1. Joined
    16 Aug '07
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 04:50
    So, what do the football fans in the UK think of the English team picked to to play France next Wednesday?
  2. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    21 Mar '08 09:51
    Good to see Young and Agbonlahor given a chance.
    Can't see the reasoning behind Kirkland's inclusion.
    Beckham's still got the quality to play at the top level.
  3. Joined
    16 Aug '07
    Moves
    23 Mar '08 21:31
    Surprised to see such a lack of interest from the English here. Almost like voting in an election πŸ™‚
  4. 6yd box
    Moves
    23 Mar '08 21:32
    Originally posted by stringbean
    Surprised to see such a lack of interest from the English here. Almost like voting in an election πŸ™‚
    ....NOT ANOTHER BL%%DY FRIENDLYπŸ˜ πŸ˜ πŸ˜ πŸ˜ πŸ˜ πŸ˜‰
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 18:25
    Ferdinand as captain. πŸ˜•
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 18:56
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Ferdinand as captain. πŸ˜•
    "I want to see various players and see how they captain the side and I will rotate them during these warm-up games," added Capello.

"I will use at least two more."

Notice how Ferdinand DESTROYED Torres at the weekend? Overrated me hearse.

D
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 19:331 edit
    Originally posted by Ragnorak

D
    Replace "Ferdinand" with "the ManU defence" and "DESTROYED" with "kicked" and we're somewhere near describing who did what on Sunday.
  8. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 19:59
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Replace "Ferdinand" with "the ManU defence" and "DESTROYED" with "kicked" and we're somewhere near describing who did what on Sunday.
    He got fouled once or twice, and hurt his ribs jumping with Vidic.

Here, have a play on this...
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/pspauld/tinyviolin.jpg

D
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 19:59
    "I want to see various players and see how they captain the side and I will rotate them during these warm-up games," added Capello.

"I will use at least two more."

D
    I still don't see why Ferdinand should even be considered. Being captain is not about footballing ability.
  10. 6yd box
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 20:08
    I still don't see why Ferdinand should even be considered. Being captain is not about footballing ability.
    thats a very good point.

I have never been a fan of Rio as a fotballer as most of you know, and I am not sure if he has the mentality to be captain.

Dose he inspire people around him, i dont think so. But its a friendly so who cares
  11. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 20:08
    IMO, the captain ideally would be one of the centre backs. Second best would be centre midfield.

Obviously, it all depends on the individual player, but I think that a captain can influence a game more from those positions that others. I think goalkeeping captains are a waste of space. Strikers would be just behind them.

Look through the squad... http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/Players/
    The only other players involved who could be named captain are Terry, Gerrard and possibly Lampard. Gerrard had already captained the side, so that leaves the other 3. Capello might be doubtful about Lampard as a starter and Terry has been captain already a lot.

D
  12. Santiago
    Moves
    25 Mar '08 20:201 edit
    Originally posted by stringbean
    It is an unnecessary friendly that only benefits the French for Euro practice. The timing at this stage of the season is a disaster and it is there just to make money. It seems that the new manager has already made it clear that he wont take any nonsense off of the big 4 for phantom injuries, as pretty much no-one has dropped out. I am surprised by the fact we have a full squad.

It should have been boycotted by fans in disgust at Englands incompetence. But the muppets are only too willing to be bribed into going by the promise of England Caps for WC 2010 tickets.

Apparantly, you can polish a turd after all. You can even make one captain.
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 08:11
    capello seems to be installing a bit a pride in the current crop of overrated millionaire playboys/part-time footballers. i little bit of fear, seems to be helping too.
    i welcome any friendly regardless if its an importent time in the domestic season, doesnt seem to stop the rugby and cricket world, but then they seem to understand the importance of international sport, football just knows the importance of money.
    so lets get behind england, try to get a bit of that 96 spirit back ready for the world cup qualifiers.
    "footballs coming home"................at some point.
  14. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 08:30
    IMO, the captain ideally would be one of the centre backs. Second best would be centre midfield.

Obviously, it all depends on the individual player, but I think that a captain can influence a game more from those positions that others. I think goalkeeping captains are a waste of space. Strikers would be just behind them.

Look through the squad... h ...[text shortened]... ello might be doubtful about Lampard as a starter and Terry has been captain already a lot.

D
    Ferdinand is a poor choice as captain... has never been and will never be a leader.
    The only serious long term contenders are John Terry and Steven Gerrard...

The squad lacks leadership generally when compared with the side of a few years ago - that had captains all over the park... Pearce, Adams, Ince, Shearer etc...
  15. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '08 12:391 edit
    Originally posted by blade68
    The squad lacks leadership generally when compared with the side of a few years ago - that had captains all over the park... Pearce, Adams, Ince, Shearer etc...
    This reminds me of why I'm not overly bothered who the captain is.

Football isn't like cricket (and to a lesser extent rugby) where the captain is constantly making tactical decisions, and so the role is very important. In football it's more about showing 'leadership'. As you point out, you don't need to be captain to do this. Adams was never given the captaincy (except for maybe the odd game or two), yet he showed great leadership because that's who he was. The best leaders will lead regardless.

Conversely, you can't make someone a good leader simply by giving him an armband.

So in football it's more of a ceremonial thing. Give it to someone who can represent the team well.

In other words, not Ferdinand πŸ™‚

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree