FIFA continues to make a joke of itself

FIFA continues to make a joke of itself

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by darvlay
As boring as.... something you've never seen before??
I have seen USA sports before. I just never watch them now. I thought ice hockey was going to be one of the most awesome sports ever and then it came on television here one day many years ago and it was a massive disappointment. I don't want to be dragged into another pointless debate on USA sports vs REST OF WORLD sports because the internet is full enough of that already.

h

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by darvlay
Here. Let me answer:

http://www.rhp15.com/pictures/FacePunched2.gif
"Football really does bring out the worst in a lot of you."

h

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by trev33
clearly there needs to be some sort of refereeing table put in place over the 4 years prior to a world cup with the top 25 or whatever chosen to referee at the world cup, regardless of where they're from.

since technology doesn't seem to brought into football anytime soon to help referees i'd at least like to see only the top refs at the world cup.
The reason why FIFA doesn't want this is the same reason why they won't be using technology to make live decisions.

If you take only the top referees in the world, rather than the top referees by continent, then you will end up excluding many of the poorer nations. It's only an imperfect system in an imperfect world. FIFA does its best to treat every country and every continent equally and therefore it will view a referee from Mali as being just as good as Howard Webb. The same goes for technology, poor countries can't afford it, therefore it is unfair on them to make new rules with which they're unable to comply. Right now the current FIFA rules for the best players in the world can be applied to a match being played on a rubbish pitch in Ethiopia between two teams of u10 children. FIFA is all about the big picture, and if it is at the expense of the rich, then so be it.

h

Moves
22 Jun 10

it' a 'human error' game after all 🙄 part of me hopes for another henry-esque innocent in the final that costs a team the world cup. maybe then fifa might actually look into changing things.
I thought he was innocent too! 😛

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by hopscotch
FIFA is all about the big picture, and if it is at the expense of the rich, then so be it.
*choke*

h

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
*choke*
Hey, it's not my doctrine. It's theirs. I don't completely agree with it. I'm just saying that some things are never going to happen while FIFA is in charge.

Moves
22 Jun 10

Football like all things 'beautiful', is indeed likely to be corrupt within.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Jun 10

Hey, it's not my doctrine. It's theirs. I don't completely agree with it. I'm just saying that some things are never going to happen while FIFA is in charge.
Sepp Blatter, champion of the poor.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by Palynka
X: Individual thinks FIFA ignores past refereeing mistakes when nominating referees.
Y: Individual is a non-fan
Z: Individual is an ignorant fan

If X then X or Z.

Does X apply to you?
Oh dear.

Epic smart ass Fail!

D

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Jun 10

The reason why FIFA doesn't want this is the same reason why they won't be using technology to make live decisions.

If you take only the top referees in the world, rather than the top referees by continent, then you will end up excluding many of the poorer nations. It's only an imperfect system in an imperfect world. FIFA does its best to treat every co ...[text shortened]... FIFA is all about the big picture, and if it is at the expense of the rich, then so be it.
This is an excellent point which many seem to miss.

D

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
22 Jun 10

why would fifa come out and say they're happy with the refereeing of the tournament when clearly a blind man and his guide dog could’ve done a better job? it's worse than saying nothing at all. at least come out and say some refereeing has been below standard and those referees won't officiate in any knockout matches. it's what's going to happen anyway ...[text shortened]... matches you've watched? it doesn't take a genius to work out what the problem is.
I stopped reading at a blind man with a guide dog. No point trying to be sensible with someone so prone for hyperbole.

I'm guessing it's still sour grapes after your exit, so you blame it on FIFA. Do you also think Platini did it?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by Ragnorak
Oh dear.

Epic smart ass Fail!

D
😞

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by Palynka
Do I incessantly go into your baseball threads or create new ones to say I think the whole sport is completely retarded full of fat "athletes" who seem to spend more time munching on some sort of nuts and spitting them out than actually playing the game?

Did your country just get robbed in a World Cup baseball match?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you see my dear friend, the problem is , that you are so used to having decisions explained to you. Take American football for example, the officials confer and the referee explains to the entire stadium via his mouthpiece and the public address system why such and such a decision was reached, what is more, you have the option of challenging aforesa ...[text shortened]... ook at it like the chance card you get in monopoly, sometimes its favourable, sometimes its not.
Red towel.

But either way, there's a human element to every game, of course. But official error is not part of the "human element" of the game. The human element of the game is the players' ability to execute their plays correctly.

To the extent that any sport can reasonably correct or curtail official error and fails to do so, it makes a mockery out of itself. People watch the game to see if their team can outperform the other, not whether their team will get the lucky side of an official's mistake.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
22 Jun 10

Originally posted by sh76
Did your country just get robbed in a World Cup baseball match?
Oh the irony!!!

D