English just don't get it...

English just don't get it...

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by Red Night
No question football is huge.

In my mind it has to be the # 1 "spectator sport"

Now we've been down this road before. In terms of participation you get these strange stats about Volleyball and Ping-Pong.

the ping pongers come out with the same sort of reasoning as the cricketeers. "A billion chinese play ping-pong"

Volleyball showed up high o ...[text shortened]... find that info since no cricketeer is likely to want to find the sad truth about his sport.
Nothing strange about the ping pong stats unless you compare them to your nearly as popular dragon boat racing.

Table tennis IS the national sport of China. China's population "dwarfs" everyones. Parks and sport centres all over China have TT tables as central features since Mao made it compulsory in their schools. Their are huge numbers of players in many third world countries, especially Asia. It is a simple game that requires little space or organisation.

For your stupid stats to work, MOST middle aged women in the world would be playing volleyball. Yet wherever I go in the the world, there is never large amounts of middle aged women playing sport.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by rhb
Do I get another go if I point out your typo, Jon?
NO, not unless Norklysk wants to give you a "virtual" pat on the back.

Go check in general...that's where the spelling Nazis usually hang out.

Feel free to eat your doughnut on the way.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by petrosianpupil
Nothing strange about the ping pong stats unless you compare them to your nearly as popular dragon boat racing.

Table tennis IS the national sport of China. China's population "dwarfs" everyones. Parks and sport centres all over China have TT tables as central features since Mao made it compulsory in their schools. Their are huge numbers of players ...[text shortened]... rever I go in the the world, there is never large amounts of middle aged women playing sport.
That response was intended for mtthw.

I believe I made the point that ping pong was popular in China. Thanks for repeating it back to me.

You seem to be fixated on middle-aged woman. Sounds like osmething you should talk to your therapist about.

Did you ever answer the question aoubt which was more popular: Baseball or Cricket?

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
30 Apr 07

Go check in general...that's where the spelling Nazis usually hang out.

Feel free to eat your doughnut on the way.
I don't know what's better, a virtual pat or a a virtual Doughnut.

What is amusing though is how you gave one out without hesitation, but the tone of your above post mocks someone who gives out the other.

N

The sky

Moves
30 Apr 07

I'll give him a møsbrømlefse.

m

Moves
30 Apr 07

I would love to find a source that gave definitive stats on participation, particularly baseball versus cricket. Obviously, it is up to us baseball fans to find that info since no cricketeer is likely to want to find the sad truth about his sport.
One problem is that you'll only ever get reliable statistics for registered participants. With many sports, most people playing them aren't registered. I don't believe for a moment there are people playing volleyball than football, but I could believe that more of them are registered with national bodies.

The other issue is whether you should be measuring participants or fans.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by rhb
I don't know what's better, a virtual pat or a a virtual Doughnut.

What is amusing though is how you gave one out without hesitation, but the tone of your above post mocks someone who gives out the other.
I didn't give you a doughnut. I told you take one from the nurse's station on your way to bingo. Perhaps you missed the joke.

You see I was implying that you were locked up in a mental institution.
Nurse's station...bingo...get it? If not, maybe you can ask one of the less mentally challenged patients on your floor to explain it to you.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
I'll give him a møsbrømlefse.
Me next!

What is it?

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by mtthw
One problem is that you'll only ever get reliable statistics for registered participants. With many sports, most people playing them aren't registered. I don't believe for a moment there are people playing volleyball than football, but I could believe that more of them are registered with national bodies.

The other issue is whether you should be measuring participants or fans.
I think for purposes of this debate, we ought to be measuring fans. I also think it would probably be a good idea to concentrate on team sports. If we do that we eliminate a lot of the noise. Having done that I would then rank the sports as follows (for world-wide popularity):

Football/Soccer
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Cricket
American Football

Would you agree or disagree?

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Me next!

What is it?

P-
It must be a migraine because that is what Nordlys usually gives.

N

The sky

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Me next!

What is it?

P-
NMLOA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B8sbr%C3%B8mlefse

N

The sky

Moves
30 Apr 07

It must be a migraine because that is what Nordlys usually gives.
NHOD (Nordlys Hodepine of Disapproval)

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
30 Apr 07

BTW, I looked up Dragon Boat Racing and apparently 50 million chinese participate.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
30 Apr 07

I didn't give you a doughnut. I told you take one from the nurse's station on your way to bingo. Perhaps you missed the joke.

You see I was implying that you were locked up in a mental institution.
Nurse's station...bingo...get it? If not, maybe you can ask one of the less mentally challenged patients on your floor to explain it to you.
It was a joke! Ah, my mistake. I thought jokes were supposed to be funny.

Anyway you introduced a virtual Doughnut into the thread, yet mock a virtual patter.

I'll take a virtual whateverNoodleshastooffer and leave you to your sad existence.

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
30 Apr 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
NMLOA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B8sbr%C3%B8mlefse
Sounds rancid, but I'll try anything once.

(Do I get a pat on the back for trying? )