European sports are superior

European sports are superior

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by dystoniac
Being as Seattle is not really considerd a part of the U.S, (Canada, maybe...or Cuba) and the fact that it rains too much, you're excused for this 'watterlogged' logic of comparing European and American sports. There is no comparison. 😏
Seattle is part of Cuba?? Wow...I see you rate pretty high on the education scale. Where did you go to high school? Crawford, Texas??😏

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by bill718
Seattle is part of Cuba?? Wow...I see you rate pretty high on the education scale. Where did you go to high school? Crawford, Texas??😏
i think it's pretty clear that he didn't go to high school.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by Ragnorak
And yet you like chess. 😉

D
If chess was like soccer, there would be 50-60 moves of just shuffling the pieces back and forth. No attacks, no exchanges, just shuffling.

Then, finally, a piece would be captured and the crowd would go wild and the announcers would get nearly orgasmically excited over it.

S
Lead, Follow, or..

Saint Petersburg, FL

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
If chess was like soccer, there would be 50-60 moves of just shuffling the pieces back and forth. No attacks, no exchanges, just shuffling.

Then, finally, a piece would be captured and the crowd would go wild and the announcers would get nearly orgasmically excited over it.
I certainly agree.. sitting in a stadium getting 'crick-neck' from watching the ball go back and forth, and to end up 3 hours later 0-0 is not my idea of fun 🙁

M

Moves
17 Feb 09
1 edit

actually - chess is a lot like soccer

in games between top players, the game is often decided by someone gaining a single pawn -- in soccer, the game is often decided by a lone goal.

as such, chess becomes an intense battle of positioning - of attacks, defense, counters -- and lots and lots of tension - and it ultimately comes down to someone making a brilliant combination to get that one pawn or gain a decisive edge going into end game -- or else it ends as a draw.

a good game of soccer has all of these elements - with that one brilliant play that will win the game

of course, you get bad chess where one or both players make bad moves - much like a bad soccer game where goals get scored because someone screws up

one major difference, though -- you don't have a red card rule in chess where, due to unsportsmanlike conduct, the opponent would get an extra move. 😀

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit

To be honest, that just shows a total lack of appreciation for the sport.

In soccer, great defence can cancel out great attacking. Instead of viewing soccer as "shuffling the pieces back and forth", if you understood the subtleties of soccer, you'd view some 0-0 games as masterful defence winning out. In chess, beautiful play (nice attacks floundering on superb defensive play) can happen even if no pieces are taken. The same can be said of soccer.

To only appreciate goals is analagous to only appreciating checkmate in chess.

One of the best games I ever watched was Germany v Italy when the brilliance of the Italian defence snuffed out all of Germany's attacking threats. I remember Cannavaro was supreme that night in his understanding and positioning.

No goals, but unbelievable to watch (for a true soccer fan) nonetheless.

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by SmookieP
I certainly agree.. sitting in a stadium getting 'crick-neck' from watching the ball go back and forth, and to end up 3 hours later 0-0 is not my idea of fun 🙁
See, the types of people who can't appreciate low scoring soccer matches are the types of guys who don't know how long a soccer game is.

D

rc

Moves
17 Feb 09

As an American, I guess I'm not supposed to say this, but I think European sports are superior to those played in America. Success in soccer (European Football) depends mostly on positioning, speed, and brains, not brute force, as in American football, the same can be said of rugby. Cricket is a wonderful game, and much more interesting to watch than America ...[text shortened]... to this of course, but I think the American sports community has much to learn from Europe. 😏
I hail you as a visionary my friend, Let us be done with it and let us recolonize the wayward nation for its own sake! We shall forget about those miscreant Bostonians if you forget that we torched the Whitehouse! and America will embrace all these sports and bring itself closer to the rest of the civilized world.

g

Moves
17 Feb 09

As an American, I guess I'm not supposed to say this, but I think European sports are superior to those played in America. Success in soccer (European Football) depends mostly on positioning, speed, and brains, not brute force, as in American football, the same can be said of rugby. Cricket is a wonderful game, and much more interesting to watch than America ...[text shortened]... to this of course, but I think the American sports community has much to learn from Europe. 😏
The NFL is more a game of skill then you know about. There are a lot of strong players that never made it in the NFL because their skill level was not too poor. Strength alone will not be enough. What can Europe teach us? Maybe how to do a riot when our team does not win.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
17 Feb 09
1 edit

Originally posted by gambit3
What can Europe teach us? Maybe how to do a riot when our team does not win.
Seems like you learned violence right off the bat.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/american-football-oakland-riots-highlight-ugly-side-of-us-sport-605259.html

D

g

Moves
17 Feb 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Seems like you learned violence right off the bat.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/american-football-oakland-riots-highlight-ugly-side-of-us-sport-605259.html

D
The Oakland Raiders gave in to the dark side. P.S. Darth Vader is a Oakland Raiders fan.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by gambit3
The Oakland Raiders gave in to the dark side. P.S. Darth Vader is a Oakland Raiders fan.
I guess Darth Maul is an Eagles fan, eh?

Interesting article for you...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2005/dec/07/ussport.football

D

Moves
17 Feb 09

this is a stupid argument

i'll break it down for you.

american football - good
soccer - good
baseball - good
cricket - good
ice hockey - good
rugby - good
basketball - crap

this is all you need to know about american or european sports.

fact.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by trev33
this is a stupid argument

i'll break it down for you.

american football - good
soccer - good
baseball - good
cricket - good
ice hockey - good
rugby - good
basketball - crap

this is all you need to know about american or european sports.

fact.
Where you always picked last when you played basketball?

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Where you always picked last when you played basketball?
actually no, basketball and cricket were the two sports that i was always one of the first picks. it doesn't change the fact that it's the most boring sport in the world to watch.

it's not that great to play either actually, unless it's the basketball thing at an arcade and you're up against some people.