunga as the prime example with Claude Makalele - Chelsea, Real and France as the current tradesman example.
It's not a bad read...