1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 00:50
    It is interesting to me how much this and other forums on the site are dominated by the English.

There are 42,000 players flying the US flag on this site and only 4100 flying the English flag + 14,000 flying the Union jack.

Yet, in this forum, (and every other forum as far as I can tell), the English out post every other nationality by 4 or 5 to 1.

I guess that's why their sports teams are so poor. Rather sit around typing than go outside and get physical.
  2. LA
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 01:24
    Originally posted by Red Night
    It is interesting to me how much this and other forums on the site are dominated by the English.

There are 42,000 players flying the US flag on this site and only 4100 flying the English flag + 14,000 flying the Union jack.

Yet, in this forum, (and every other forum as far as I can tell), the English out post every other nationality by 4 or 5 to 1.
    ...[text shortened]... why their sports teams are so poor. Rather sit around typing than go outside and get physical.
    English sports teams are mixed in their abilities.
    We have in the last 8 years:-
    - Won the Rugby world cup
    - Won the ashes (beating the best cricket team of all time)
    - Have arguably 4 of the best 8 football/soccer teams in world football
    - Won European Champions League twice
    Not great but not too bad.

A more accurate representation of a poor sporting nation would have to be a country like Scotland.
    The only achivement I can think of from a Scot would be Sir Alex Fergusons achievements at Manchester United (in England).

On your second point, not sure why the English out post all other countries 4 to 1.
    Maybe proportionally as a nation we have higher standards of education (tending to study rather than go out and get physical) and have a lot of diverse opinions on subjects.
    It also rains a lot more in England so we tend to stay indoors more often.
  3. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 03:03

...[text shortened]... why their sports teams are so poor. Rather sit around typing than go outside and get physical.
    Top 4 sports in the world.

1. Football (not NFL, no-one cares about NFL)
    2. Basketball
    3. Auto-racing
    4. Tennis

Now tell me what the US has achieved in these sports recently?

Per capita, the US get spanked in the Olympics too.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/spo_sum_oly_med_all_tim_percap-medals-all-time-per-capita
  4. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 03:26
    Originally posted by Esoteric
    Top 4 sports in the world.

1. Football (not NFL, no-one cares about NFL)
    2. Basketball
    3. Auto-racing
    4. Tennis

Now tell me what the US has achieved in these sports recently?

Per capita, the US get spanked in the Olympics too.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/spo_sum_oly_med_all_tim_percap-medals-all-time-per-capita
    Basketball is THAT popular around the world? Really?

Where did you get these findings? I'm interested where baseball and rugby and cricket fall.

P-
  5. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 05:08

it bothers me when people talk about things they now nothing about.

message me and i will gladly explain it to you
  6. Joined
    01 Jan '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 05:16
    Originally posted by Phlabibit

Where did you get these findings? I'm interested where baseball and rugby and cricket fall.

P-
    baseball is very popular in England it is played by small girls and called rounders,Likewise basket ball ,played by slightly taller girls and called netball ,hockey too has been the main sport taught in girls schools.Not that I am calling you guys cissies or nothin ..but you do tend to have gone for all the girlie girlie games
  7. Standard memberEsoteric
    Cognitive Junta
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 07:16

P-
    Basketball is huge in China and most of Europe. Baseball is pretty much the Americas and Japan. Cricket is pretty big because most of the English colonies play it. Spectator wise i think it is the second biggest (due to India's love affair and their population). Not sure about Rugby.

I think Volleyball is right up there too.
  8. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 11:29

LOL..... our secrets out.....
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 15:59
    Basketball is huge in China and most of Europe. Baseball is pretty much the Americas and Japan. Cricket is pretty big because most of the English colonies play it. Spectator wise i think it is the second biggest (due to India's love affair and their population). Not sure about Rugby.

I think Volleyball is right up there too.
    Baseball absolutely dwarfs cricket.

Cricket is played only in the backwaters of a once great empire.
  10. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 16:02

P-
    Basketball is huge around the world. Played everywhere but England.

Germany, Spain, Brazil, Argentina, every part of the former Yugoslavia and USSR, China, Italy, Greece, Israel,...
  11. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 16:02
    Originally posted by smartrrrrs
    baseball is very popular in England it is played by small girls and called rounders,Likewise basket ball ,played by slightly taller girls and called netball ,hockey too has been the main sport taught in girls schools.Not that I am calling you guys cissies or nothin ..but you do tend to have gone for all the girlie girlie games
    Over here in the US, little girls have tea parties....same over there in England for your cricketeers.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 16:08
    No-one cares about NFL
    I care.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 16:11
    Baseball absolutely dwarfs cricket.

Cricket is played only in the backwaters of a once great empire.
    Lol, not hardly. Cricket is probably the second biggest sport in the world, football (not that NFL rubbish) coming first.

Baseball probably just about makes it into the top ten if you're lucky.
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 16:25
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Lol, not hardly. Cricket is probably the second biggest sport in the world, football (not that NFL rubbish) coming first.

Shut up. Thanx in advance.

P-
  15. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    30 Apr '07 16:26
    Originally posted by Starrman

Spammann, spammann, time to wake up...you've been dreaming again.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree