1. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 11:151 edit
    As an American, I guess I'm not supposed to say this, but I think European sports are superior to those played in America. Success in soccer (European Football) depends mostly on positioning, speed, and brains, not brute force, as in American football, the same can be said of rugby. Cricket is a wonderful game, and much more interesting to watch than American baseball. European sports stars are also better educated, a little less arrogent, and seem to have fewer legal problems than there American counterparts. There are a few execptions to this of course, but I think the American sports community has much to learn from Europe. 😏
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 11:43
    Originally posted by bill718
    As an American, I guess I'm not supposed to say this, but I think European sports are superior to those played in America. Success in soccer (European Football) depends mostly on positioning, speed, and brains, not brute force, as in American football, the same can be said of rugby. Cricket is a wonderful game, and much more interesting to watch than America ...[text shortened]... to this of course, but I think the American sports community has much to learn from Europe. 😏
    Approved. 😀
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 11:48
    LOL, you're obviously joking, but I'd love it if the US took a serious interest in football (soccer). It's a bit sad that one of the biggest sporting nations doesn't care about the most popular sport in the world.
  4. Break-twitching
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 06:332 edits
    As an American, I guess I'm not supposed to say this, but I think European sports are superior to those played in America. Success in soccer (European Football) depends mostly on positioning, speed, and brains, not brute force, as in American football, the same can be said of rugby. Cricket is a wonderful game, and much more interesting to watch than America ...[text shortened]... to this of course, but I think the American sports community has much to learn from Europe. 😏
    Being as Seattle is not really considerd a part of the U.S, (Canada, maybe...or Cuba) and the fact that it rains too much, you're excused for this 'watterlogged' logic of comparing European and American sports. There is no comparison. 😏
  5. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 09:29
    Every nation has it's own favourites. Association Football is a true world game kids love it in Sth Am, Africa, Fiji, China and USA..

Parts of Australia like to a game where run around an oval field. They bounce a rugby ball as they run and knock it to each other then kick the ball between two tall posts. The other team have to shoulder bump them, steal the ball and kick it their way. But wait there really is more!!! they play wearing skimpy shorts and tight singlets.

In some prisons they play original no rules footy in a gym with full contact unpadded crash tackling... ouch

What floats the boat in your neck of the woods
  6. weedhopper
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 19:18
    To each his own. I like most sports, but the national sport of Afghanistan? As I understand, it resembles polo, with the "objective" being the headless carcass of a goat. (What happens to the head, I don't know---a spoil to the victor, maybe?)
  7. Joined
    01 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 20:10
    I have never understood why anyone takes any interest in a game of any kind that they are not involved in..England against anyone????..I don't care...I'm not on the pitch playing, I have no control over the result...who cares and why? I have played many sports in my life, and I take a keen interest in my performance and how I compare to the best exponents of them, but I genuinely cannot get caught up in the hysteria which seems to be the pre-requisite for following a team or national event. If we lose, win or draw, why do people care so much?
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 20:13
    Originally posted by ayceebee
    I have never understood why anyone takes any interest in a game of any kind that they are not involved in..England against anyone????..I don't care...I'm not on the pitch playing, I have no control over the result...who cares and why? I have played many sports in my life, and I take a keen interest in my performance and how I compare to the best exponents o ...[text shortened]... e for following a team or national event. If we lose, win or draw, why do people care so much?
    Because it's fun to wave the big styro-foam "We're Number One !" finger around?
  9. Joined
    08 Sep '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 20:20
    But you're not "number one"...the team may be, but you didn't play..you were only watching.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    15 Feb '09 20:28
    USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!! USA!!

NUMBER ONE BIEACTH

USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA!!!!!!!
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 00:44
    I have never understood why anyone takes any interest in a game of any kind that they are not involved in..England against anyone????..I don't care...I'm not on the pitch playing, I have no control over the result...who cares and why? I have played many sports in my life, and I take a keen interest in my performance and how I compare to the best exponents o ...[text shortened]... e for following a team or national event. If we lose, win or draw, why do people care so much?
    Your in a very very very tiny minority on this one!

For me if a person loves playing a sport you can usually assume that they have at least a casual interest in watching it, I've actually never in my life met anydody who plays football and wouldnt watch the odd game so I think it's bizzare that someone can feel this way

You say you take a keen interest in how you perform compared to the best exponents of them...is that not the same think and enjoying watching people that are better than you play?

You have to support a team or care about your country doing well befor you can start to understand it...once you do this you become emotionally involved in the game so it definitely does matter to you who wins or loses...for me it's the fact that I care so much that makes my sport quite simply the best thing in the world
  12. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 01:16
    Are you Prince Philip?

😲
  13. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 05:26
    gosh, there sure are some stupid people in the world...
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 07:38
    They need to do something to make it a bit easier to score in soccer. It gets too boring when some games are decided 1-0.
  15. Berks.
    Moves
    16 Feb '09 08:16
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    Are you Prince Philip?

😲
    He can't be. He didn't insult anyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree