1. LA
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 06:35
    Originally posted by Hopster
    Like many non-big club fans would you like the Champions League to revert back to the European Cup? League winners and last years Champions only.
    I like the CL the way it is.
    You get all the best teams in europe playing each other.

What I didn't like about the old European Cup was that the competition happened the following season.

So for example.
    -Lets say Arsenal win the league.
    -They can't keep their best players, so sell Fabregas and Gallas in the summer
    - The nesxt season they are considerably weaker and don't even win their own league this time
    - However they represent England with a weakened side in the European cup
    - So what you have is NOT the best team in England playing in the European Cup

This use to happen all the time in the old European Cup.
  2. LA
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 06:40
    ROAB. How´s exile. I manage to catch highlights of games and live audio commentary on the net. But Live games on TV in Chile depends on being in the Premier. Understandable I know. The last time Palace were relegated, I was miffed not so much for the relegation, but because I couldn´t catch the five games or so a season when we featured.
    You actually get more live games in America than you do in England.
    On Saturday we get:-
    - The 12.00 kick off live
    - The best 3.00pm game live
    - The 5.00pm game (if there is one) live
    - Then we get a recording of a 3.00pm game at 5.00pm.

We have Fox Soccer Channel that has the Premier League on live from 4.00am to 11.00am, thats 12.0pm to 7.00pm English time.

Setanta Sports also has live games.

And theres always www.channelsurfing.net that has live games on it as well.
    Try this for live games!!!
  3. Santiago
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 06:46
    I tend to have the Premier league game on the TV while listening to Palace on the radio. It is great that Sky show so many games, but because they have the monopoly smaller clubs can´t arrange their own TV packages. I would happily PPV direct with the club or even Sky. Sky won´t do it, because it costs too much money. I am sure individual clubs could do it across the net. For this bargain we get about 5% of the Sky TV money.

It doesn´t matter to many fans as they attend games anyway, being that they are Super rich. It is frustrating for the exile, though.

I did enjoy many of the CL games on ESPN this week. Real Madrid/Roma, Porto/Schalke and Milan/Arsenal were crackers.
  4. Santiago
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 06:48
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    I like the CL the way it is.
    You get all the best teams in europe playing each other.

What I didn't like about the old European Cup was that the competition happened the following season.

So for example.
    -Lets say Arsenal win the league.
    -They can't keep their best players, so sell Fabregas and Gallas in the summer
    - The nesxt season the ...[text shortened]... gland playing in the European Cup

This use to happen all the time in the old European Cup.
    Surely if a team win the league and there is a promise of European Cup football (in a much reduced format) then players will want to stay. That is for the clubs to concern themselves with.
  5. LA
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 06:54
    Surely if a team win the league and there is a promise of European Cup football (in a much reduced format) then players will want to stay. That is for the clubs to concern themselves with.
    Money talks, always has and always will.

When Villa and Forest won the league did they manage to keep their best players?

The problem is its not the same side/squad that plays in the European Cup the following season.
    The winners may lose players through retirement etc....
    The team that finished 2nd may sign 2 or 3 new players that make them the new best side in the country.

So the old European Cup did not necessarily have the best teams from each country playing in it.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 07:09
    More rubbish from Mr Know it All. Another poster who likes to comment on football and never goes.

It is not about money at all. Unfortunately football today is about high ticket prices. Alarmingly ticket prices seem to be more expensive than travel in many cases.

Still if you watch all your games on Sky Box Premium Plus it shouldn´t worry you so much ...[text shortened]... ny real football fans on a chess site. I hope your chess analysis is better than your footballs.
    How many times have I been to Old Trafford? You call me a know-it-all in one breath, in the next, you make assumptions about something which you haven't got a clue.

Then in the next breath, you state that "it is not about money at all" and in the very next one, state "Unfortunately football today is about high ticket prices."

Please, when you get a clue, get back to me.

D
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 07:13
    He is a smug idiot, who likes to play the racist card. Nowhere in my original post did I mention Irish supporters.
    I reckon you should stop posting after so many Cristals.
    "Then we might get some good excuses like:

I live in Ireland. "

🙄

D
  8. Santiago
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 07:19
    High ticket prices yes, travel costs no. I still say that you should be able to do a weekender from Dublin to Manchester with match ticket and accomodation for 150 quid. More obviously if you like beer.

To me that is not a fortune to see a couple of games a season. Therefore my statement about living in Ireland is not an excuse to never take in a game live is a valid one.

What do you think?
  9. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 08:03
    High ticket prices yes, travel costs no. I still say that you should be able to do a weekender from Dublin to Manchester with match ticket and accomodation for 150 quid. More obviously if you like beer.

To me that is not a fortune to see a couple of games a season. Therefore my statement about living in Ireland is not an excuse to never take in a game live is a valid one.

What do you think?
    Do you realise that there is more to Ireland than just Dublin? Given your previous posts which show a complete lack of geography skills (20 mile radius around Old Trafford = All of England's North West), then I now accept your arrogant stance as one ironically bourne of ignorance.

Previously, you stated that you're not a true fan unless you take in 6 live games a year. Now you talk about never going? It's very hard to debate somebody who is about as consistent as a bad dose of diarrhea.

Anyway, lets look at the sums... even given the fact that your estimate is waaay under the true mark (You'd be definitely talking double that), but we won't let the fact that you haven't a clue what you're talking about get in the way. 6 matches at 150 = £900 per annum. Obviously, being Irish, we don't drink alcohol while away and we pack our own ham sandwiches to eat and we thumb our away around Manchester. That's nearly €1200 per annum. Assuming that your definition of a true fan likes watching more than 6 games per season, then you have to add €540 for Sky sports and Setanta.

Now tell me, who do you think you are to bring financial elitism into supporting football clubs? Are you telling me that your ridiculously low guess at the price of a match day trip is affordable by all? You probably don't know this, but the €1740 above is more than 10% of the Irish minimum wage. The approaching accurate price of €400 per game is nearly 20%.

D
  10. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 08:04
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    How many times have I been to Old Trafford?
    Still waiting for an answer.

D
  11. Santiago
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 13:14
    Well modelled excuse. Took some time to try and justify why you don´t go. I didn´t say you had to go six times a season to be a real fan, I said that surely Irelands proximity meant it was possible to go six times a year. To use the distance as an excuse to never have gone is pitiful.

Also to continuously insult me doesn´t cover up your flimsy excuses either. Everyone can see you are a gloryboy.

Ireland is a particularly small country and you will have us believe that you and the rest of Mancs green contingent live on the remote Pacific coast. I don´t believe it for a second.
  12. Santiago
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 13:24
    My hearts bleeds about the Irish economic situation. I didn´t realise that you were all on the mininum wage. No wonder it is the biggest software producer in the world if nobosy get paid very much. I would cancel the membership of this site if you can´t afford it. Or we could all sub in for you, as we would miss your intelligence on these forums.

You don´t need to go nine times. Go once. I take your figures on board as I understand things are getting expensive. 300 quid, one game. You love the club and idolise the players right. Special treat, you will love it.

You make out that Ireland is across the Atlantic and everyone is poverty stricken, talk about a cliched view.

I didn´t go to 500 mor so games because I have stacks of cash. Whether I could go to Sunderland or the great land mass that is the North West depended on my finances on a monthly basis.

There are clubs that will take you to Old Trafford from Ireland on a special deal, but I bet you have never investigated.
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 16:42
    I live in Chile now. Helluva engineering fleet to get the train to games. Dublin to Manchester is a piece of cake and there must be lots of people doing special trips for United fans. Booked well in advance I reckon Ryan Air to Manchester or Liverpool is cheaper than a train from London.

Supported means vocal support, getting behind your team when they ...[text shortened]... olves vs Palace. The first was a pre season friendly. The flights weren´t 50 quid return either.
    Fair point. Still though don't think people should have a pop at people in Ireland who support United
  14. Joined
    02 Feb '08
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 16:43
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Do you realise that there is more to Ireland than just Dublin? Given your previous posts which show a complete lack of geography skills (20 mile radius around Old Trafford = All of England's North West), then I now accept your arrogant stance as one ironically bourne of ignorance.

Previously, you stated that you're not a true fan unless you take in 6 ...[text shortened]... minimum wage. The approaching accurate price of €400 per game is nearly 20%.

D
    Amen
  15. 6yd box
    Moves
    07 Mar '08 18:45
    Spurs have it had in the return leg against PSV. How do you rate your chances?
    its gona be a tight one....Spurs played very poor, we seem still to be on league cup winning mode!

I think we could nick it 2-1 at their place and go through on away goals.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree