College football 2009

College football 2009

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
a playoff where participation is based on an objective factor (i.e. you won your conference) is far fairer than one based on a subjective one (i.e. sportswriters and coaches think you're the best).
I agree with this part.

My contention is that you are biased toward the big 6 conferences and think they should get
"automatic" bids into the playoffs, and that there should only be a couple of other "at large" bids
to account for, I assume, the likes of TCU and Boise State this year.

It would be much fairer to say all 11 conference champions will play in the final tournament. Big
10, PAC 10, Conference USA, Sun Belt, etc...
And maybe have 5 at-large bids (like NCAA tourney) to make it a 16 team playoff and account
for very strong and deserving conference #2's who may well be a top 3 team but had the bad
luck of being in the conference of a top 2 team.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
08 Jan 10

I already did: the 6 BCS conference champs + 2 mid-major/independents would play utilizing the 4 big bowls as quarterfinals, adding two semi-final games and then playing the National Championship game two weeks later. No muss, no fuss.
I already did: the 6 BCS conference champs + 2 mid-major/independents would play utilizing the 4 big bowls as quarterfinals, adding two semi-final games and then playing the National Championship game two weeks later. No muss, no fuss.

That's the quote and the bias I am referring to.

Saying the 6 BCS conferences are automatically in is biased and subjective. After your 2
mid-major champions are picked (how, by the way?), in your expert opinion, who should get left
out: the WAC champion, the Conf USA champion, the Sun Belt champion, the Mountain West
champion, or the Mid-American champion?

b

lazy boy derivative

Moves
08 Jan 10

You know that the Majors would get auto bids. Just as you know that the BCS bowls will be represented.

Myself I would want the 1st round to always be Big 10 v Pac 10 In the Rose...Big 12 v ACC in the Orange,,,SEC v Big East in the Sugar...Two at large in the Fiesta

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by badmoon
You know that the Majors would get auto bids. Just as you know that the BCS bowls will be represented.

Myself I would want the 1st round to always be Big 10 v Pac 10 In the Rose...Big 12 v ACC in the Orange,,,SEC v Big East in the Sugar...Two at large in the Fiesta
Yes, I do know they would. That's just the nature of what we're dealing with. That
doesn't hide the fact that the system is biased toward them. I realize that most of my
desire for a "fair" playoff system is just a dream. I don't imagine it would actually
happen. I don't think what we have is so broken that it needs to be dramatically
fixed, either. I enjoy college football so much. I always have. I love the bowl games.
And I'm happy that at the very least, we are finally seeing the top 2 teams play each other.

BUT, if I was the god of college football, I would create a playoff system that wasn't
biased toward the BCS conferences and allowed more teams than the same ol' same ol'
to have a legitimate shot each year. That's all.

Horns vs. Tide starting now. Here's hoping it's a classic. 🙂

s

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by Traveling Again
Yes, I do know they would. That's just the nature of what we're dealing with. That
doesn't hide the fact that the system is biased toward them. I realize that most of my
desire for a "fair" playoff system is just a dream. I don't imagine it would actually
happen. I don't think what we have is so broken that it needs to be dramatically
fix ...[text shortened]... . That's all.

Horns vs. Tide starting now. Here's hoping it's a classic. 🙂
No classic! Decided on a freak play which should have been called spearing and caused an ejection. INstead this crew of bozos from the big east sees ticky tacky procedure plays, imaginary chop blocks, but miss a flagrant spearing! Game over! Bama win with an asterisk!

w

Moves
08 Jan 10

Just out of curiosity, how many in a row has it been for the SEC in terms of NC wins? How many more can we expect?

g

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by whodey
Just out of curiosity, how many in a row has it been for the SEC in terms of NC wins? How many more can we expect?
2006 Florida, 2007 LSU, 2008 Florida, and 2009 Alabama.

TA
I'm 1/4 Ninja

Moves
08 Jan 10

Man, that's too bad -- hated to see Colt McCoy go down so early in the first quarter
with the freak injury. No one wanted to watch a true freshman QB play in the
championship (I guess if you're a 'Bama fan it was fine). Texas receivers dropped so
many balls!

Without McCoy, all 'Bama had to do was take a ride on the back of Ingram. What a
beast. He's fun to watch run - in that frustrating kind of way where he always seems
like he could have been tackled about 7 yards before he actually goes down -- "What,
another 12-yard gain?"

So, Boise State (14-0) vs. Alabama (14-0) next week? 😉
If it's a game of fake punts, I bet BSU wins.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by Traveling Again
Man, that's too bad -- hated to see Colt McCoy go down so early in the first quarter
with the freak injury. No one wanted to watch a true freshman QB play in the
championship (I guess if you're a 'Bama fan it was fine). Texas receivers dropped so
many balls!

Without McCoy, all 'Bama had to do was take a ride on the back of Ingram. What a ...[text shortened]... 14-0) vs. Alabama (14-0) next week? 😉
If it's a game of fake punts, I bet BSU wins.
What was amazing to me is McCoy plays 5 plays and is gone. Texas is obviously deflated. For some dumb reason the play call at the end of the second quarter should cost Greg Davis his job, but instead gift-wrapped a TD for Alabama. Then the second half Texas outplays the hell out of Alabama. Alabama was stifled and then the true freshman gets it together and puts fear into Bama when they cut the lead to 3 with 5:30 to go. Bama nutted up when the freshman tossed two interceptions deep in our end. It is a shame Colt couldn't play. I believe the outcome would have been totally different.

s

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by shortcircuit
What was amazing to me is McCoy plays 5 plays and is gone. Texas is obviously deflated. For some dumb reason the play call at the end of the second quarter should cost Greg Davis his job, but instead gift-wrapped a TD for Alabama. Then the second half Texas outplays the hell out of Alabama. Alabama was stifled and then the true freshman gets it together ...[text shortened]... end. It is a shame Colt couldn't play. I believe the outcome would have been totally different.
Texas certainly has nothing to hang their heads about. They played lights out against incredible adversity and demonstrated their great character. Other lesser teams would have folded. Final poll should definitely show Texas as #2 and a great big asterisk on Bama's#1! That officiating crew needs to be suspended. The two pass intereference calls they missed and the one that was not against Texas in addition to the three plays where they failed to call Bama players leading with their helmets, including the devastating hit against mcCoy was criminal!

q

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by badmoon

How about if you have a playoff it is not only in California or southern States. lets have the Pac 10 play the Big 10 half of the time in a huge big 10 stadium like the Big house or the horse shoe. There certainly would be support (michigan has had over 100,000 people at every single game since 1975) or does fairness dictate that the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 10 only play games in their region of the country.

M

Moves
08 Jan 10
1 edit

Originally posted by quackquack
How about if you have a playoff it is not only in California or southern States. lets have the Pac 10 play the Big 10 half of the time in a huge big 10 stadium like the Big house or the horse shoe. There certainly would be support (michigan has had over 100,000 people at every single game since 1975) or does fairness dictate that the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 10 only play games in their region of the country.
I've always hated the idea that almost all the bowl games (as well as the Super Bowl) get played in balmy climates or indoors.

Football is a cold weather sport. Part of the fun is having to deal with all of the challenges that winter offers. No games after December 1 should ever be played in a place where palm trees can grow.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
08 Jan 10

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Texas certainly has nothing to hang their heads about. They played lights out against incredible adversity and demonstrated their great character. Other lesser teams would have folded. Final poll should definitely show Texas as #2 and a great big asterisk on Bama's#1! That officiating crew needs to be suspended. The two pass intereference calls they mis ...[text shortened]... a players leading with their helmets, including the devastating hit against mcCoy was criminal!
A big expected excuse ridden:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

The game was never really in doubt; Texas' so-called defense couldn't stop the Alabama running game. McCoy getting hurt was the best thing that happened for Big 12 fans; you get to whine about the officiating (which was a given no matter what penalties they called) AND have a ready made excuse. But since Texas couldn't play defense and McCoy's performances against decent defenses this year has been poor, his injury made little difference.

Well, you keep trotting out the other BCS' conference best and getting whipped by the SEC champion; maybe it's about time you let Boise have a shot. Of course, the sportswriters and coaches don't agree; despite Texas' 16 point drubbing they still wound up ranking them #2 in the final polls with Florida (which got whipped even worse by Alabama) at #3. Ridiculous.

E

Moves
08 Jan 10

A perfect bowl season for me! The regular season sucked, but the bowl season was rather nice. Too bad I forgot to watch the game last night.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
08 Jan 10

A big expected excuse ridden:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(

The game was never really in doubt; Texas' so-called defense couldn't stop the Alabama running game. McCoy getting hurt was the best thing that happened for Big 12 fans; you get to whine about the officiating (which was a given no matter what penalties they called) AND have a ready made excuse. But ...[text shortened]... nal polls with Florida (which got whipped even worse by Alabama) at #3. Ridiculous.
Guess you should have watched the game. I'll break it down for you mullet.

After Colt McCoy was knocked out of the game after 5 plays, Texas managed to maintain a 6-0 through the first Quarter. In the second quarter when Alabama's defense had nothing to do but pin their ears back and blitz a true freshman QB with less that 2 full quarters of game time in mop up duty, the Alabama offense got on track. Were it not for two big breakout runs, the defense played exceptional. If they don't hand Alamaba a TD with 10 seconds to go in the first half, it is still a game.

Now in the thrid quarter, Alabama rested NO ONE. Texas rallied and actually held Alabama to a net 1 yard rushing from the start of the third quarter until 6 minutes to go in the game. They were still playing ALL of their horses. Texas had lost their starting center by that time as well. When Texas closed the gap to three points with 6 minutes to go and Alabama had to punt to Texas, every sphincter in crimson was puckered tight as a pinhole. Alabama was fortunate to get a punt downed at the 7 yard line. Then a blindside blitz caused Garrett Gilbert to fumble. Alabama mightily managed to get it into the endzone 3 plays later from the cripple.
Then Texas had no choice with time running out, but to try and go long into the teeth of a stack prevent defense and he gets picked off. Alabama then showed its lack of class by failing to take a knee and run the clock out, but instead electing to run up the score. This was even noted and commented on by several announcers.

It is just too bad Colt didn't get to play, it might have been quite a different story. That Texas defense played very well after having the wind sucked out of them by the loss of McCoy. Such is life though, bad breaks happen. Apparently, the voters in the poles who watched the game saw it the same way when they voted Texas #2 in the final polls, AHEAD of Florida and Boise State. The reason? Texas was a better team, because they nearly pulled off the all time greatest come back with a crippled squad.

When you say the game was never in doubt, you really showed your ignorance, but then, it is commonplace for you.