English just don't get it...

English just don't get it...

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by Esoteric
Yep, real good result. USA finished last in their group, did not win a match and they only scored 1 goal (against Ghana). Italy scored an own goal in the 1 -1 draw with the USA.

Even Australia did better than you guys.

13, second rate players in the premier league will not win you a world cup.
Must Resist Defending US! It's Soccer!

Gah!

P-

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by Esoteric
Yep, real good result. USA finished last in their group, did not win a match and they only scored 1 goal (against Ghana). Italy scored an own goal in the 1 -1 draw with the USA.

Even Australia did better than you guys.

13, second rate players in the premier league will not win you a world cup.
Australia was the surprise of this year's cup.

US was the surprise of 4 years ago.

I'm sorry, now that I live in the US I must have missed a rule change. I didn't realize that own goals didn't count anymore...

Australia had a weak bracket. US was in a strong bracket.

ROa
Always a Red

LA

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by darvlay
Why is the NFL rubbish?

It's a highly strategic game.
It's extremely physical.
It takes tremondous talent and mental acumen to play.
The league is run incredibly well.
The athletes are comparatively reasonably paid.
The season is the perfect length (only 17 weeks).
The playoffs are incredibly dramatic and exciting.
Going to the games is a great experience and always fun.
Everything you say is true but the problem is the pain of watching 55 minutes of tv adverts and 5 minutes of action in a one hour period makes NFL rubbish!

s

Moves
01 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
Everything you say is true but the problem is the pain of watching 55 minutes of tv adverts and 5 minutes of action in a one hour period makes NFL rubbish!
sounds great I am not quite sure what nfl is but I DO LIKE A GOOD ADVERT

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by Red Night
Next time around may be different. I think that we have gotten over our belief that the previous losses were just "accidents." If we put together a real team with role players and practice and not just send an all-star team...we'll win. It is almost inconceivable to think we won't win again.

The big shock to our close-minded European friends will come when we win the World Cup.
What world cup are you talking about then? would that be the football world cup because that’s what I thought you meant and to be honest Red Night I haven’t laughed that much for so so long. USA win the football world cup, laugh, I laugh my head off. You were royally dumped on your arse out of the world cup last year, your domestic league sucks, you can only attract players that are looking at making a buck for retirement. Europe is the centre and heart of football, every world class player plays in Europe. Americans get so pissed off because they can't be the best at the most popular sport in the world, the biggest and best sport in the world and you can't cut it. Ow I bet that really hurts you eh? America, can’t be the best at the biggest sport in the world, I bet your teeth are grating right now!!
Oh yeah, who’s been kicking USA ass again and again and again in Golf....Ryder cup...remember that?? No course not, I forgot, Americans lose interest in sports they can't and don't win. They create sports that are just copies of our games but with slight changes. Take American football, what the hell?? Guys wearing pads and helmets…… no no boys, come play rugby, a real mans sport......we bleed on the pitch lads, we don't need any padding or helmets.

Anyway, come back in maybe 50 years time when you might have at least an outside chance of wining the football world cup, hahahahah

m

Moves
01 May 07

Australia was the surprise of this year's cup.

US was the surprise of 4 years ago.
Australia wasn't that big a surprise. We knew they had some decent players.

I didn't consider the US that big a surprise in 2002 either. That time was a bit unusual in that a lot of the 'big' teams performed poorly, which really opened the field to any team that could play to its potential. As well as the US reaching the quarter-finals, South Korea and Turkey reached the semis.

d

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit
PIBOQ!
HIAFEC!

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by 1WhiteKnight
What world cup are you talking about then? would that be the football world cup because that’s what I thought you meant and to be honest Red Night I haven’t laughed that much for so so long. USA win the football world cup, laugh, I laugh my head off. You were royally dumped on your arse out of the world cup last year, your domestic league sucks, you can ...[text shortened]... when you might have at least an outside chance of wining the football world cup, hahahahah
We will be celebrating the 50 year anniversary of England's only win soon enough.

Maybe they'll have a parade.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by mtthw
Australia wasn't that big a surprise. We knew they had some decent players.

I didn't consider the US that big a surprise in 2002 either. That time was a bit unusual in that a lot of the 'big' teams performed poorly, which really opened the field to any team that could play to its potential. As well as the US reaching the quarter-finals, South Korea and Turkey reached the semis.
And therein lies the point. The big teams, as you like to call them, have performed poorly the last several cups.

US will win one before England wins another. US may win two or three before England wins again. England may never win again.

m

Moves
01 May 07

And therein lies the point. The big teams, as you like to call them, have performed poorly the last several cups.

US will win one before England wins another. US may win two or three before England wins again. England may never win again.
2006: Italy, Germany, France in the semis. Brazil and Argentina in the quarter-finals. Normal service is resumed.

I would agree that England may not win one for a long time. The World Cup is very competitive. But in the near future they're more likely to than the US. I think it will need a cultural change in the US for them to become likely contenders.

The one big advantage the US does have is qualification. North American teams have the easiest qualification ride at the moment.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
01 May 07

It is interesting to me how much this and other forums on the site are dominated by the English.

There are 42,000 players flying the US flag on this site and only 4100 flying the English flag + 14,000 flying the Union jack.

Yet, in this forum, (and every other forum as far as I can tell), the English out post every other nationality by 4 or 5 to 1.
...[text shortened]... why their sports teams are so poor. Rather sit around typing than go outside and get physical.
Cheers for that, glad to know England is as popular as ever...

Moves
01 May 07

yeah good one Red Night!!

If that wasn’t so unbelievable I would actually enter into debate with you about it. Next time you try to bait us use something a lot more believable and we may bite.

US win before England wins next....man you crack me up dude!

Moves
01 May 07

We will be celebrating the 50 year anniversary of England's only win soon enough.

Maybe they'll have a parade.
good for the English, one more parade than the USA then.

Have the USA ever won the world cup......????

errr, that would be a NO!

JJ

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by 1WhiteKnight
good for the English, one more parade than the USA then.

Have the USA ever won the world cup......????

errr, that would be a NO!
LMAO !!!!!!
Hey 1WhiteKnight...this is becoming a habit....twice we are in agreement.... poor old America eh! They even call it soccer!!! and play rugby instead of it !!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moves
01 May 07

Originally posted by Jay Joos
LMAO !!!!!!
Hey 1WhiteKnight...this is becoming a habit....twice we are in agreement.... poor old America eh! They even call it soccer!!! and play rugby instead of it !!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed my friend! Amazing what a common cause such as lambasting the yanks about football (that’s soccer you guys, got it?) can do!!

One thing I’d like to straighten you out on though Jay Joos, they TRY to play rugby, they don’t really play it. Without the pads and helmets they are scared of getting hurt!