1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 12:271 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Houston played, quite successfully in the Southwest Conference. It wasn't until they got squeezed out by the mega conferences that they had to settle for a smaller conference. When they lost the money that they generated for the Southwest conference, their program deteriorated noticeably. They are on the rise again, thanks in part to some great work by . Of course, OSU has benefitted from two major benefactors, T. Boone Pickens and Garth Brooks.
    A team that plays football in Conference USA is a mid-major. Period.
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 14:181 edit
    According to wikipedia a Mid-major is a term mainly used in American college basketball and college football, to describe schools not affiliated with a conference whose football teams possess automatic bids to the Bowl Championship Series (BCS). Houston is a midmajor.

I would not spend too much time glorifying the Southwest conference. It is the most corrupt conference ever created. All but 3 schools went on probation in the 1980s and SMU is the only school ever to receive the death penalty for cheating.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Sep '09 22:51
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Shhhhh, don't tell Michigan they suck after beating the heralded Notre Dame.
    I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the season goes before we can determine whether Michigan or ND "suck". USC's struggle with Ohio State makes them appear vulnerable and Claussen and the receivers looked pretty good. Michigan's freshmen QB was impressive. Of course, one can just say that a team "sucks" even when it wins their games, but so far there isn't a lot of evidence to support that contention. Perhaps Michigan and Notre Dame have good offensive squads, perhaps they both have poor defensive ones, perhaps it's a little of both. The rest of the season will tell.

All I can say is it was a great game even though my team lost.
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 00:19
    Originally posted by quackquack
    According to wikipedia a Mid-major is a term mainly used in American college basketball and college football, to describe schools not affiliated with a conference whose football teams possess automatic bids to the Bowl Championship Series (BCS). Houston is a midmajor.

I would not spend too much time glorifying the Southwest conference. It is the most ...[text shortened]... robation in the 1980s and SMU is the only school ever to receive the death penalty for cheating.
    You have more opinions than Carter's has pills. I would love to here your detailed explaination, with evidence not conjecture, of how you maintain the SWC was the most corrupt of all time. You really should do a stand up routine with all of these comical statements you make.
    But, bring it on. I played in the SWC so I am quite interested to hear what you "know".
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 00:25
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I guess we'll have to see how the rest of the season goes before we can determine whether Michigan or ND "suck". USC's struggle with Ohio State makes them appear vulnerable and Claussen and the receivers looked pretty good. Michigan's freshmen QB was impressive. Of course, one can just say that a team "sucks" even when it wins their games, but so far the ...[text shortened]... n will tell.

All I can say is it was a great game even though my team lost.
    One week into the season I would never say any team sucked if they were decent enough to be rated in the top 25 or to beat a top 25 team. The placements are generally biased and arbitrary this early anyway, so I personally don't place too much stock in them since you can lose a game in the first 3 or 4 weeks and still end up national champions, you just can't afford to lose one at the end of the season.The Michigan - ND game was a good game, as was the USC - OSU game. OSU looked poor against Navy and much better against USC. USC does look very vulnerable. We will have to see how the frosh QB matures this season.

I think Charlie Weiss is going to have to pull out all stops and win huge this year or he will be gone. The alums are getting restless. I am just wondering if Joe Montana would entertain thoughts of coaching. Not sure if he has the desire, he certainly has the smarts.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 18:29
    I honestly did not even think it was debatable that the Southwest conference will be best remember for its infractions. When every team but three goes on probation in the 1980s I think we can safely say they are thoughly corrupt. There just is no conference that has that level of cheating and no one would shead a tear from its demise.
  7. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    17 Sep '09 18:32
    I thought it was a great game. Even though my team won, they are no way near Penn State or Ohio State this year and will not compete for a big ten title in 2009. Notre Dame has a great offense and it was a road game for them. I expect they will be ranked again this season
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 18:44
    I honestly did not even think it was debatable that the Southwest conference will be best remember for its infractions. When every team but three goes on probation in the 1980s I think we can safely say they are thoughly corrupt. There just is no conference that has that level of cheating and no one would shead a tear from its demise.
    Probation? No other conferences had schools go on probation?? Dig up the history and let's hear all of the allegations. The SEC had them...the Big 10 had them too. Or is you astute opinion based on the timing of the investigations? You crack me up. SMU was a private school with wealthy backers who wanted the limelight. When they got Craig James, Eric Dickerson and Lott & Lance McIllhaney in one fell swoop, it was fairly obvious. The death penalty was laid on them as an example. You take a look at many programs for football and basketball and look at the infractions going on. It is big business now, and you think it is clean? LOL, they just cover it up better.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '09 19:36
    I never said that the Southwest conference was the only conference that bent rules but it is staggering to have a whole conference except three teams on probation in one decade and to be the only school ever to receive the death penalty.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 02:39
    I may be alone here but I am concerned about Ohio State verses Toledo tomorrow. After all, I hear Toledo has scored a total of over 80 points the last two games and one of those opponents was a ranked Colorado. In addition, they beat Michigan last year, and the game is an away game. EEkks!!
  11. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 18:19
    Originally posted by whodey
    I may be alone here but I am concerned about Ohio State verses Toledo tomorrow. After all, I hear Toledo has scored a total of over 80 points the last two games and one of those opponents was a ranked Colorado. In addition, they beat Michigan last year, and the game is an away game. EEkks!!
    You shouldn't have worried; the Buckeyes are hammering Toledo, 31-0 in the 3rd.

Minnesota is giving #8 Cal all they can handle.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 19:39
    I never said that the Southwest conference was the only conference that bent rules but it is staggering to have a whole conference except three teams on probation in one decade and to be the only school ever to receive the death penalty.
    The reason the death penalty died was those at the helm realized that college sports as a whole would be dead if they imposed the death penalty on ever school that technically deserved it. Instead, they made an example, looked away for a bit, and the schools learned how to mask their activities better so anyone couldn't tell they were dirty. They are all still dirty...including your school, whichever that may be. There are infractions made everyday. This is all about money. It is survival for many schools. It is a travesty that the players aren't paid at least a stipend for the play, since they aren't allowed to have a job while they play. If they allowed that, some more of the illegalities would be minimized.
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 23:03
    It looks like USC isn't quite as good as people believe they are. It kind of explains why they had so much trouble with tOSU.
  14. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 23:171 edit
    There is one thing we agree on: the death penalty was not given to anyone else (in football) because college sports believes it was bad business. Still it was used because SMU was a renegade program.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Sep '09 23:57
    Originally posted by Eladar
    It looks like USC isn't quite as good as people believe they are. It kind of explains why they had so much trouble with tOSU.
    Even though it may make my Buckeyes look bad, I must admitt it brings me great pleasure to watch them go down in flames!! We will just call it therapy for what I witnessed Saturday night. 😀

USC LOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!!!!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree