1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 10:49
    Ok kids, its almost time!! I know its July but I just can't wait any longer!!! So what can we say about college football for the year 2009 other than USC is the most miserable and pathetic team in college football history and will be lucky to win so much as a game this year? Which teams will do well and which not so much?
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 11:501 edit
    The usual suspects: Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma State (play eight home games), Ole Miss.

Dark horses: Notre Dame, Michigan, Miami, Nebraska.

On the way down: USC, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Boston College, Florida State, Penn State
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 15:252 edits
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    The usual suspects: Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma State (play eight home games), Ole Miss.

On the way down: USC, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Boston College, Florida State, Penn State
    What no Utah? You do realize they were national champions last year don't you?

As for USC being "on their way out", why do you suggest such a thing? Every year they are either playing in the Rose Bowl or a NC....in their back yard no less.

My Buckeys will play USC the on 9/12 at the Shoe. Although I hate to admit it, I don't think we have much of a chance. I just hope Pete Carol does not run up and down the side lines this go round yelling, "They can't stop us, they can't stop us!!" Don't get me wrong, the Bucks are a very good team, however, they are not one of the elite coastal teams like USC/Florida. I would even say they are a top 10 team this year. BTW, I would pay good money to watch USC and Florida duke it out but USC always plays some lame team from the Big Ten. Hopefully, the Bucks will not be one of them. Although they may not have much of a chance to beat USC, hopefully they at least make it more respectable. In fact, I predict the Bucks will actually score a touch down this year against them instead of only a lone field goal last year. USC is simply the Yankees of college football and if the Buck by some miracle beat them, they will play in the NC this year. If not, I hope for at least a BCS birth so long as they keep things respectable against USC this year.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 15:39
    I am routing for anything that gets us closer to having a playoff system. Boise St has been challenging the BCS order for several years - and last year, Utah got into the mix. Now we need another 2-3 of these teams to join in.

OR -- we need to have several teams all go undefeated, making the current process of choosing the top two teams even more controversial than it already is.

I find the current approach boring -- there's only a small number of teams that have a chance to make it to the championship game, so all the other games become meaningless except for alumni hoping their team can get into a bowl. There's a certain honor in being able to make it to one of the "BCS bowls" - but even here, does anyone really remember any of those games?

But if you had a playoff system, you'd go into the final month of the season with 20 or more teams still having a shot to make it into the top 10. Each week would have a dozen or so really important games. It would be like the end of the college basketball season where all these teams are pushing each other on and off "the bubble" -- and George Mason showed that even a bubble team can make it to the Final Four.
  5. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 17:272 edits
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I am routing for anything that gets us closer to having a playoff system. Boise St has been challenging the BCS order for several years - and last year, Utah got into the mix. Now we need another 2-3 of these teams to join in.

OR -- we need to have several teams all go undefeated, making the current process of choosing the top two teams even more con bubble" -- and George Mason showed that even a bubble team can make it to the Final Four.
    I don't understand why there's so much resistance to the playoff system. Who would really argue with something like this:

1) Take the top 4 performing conferences from each year and the following year, each winner of those 4 gets a berth in one of the BCS bowls. You could even make it based on geography (the Pac 10 winner to the Rose, the SEC winner to the Sugar, etc.).

2) At the end of the season, seed the 4 conference winners based on BCS ranking, as it is calculated now

3) Take the 4 top BCS ranked teams who didn't win one of those conferences and seed them 1 through 4.

4) Have the 1 seeded conference winner play the 4 seeded at large team, etc. All 4 games could be held on Jan 1/ Jan 2.

5) Re-seed the 4 winners and have them play in 2 of the BCS venues on Jan. 8 (or on the closest Saturday- your choice).

6) The 2 winners play the championship game a week later at a third BCS venue.

The venues for the semis and finals would rotate among the 4 BCS bowls.

Who really loses based on this system? You settle it on the field and prevent disgraces like Utah not getting a chance to win in spite of a perfect season. You also preserve the importance of being a great conference.

Will there be arguments about the last teams to make the cut in the top 8? Sure. But, that's a heck of a lot better than having arguments as to who got snubbed a shot at the title game.
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    29 Jul '09 19:18
    Originally posted by whodey
    Ok kids, its almost time!! I know its July but I just can't wait any longer!!! So what can we say about college football for the year 2009 other than USC is the most miserable and pathetic team in college football history and will be lucky to win so much as a game this year? Which teams will do well and which not so much?
    even those I am not a college fan, I go for Fresno State.
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    30 Jul '09 01:39
    I have to look at Florida with their great returning QB.

But I mostly hope that my Golden Gophers can finish 6th in the Big Ten so I can watch them in person near my back yard at the Fiesta Bowl.
  8. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    31 Jul '09 22:58
    The Oregon Ducks play Boise St., Utah, and USC this year. Look to them to be a dark horse.

LSU, not so good this year, same as last year.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '09 04:411 edit
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I have to look at Florida with their great returning QB.

But I mostly hope that my Golden Gophers can finish 6th in the Big Ten so I can watch them in person near my back yard at the Fiesta Bowl.
    Indeed. Isn't Tebow in his 6th year now? I think he takes something like one class a semester. 😛

Now if he were a Buckeye, he would be petitioning to go to the NFL his freshman year.
  10. Standard memberMrVarnell
    The Unteachable
    Over yonder
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 23:03

As a hog fan, I have to say your crazy to even consider Oklahoma and Texas (sucks), because of the SEC dominance of NCAA football. Ole Miss however, doesn't stand a chance either in my book, becasue I know how Houston Nutt likes to choke. He will give you one good season, one big win/ season to keep his job, and then finally you catch on - He won't take you there. When the dust settles- it Tebow and Florida all over agian. Go for the 5-peat Tebow!
  11. Standard memberMrVarnell
    The Unteachable
    Over yonder
    Moves
    04 Aug '09 23:05

Notre Dame and Miami! Do you know what decade your in?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Aug '09 02:383 edits
    Originally posted by MrVarnell
    As a hog fan, I have to say your crazy to even consider Oklahoma and Texas (sucks), because of the SEC dominance of NCAA football. Ole Miss however, doesn't stand a chance either in my book, becasue I know how Houston Nutt likes to choke. He will give you one good season, one big win/ season to keep his job, and then finally you catch on - He won't take you there. When the dust settles- it Tebow and Florida all over agian. Go for the 5-peat Tebow!
    Florida over USC eh? Of course, the two shall NEVER meet so we will never know.....or at leats USC always winds up in the back yard playing the Big Ten and destroying whoever it is. They are usually kept out of the NC game for some stupid loss to a team like Stanford. LOL. Then they all scream that they are really the champions of college football or, at least, should have made it to the big game but were snubbed. In all honesty, I think they are a little scared of the SEC, or at least, the dominate teams therin.
  13. Joined
    15 Jul '09
    Moves
    07 Aug '09 03:45
    Florida over USC eh? Of course, the two shall NEVER meet so we will never know.....or at leats USC always winds up in the back yard playing the Big Ten and destroying whoever it is. They are usually kept out of the NC game for some stupid loss to a team like Stanford. LOL. Then they all scream that they are really the champions of college football or, at ...[text shortened]... ll honesty, I think they are a little scared of the SEC, or at least, the dominate teams therin.
    I think USC would be more afraid of Vanderbilt or Kentucky than of Florida or LSU
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 01:54
    Originally posted by voltaire
    I think USC would be more afraid of Vanderbilt or Kentucky than of Florida or LSU
    Vandy? I might be able to wrap my mind around Kentucky, but Vandy?

I just wonder if they would completly fall apart against a team like Florida? I guess we will never know because the two NEVER meet.
  15. Joined
    15 Jul '09
    Moves
    08 Aug '09 03:00
    Vandy? I might be able to wrap my mind around Kentucky, but Vandy?

I just wonder if they would completly fall apart against a team like Florida? I guess we will never know because the two NEVER meet.
    That's what I thought when I heard they lost to Stanford. I doubt they would fall apart against UF, they tend to show up for the big games. I think one of the Leinart/Bush teams against the Tebow/Harvin gators would have been great to see if they played at the same time.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree