1. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 May '07 10:15
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Oh, so let me get this straight: Dull, defensive, long-ball, tight matches are [b]not representative of English football?[/b]
    Correct.

D
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    22 May '07 10:29
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Correct.

D
    mmmhhh... then we have different views, impossible to match.

For my taste, English football is more physical than technical, plus the ball stays in the air more than in the grass (this is an exageration but the point is that).

I am not discussing here about if it is effective or not, but about the style. And the style, I repeat, is dull for my taste.
  3. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 May '07 10:41
    I prefer to see Athletic Bilbao v. Nastic (bottom in the Spanish standings) than any Newcastle, West Ham, etcetera. But that's because that the style of game.
    You are showing your ignorance of the Premier League with the teams that you chose as examples of defensive, long ball merchants.

Newcastle and West Ham would be good examples of ball playing teams.

If you'd said Chelsea or Watford or Bolton, then I'd have had to agree with you.

Did you watch the Man United v Roma game (7-1)? Or Man United v Milan (3-2) game? Or United v Everton (2-0 down to come back and win 4-2), or any Arsenal game? Just look at Alan Smith's goal against Roma, http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFeeWYjXAq4, 1 touch pass, 1 touch pass, 1 touch pass, 1 touch pass, 1 touch GOAL!

But, no you're right. We should judge an entire league by 1 non-league match, where 1 team's tactics was to spoil, and the other played well below par. 🙄

D
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    22 May '07 10:491 edit
    You are showing your ignorance of the Premier League with the teams that you chose as examples of defensive, long ball merchants.

Newcastle and West Ham would be good examples of ball playing teams.

If you'd said Chelsea or Watford or Bolton, then I'd have had to agree with you.

Did you watch the Man United v Roma game (7-1)? Or Man United v Mil e match, where 1 team's tactics was to spoil, and the other played well below par. 🙄

D
    Actually I mentioned teams just to mention, so it is unfair to base your judgement on that. But do as you wish, because you are anglo-centric and nothing will change that flaw.

Now, you can mention me 100 games with lots of goals, and most likely I've seen most of them and enjoyed them tremendously. I also can name you 100 matches in other leagues that are boring, and that proves nothing.

Your examples do not prove that the English football is technical, entertaining, technical, and with the ball to the foot.

My judgement obeys to every weekend checking matches from Italian, Spanish and English footie (plus some German as well). If one day you care to abandon momentarily your anglo-centrism and do the same exercise, you will see what I mean.

Hey, but no worries, to everyone its philias. Enjoy yours towards the English.

Edit. And just to make very clear, since your anal retentiveness is outstanding: The FA Cup final is not all my base to consider English football dull. It is representative of the dullness I've witnessed before.
  5. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    22 May '07 10:54
    Actually I mentioned teams just to mention, so it is unfair to base your judgement on that. But do as you wish, because you are [b]anglo-centric and nothing will change that flaw.

Now, you can mention me 100 games with lots of goals, and most likely I've seen most of them and enjoyed them tremendously. I also can name you 100 matches in other leagues t ...[text shortened]... to consider English football dull. It is representative of the dullness I've witnessed before.[/b]
    Good post and we are guilty as charged.

Shame your political views are not as balanced as your sporting ones.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    22 May '07 11:151 edit
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    Good post and we are guilty as charged.

Shame your political views are not as balanced as your sporting ones.
    No criticism, mate. It's just a footie that does not fit my tastes, but maybe that's my problem for not understanding highly tactical and closed matches, who knows.

On the second thing... oh well, even if I look like I am... I am not perfect 😛

Edit. Seriously now, that's the bauty of football. Hooligans aside (from any country), the rest of us normal people may hate each other for political or religious views... but when the ball starts rolling, we all speak the same language. I know, it sounds like Coca-Cola TV ad, but I do believe footie is a beautiful, universal thing.
  7. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    22 May '07 22:19
    Actually I mentioned teams just to mention, so it is unfair to base your judgement on that. But do as you wish, because you are [b]anglo-centric and nothing will change that flaw.[/b]
    You seem to be arguing for the sake of it.

I don't believe I ever stated that the Premier League is the best in the world. I just have a problem with somebody absurdly judging a League by 1 atrocious Cup match.

That match was so bad, that by the end, I was so lethargic, I actually wasn't bothered that we lost. If that was the football that I was watching week in week out with the Premiership, I'd take up something more enjoyably, like self-harming.

D
  8. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    23 May '07 06:01
    You seem to be arguing for the sake of it.

I don't believe I ever stated that the Premier League is the best in the world. I just have a problem with somebody absurdly judging a League by 1 atrocious Cup match.

That match was so bad, that by the end, I was so lethargic, I actually wasn't bothered that we lost. If that was the football that I was w ...[text shortened]... week out with the Premiership, I'd take up something more enjoyably, like self-harming.

D
    Not at all. That is the difference in this thread: I think the FA Cup final
    is quite representative of English football. You don't.

So I don't think it is an isolated match.

As for the second thing: No, you didn't... I was the one who said
    "for those who say English footie is the best" or something like that.

Actually, I have changed my views on this matter: I used to think
    La Liga was the best footie in the world, but after reding some facts
    posted by petrosian and rooneyonceablue, among others, I realized
    that Italian and English football are achieving much more than Spanish
    these days.

Therefore, I concluded that the best footie is in Europe (England,
    Italy, Spain, and maybe also Germany thanks to the battle in the
    top by Stugart) but which one to watch is a matter of tastes.

My taste simply finds hard to swallow English footie, except the open
    games where the coaches let the talented players do what they know.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 May '07 08:111 edit
    Did you watch the Man United v Roma game (7-1)? Or Man United v Milan (3-2) game? [...] Just look at Alan Smith's goal against Roma, http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFeeWYjXAq4, 1 touch pass, 1 touch pass, 1 touch pass, 1 touch pass, 1 touch GOAL!
    At least have some coherence. Weren't you saying that only Premiership matches are representative of the English league?

😵
  10. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 May '07 09:161 edit
    I think the FA Cup final is quite representative of English football.
    Would you say the world cup final is representative of world football?

2006 Penalties. Most memorable for the Zidane headbutt, hardly an advert for the beautiful game.

2002 Two Ronaldo goals. TBH I don't recall much of this game, but I don't think it was a thriller. The tournament memories (the small teams Korea and Turkey's amazing run to the semi's etc) last more than the final.

1998 A one sided final due to the Ronaldo hype before kick off. Again the hype detracts from the game.

1994 😴
    1990 😴

These two finals nearly killed world football.

1986 - at last a decent game!

So, on reflection, looking only at these one off finals, world football is dull. Discuss.

Edit - have you considered the 2006 FA Cup final also?
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 May '07 09:21
    Originally posted by rhb

2006 Penalties. Most memorable for the Zidane headbutt, hardly an advert for the beautiful game.

2002 Two Ronaldo goals. TBH I don't recall much of this game, but I don't think it was a thriller. The tournament memories (the small teams Korea and Turkey's amazing run to the semi's etc) ...[text shortened]...

So, on reflection, looking only at these one off finals, world football is dull. Discuss.
    Hate to break it to you, but there's no world league.

The FA cup final was a game between two Premiership clubs, so it is as representative of a Premiership game as any one game can be. Perhaps even more so, as it was between the top two clubs of that year.
  12. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Moves
    23 May '07 09:243 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Hate to break it to you, but there's no world league.

Re-read the words I quoted! No mention of a league there.

The FA cup final was a game between two Premiership clubs, so it is as representative of a Premiership game as any one game can be. Perhaps even more so, as it was between the top two clubs of that year.

There was so much more resting on the final, than say the equivalent fixture between the same clubs mid-way through the season (where there is a long way to go). Man U the pressure of knowing they can win the double, Chelsea the pressure of the sack for Jose should they lose.

This cannot be held up as a representative game as a result.

Edits - stupid text shortening.
  13. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    23 May '07 09:271 edit
    Originally posted by rhb

2002 Two Ronaldo goals. TBH I don't recall much of this game, but I don't think it was a thriller. The tournament memories (the small teams Korea and Turkey's amazing run to the semi's etc) ...[text shortened]... , world football is dull. Discuss.

The more specific the sample the better the conclusion.

It's not the same a 2 unit sample of a universe of 10, than a 2 unit sample of a universe of 2000, so to speak.

So, your argument is well intentioned but flawed.
  14. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    23 May '07 09:291 edit
    Originally posted by rhb
    Originally posted by Palynka
    [b]Hate to break it to you, but there's no world league.

Re-read the words I quoted! No mention of a league there.

The FA cup final was a game between two Premiership clubs, so it is as representative of a Premiership game as any one game can be. Perhaps even more so, as it was between the top two clubs of that y ...[text shortened]... for Jose should they lose.

This cannot be held up as a representative game as a result.
    [/b]
    I'm starting to agree with Seitse 😞 in that you're a bunch of anal-retentive people.

Re-read the successive posts, this discussion is about being the FA cup final being representative of the Premiership quality or not. You know it, I know it, and everybody knows it. I'm not about to waste my time dragging out all the quotes from everyone, though.

[text shortened]
    I have to go, but I'll answer this later after you edit it...
  15. LA
    Moves
    23 May '07 09:29
    Originally posted by rhb

2002 Two Ronaldo goals. TBH I don't recall much of this game, but I don't think it was a thriller. The tournament memories (the small teams Korea and Turkey's amazing run to the semi's etc) ...[text shortened]... , world football is dull. Discuss.

Obviously RHB needs fast action supported by TV adverts to get his sporting fix.

2006 - Italy won, I would say that is representitive of world football.

2002 - RONALDO WAS THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD.

You are slagging off football all the time, maybe you should follow another sport instead of posting negative posts all the time Mr Self Appointed Moderator.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree