Fading English Premier League?

Fading English Premier League?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
In short the name could be French, Dutch or of Flemish origin. But read the top of the page, as usual the bit that contradicts your theory you conveniently leave out.

The most widely accepted theory about the origin of cricket is that it developed in early medieval times among the farming and metalworking communities of the Weald, which lies across ...[text shortened]... ity was ensured, and other southern counties like Berkshire, Essex, Hampshire and Middlesex.
theory smeary, Kent is practically France since you people were shafted by the Normans on the very same spot, Hastings in Sussex! Naturally William brought cricket, or should we say, croquet, with him! do you deny this?

In your face

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
theory smeary, Kent is practically France since you people were shafted by the Normans on the very same spot, Hastings in Sussex! Naturally William brought cricket, or should we say, croquet, with him! do you deny this?
...and croquet slowly evolved into crochet, an old womens' game with string, do you not see? Cricket evolved from elsewhere.

s

6yd box

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by phil3000
I think i have heard it all now !!!
When you felt your bum and your wife's bum , which one of you lifted the skirt ?
😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
21 Nov 09
1 edit

Actually Robbie the Battle of Hastings was fought on Senlac Hill 7 miles north of Hastings. It is a misonomer.

Well seeing how the earliest mention of a croquet style game in France is the 1300's, i fail to see how William the Conqueror could bring the game over with him as it was yet not invented. If you have knowledge of a time machine available to the invading Norman armyto produce this feat you mention i would be most interest to hear this.

But hey, why let logic, reason and evidence get in the way of your views? What am i thinking of?!

rc

Moves
21 Nov 09

Actually Robbie the Battle of Hastings was fought on Senlac Hill 7 miles north of Hastings. It is a misonomer.

Well seeing how the earliest mention of a croquet style game in France is the 1300's, i fail to see how William the Conqueror could bring the game over with him as it was yet not invented. If you have knowledge of a time machine available to ...[text shortened]... t hey, why let logic, reason and evidence get in the way of your views? What am i thinking of?!
Actrualy Noobster i am perfectly aware of where the battle was fought, having read, in my opinion, one of the greatest and well researched books on the subject, Sir Edward Bulwer Laytons, Harold the last of the Saxon Kings. it was a generalisation on which you are so fond to jump on and try to tie down as if it were a runaway kangaroo! clutchety clutch at strawety straw!

secondly, this is not merely my imagination, for i have looked into the subject previously, please view these images, the first of which clearly shows a croquet style of game, with only two stumps. i did not paint this picture.

http://www.bridgemanartondemand.com/art/213663/Early_cricket_with_two_stumps

next you will be trying to tell the forum that Cornish Pasties originated in Cornwall, i dunno!

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
21 Nov 09

Actrualy Noobster i am perfectly aware of where the battle was fought, having read, in my opinion, one of the greatest and well researched books on the subject, Sir Edward Bulwer Laytons, Harold the last of the Saxon Kings. it was a generalisation on which you are so fond to jump on and try to tie down as if it were a runaway kangaroo! clutchety cl ...[text shortened]...
next you will be trying to tell the forum that Cornish Pasties originated in Cornwall, i dunno!
I've seen a tv program on the history of cricket and this is how the game used to be played before three stumps were used. Just because it looks like a 'croquet style of game' as you put it, it doesn't automatically follow that the game is derived from croquet.

Of course a Cornish pasty is from Cornwall, that's what it's name is!! It's called a Cornish pasty because it was made in Cornwall. It would be called a Devon pasty if it was made in Devon, where the opriginal recipie came from i don't really care.

rc

Moves
21 Nov 09

I've seen a tv program on the history of cricket and this is how the game used to be played before three stumps were used. Just because it looks like a 'croquet style of game' as you put it, it doesn't automatically follow that the game is derived from croquet.

Of course a Cornish pasty is from Cornwall, that's what it's name is!! It's called a Cornis ...[text shortened]... asty if it was made in Devon, where the opriginal recipie came from i don't really care.
ok, so here we have it, the name is French, closely resembling croquet, it was initially played with two stumps and resembles croquet, but that also is just a coincidence and has absolutely no bearing on the matter whatsoever, that is what you are saying? and yes there is firm evidence that Cornish Pasties originated in Devon!

p

Moves
21 Nov 09
1 edit

its true, many Rangers fans stated that there were Chelsea fans present, what were they doing there, but to cause trouble? the reason we wear kilts is so that we can mooney you people with ease, for we know how it must tantalise you gaylords!
Isn't Edinburgh the gay capital of Europe ?
I was watching that "I am a celebrity ,get me out of here " thing set in the jungle the other night . The only two puffs in the camp and they are both Scottish !!!!! I dont know !!! 😛😛😛

rc

Moves
21 Nov 09

Isn't Edinburgh the gay capital of Europe ?
I was watching that "I am a celebrity ,get me out of here " thing set in the jungle the other night . The only two puffs in the camp and they are both Scottish !!!!! I dont know !!! 😛😛😛
yes it is!, we have tried to chisel it away and set it adrift in the north sea. we do not consider them Scottish at all, its an English province! The Rugby is gonna start anyminute, i canae wait!

p

Moves
21 Nov 09

yes it is!, we have tried to chisel it away and set it adrift in the north sea. we do not consider them Scottish at all, its an English province! The Rugby is gonna start anyminute, i canae wait!
lol .... There's no beating you ! 😉😉😉

In your face

Moves
21 Nov 09

Well Robbie, you don't get much closer than that!!!!

rc

Moves
21 Nov 09

Originally posted by jimslyp69
Well Robbie, you don't get much closer than that!!!!1
my goodness i never thought that i would see it in my lifetime! Big shout goes out to Bindi, my Aussie friend who changed her national status just for the day! As Crowley stated, are the northern hemisphere teams drawing closer?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
22 Nov 09

ok, so here we have it, the name is French, closely resembling croquet, it was initially played with two stumps and resembles croquet, but that also is just a coincidence and has absolutely no bearing on the matter whatsoever, that is what you are saying? and yes there is firm evidence that Cornish Pasties originated in Devon!
Could it also be that the Normans invaded England, discovered the locals playing this game with a stick, ball and stumps, borrowed the idea took it back home and hey presto you have croquet!!!!

As i've said before which is a point you keep neglecting to take on board. A crocket like game was being played in England before the Norman invasion, and the earliest recorded metion of croquet is in the 1300's.

p

Moves
22 Nov 09

Football
Cricket
Rugby
Snooker
Darts
Tennis
Queensbury rules Boxing
Just a few English invented games for you to mull over while you adjust your hem line on your skirt

😛😛😛
And the " golden chalice " the "Silver bullet " of inventions .
Not even you Robbie can get out of this one !!! ......The English language !!!
Spoken by every Scots man around the world !!! 😀😀😀😀😀

rc

Moves
22 Nov 09
1 edit

And the " golden chalice " the "Silver bullet " of inventions .
Not even you Robbie can get out of this one !!! ......The English language !!!
Spoken by every Scots man around the world !!! 😀😀😀😀😀
In respect of Andy Robinson, who led us to a momentous victory against the Aussies, despite the fact that he is an Angle (none of us can help what we were born), it may be noted that in many places the ancient language of the Celts is spoken, thus, it is only out of respect for the Angles that we communicate in this tongue, for it is well known that they have trouble learning other languages. i myself have a smattering of Gaelic and speak a dialect termed lowland Scots, which is as distinct from English as French is from Belgian.

Noobster once i was in Devon maybe Cornwall for i was dating a rather beautiful girl from Plymouth at the time, but had to reject her because of her Englishness, i went to a pub that was reputed to have a fire burning continuously for more than a hundred years, can you place it? I remember high tea, with clotted cream, jam and fruit scones was quite civilised for England!