1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 23:36
    Originally posted by sh76
    1) Why are you still hating on Manning? It wasn't his decision to come out of that game a few weeks ago?

2) I can't believe anyone in his right mind would sincerely believe that Tom Brady is fit to hold Dan Marino's jock strap, let alone be ahead of him. Brady had one great year and a lot of good ones and a great defense that propelled him to 3 titles. Marino was the most accurate passer with the best release in the last 30 years.
    Who hates Manning? I hate Caldwell, not Manning. To Mannings credit he wanted to go right back in and signified that by nevr removing his helmet. My list is devoid of personal feelings and is mostly based on hardware. No other QB will ever reach Bart Starr's CG stats. He won 5 NFL chamionships and two superbowls! There's the steel of a winner. As for Brady, the hardware, dude, the hardware. Brady is likely to get that 4th ring. Marino did not even come close to one! Brady can hold Marino's jock strap to polish his hardware with!
  2. Standard memberScotty70
    Maddog1213
    Central Office
    Moves
    29 Jan '10 23:54
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Who hates Manning? I hate Caldwell, not Manning. To Mannings credit he wanted to go right back in and signified that by nevr removing his helmet. My list is devoid of personal feelings and is mostly based on hardware. No other QB will ever reach Bart Starr's CG stats. He won 5 NFL chamionships and two superbowls! There's the steel of a winner. As for Br ...[text shortened]... d not even come close to one! Brady can hold Marino's jock strap to polish his hardware with!
    To Manning's credit, he is a true competitor and probably the smartest QB ever to play the game. I would have to see a few more rings to call him the best, but he definitely is the smartest.
    The only way to really beat him is to have two defensive schemes...one in the first half and a totally different one in the second.
    As a Jet fan, I think Peyton beat us in the locker room between halves when he had time to think about what we were trying to do.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 00:38
    Originally posted by Scotty70
    To Manning's credit, he is a true competitor and probably the smartest QB ever to play the game. I would have to see a few more rings to call him the best, but he definitely is the smartest.
    The only way to really beat him is to have two defensive schemes...one in the first half and a totally different one in the second.
    As a Jet fan, I think Peyton b ...[text shortened]... us in the locker room between halves when he had time to think about what we were trying to do.
    Payton Manning is indeed probably very smart, but not necessarily the smartest. Not smarter than Montana. Never figured out Pat's D until personnel had changes dramatically and always seems to have trouble with the Steelers. Jets lost by going soft. They never pushed pedal to the metal once up by 11. They had them and let them slip away! U live in NYC? One of my favorite places on earth!
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 01:05
    As a Jet fan, I think Peyton b ...[text shortened]... us in the locker room between halves when he had time to think about what we were trying to do.
    Joe Montana did it in college and in the pro ranks, and he was a hugely consistent winner. Montana was very smart. He ran the most difficult offensive scheme when it was first devised by Bill Walsh, and he ran it to perfection. I would have to say he is the best that has ever played.

Dan Marino was the most prolific passer in the game. He was tremedously accurate and he did it while the other teams knew what he was going to do. He was better at picking defenses apart than Manning is, if for no other reason than he did it down field. A tremendous amount of Peyton's success comes form dump passes and screens where his players make the yardage for him. Marino would split the seam and coverages repeatedly, and was very accurate doing so. His only real negative is the lack of a ring.

John Elway is the greatest in history at running the two minute offense. He was a winner and he carried the Broncos most of his career. He had a tremendous will to win, the greatest arm ever in the game (including Marino), and he was a tremendous athlete.

Johnny Unitas was a true general on the field. He was not only a tough runner, but a very good passer as well. He was the best of his era.

Terry Bradshaw was dumb as a stump, but had a terrific cast assembled around him by one of the greatest coaches ever. He did learn to execute and was able to put it together. he did have a "don't give up" attitude.

Peyton Manning is a great QB no doubt, he takes what the defense gives him, but his specialty is getting rid of the ball quickly and getting short range pass completions and letting the athletes on the team build his numbers for him.

Roger Staubach was a great running QB who became a complete QB under Tom Landry's scheme. He was smart and he distributed the ball well. His greatest asset was his leadership and his iron will to succeed.

Brett Farve has been a gunslinger all his life. He lives and dies by the pass. His ability actually gets him into trouble because he believes he can make every throw, which often times has lead to silly picks. But, he is a gamer and he has longevity.

Otto Graham, Bobby Layne, Y.A. Tittle were stand outs in their era and deserve mention in the discussion as well.
  5. Standard memberScotty70
    Maddog1213
    Central Office
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 08:24
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Joe Montana did it in college and in the pro ranks, and he was a hugely consistent winner. Montana was very smart. He ran the most difficult offensive scheme when it was first devised by Bill Walsh, and he ran it to perfection. I would have to say he is the best that has ever played.

Dan Marino was the most prolific passer in the game. He was tremedo ...[text shortened]... ne, Y.A. Tittle were stand outs in their era and deserve mention in the discussion as well.
    "John Elway is the greatest in history at running the two minute offense. He was a winner and he carried the Broncos most of his career. He had a tremendous will to win, the greatest arm ever in the game (including Marino), and he was a tremendous athlete."

I pretty much agree with everything except this statement.I don't think Elway carried the Broncos, it was the Broncos running game that supported Elway. He definitely wouldn't have gotten those rings without it.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    30 Jan '10 13:21
    "John Elway is the greatest in history at running the two minute offense. He was a winner and he carried the Broncos most of his career. He had a tremendous will to win, the greatest arm ever in the game (including Marino), and he was a tremendous athlete."

I pretty much agree with everything except this statement.I don't think Elway carried the Broncos, ...[text shortened]... unning game that supported Elway. He definitely wouldn't have gotten those rings without it.
    Totally disagree with you on this for this reason. Once Elway retired and Bubby Brister assumed the QB position, even with the same RB and team Broncos went nowhere. No more SB championships and trouble advancing in the playoffs. They plug in Jake Plummer, a better QB than Brister and still went nowhere. Elway was the team, plain and simple. Also notice that their great running attack also fizzled.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree