1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 21:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Wrong. Point spreads are to get 50% of the bets on one side and 50% on the other. So they usually merely reflect what the bookies think the betting public believe. All that a 6 point spread in a hypothetical game is saying is that Vegas believes a 6 point spread would even out the bets of the suckers.
    Oh, so Vegas picks handicappers who know what the public thinks, and don't care about results? Vegas would be out of business if that were true.

These guys get awards for being right, and lose their jobs if they are wrong too often.

P-
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 21:291 edit
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Oh, so Vegas picks handicappers who know what the public thinks, and don't care about results? Vegas would be out of business if that were true.

These guys get awards for being right, and lose their jobs if they are wrong too often.

P-
    Do you think handicappers set the point spreads?????

Vegas doesn't care about the game results; if the money is bet evenly, the bookies win. Why do you think the point spreads change? Because the handicappers change their minds?
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 21:36

Vegas doesn't care about the game results; if the money is bet evenly, the bookies win. Why do you think the point spreads change? Because the handicappers change their minds?
    Good point... the lines change depending how people bet.

Hmmm... that's jacked up.

P-
  4. Joined
    18 Apr '04
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 21:401 edit

LOL! Very instructive, N1M. It's amazing what people who bet do not know about the actual mechanics of gambling. Maybe we need a gambling forum.

Successful professional gamblers never gamble, at least not intentionally.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 23:40
    Originally posted by Delmer
    LOL! Very instructive, N1M. It's amazing what people who bet do not know about the actual mechanics of gambling. Maybe we need a gambling forum.

Successful professional gamblers never gamble, at least not intentionally.
    Do you think I bet on sports? Wanna bet?!

😠

P-

😉
  6. over there
    Moves
    04 Dec '06 23:59
    Only two teams from a conference are allowed in BCS games. Wisconsin doesn't deserve crap with the ridiculous out of conference schedule they played. Teams that can't even win their conference don't deserve a title shot. If you crybaby Big Ten fans don't like the fact that Michigan lost at OSU, get your weak sister conference to play a title game at a ne ...[text shortened]... ences do.

You can always watch Michigan getting hammered by USC in the Rose Bowl.
    USC ain't nothin. They lost to two unranked teams, one of them being Oregon St. I never even heard of Oregon State until then!
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 00:03
    I think an eight team playoff would be doable. Take the CHAMPIONS of the 6 BCS conferences - SEC, Big 12, ACC, Big East, Pac-10 and Big Ten - and add two conference champions from the mid-majors and/or the highest rated independents by the BCS formula. Have top seed play weakest seed, etc. etc. This year it would look like this:

Ohio State v. Wake Forest
    Florida v. Notre Dame
    USC v. Oklahoma
    Louisville v. Boise State

2nd round would be highest rated v. lowest rated survivors, etc.

Don't know how you could fit the pre-existing bowls in, though.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 00:081 edit
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    USC ain't nothin. They lost to two unranked teams, one of them being Oregon St. I never even heard of Oregon State until then!
    They're a tougher team than Ball State; they finished 9-4 and won 7 of their last 8 - three against ranked teams.
  9. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 00:35
    I think an eight team playoff would be doable. Take the CHAMPIONS of the 6 BCS conferences - SEC, Big 12, ACC, Big East, Pac-10 and Big Ten - and add two conference champions from the mid-majors and/or the highest rated independents by the BCS formula. Have top seed play weakest seed, etc. etc. This year it would look like this:

Ohio State v. ...[text shortened]... ted survivors, etc.

That is the most moronic list I have ever read.

Where's Michigan???

Boise State should give you an award for talking them up. LOL
  10. over there
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 01:24

Ohio State v. ...[text shortened]... ted survivors, etc.

And Michigan isn't even in there?
  11. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 01:26
    Originally posted by Red Night

Where's Michigan???

No1 said the winners of each of the 6 main divisions, which he listed accordingly.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 04:382 edits

Where's Michigan???

Speaking of morons ........ what part about the CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS did you miss? Boise State's playing in a BCS bowl, in case you missed it. In fact, that "moronic list" contains 8 of the 10 BCS bowl teams, numbnuts.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 04:40
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    And Michigan isn't even in there?
    If you can't win your conference, you don't deserve the shot. Otherwise the regular season would be devalued.
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 04:51
    Speaking of morons ........ what part about the CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS did you miss? Boise State's playing in a BCS bowl, in case you missed it. In fact, that "moronic list" contains 8 of the 10 BCS bowl teams, numbnuts.
    The entire controversy surrounds the question of whether Michigan, which got passed over twice, should have gotten a chance at the title game.

Michigan or Florida: that is what the whole country is debating.

And you come up with a "solution" that leaves Michigan out???

You hae redefined the word ridiculous
  15. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    05 Dec '06 05:012 edits
    The entire controversy surrounds the question of whether Michigan, which got passed over twice, should have gotten a chance at the title game.

Michigan or Florida: that is what the whole country is debating.

And you come up with a "solution" that leaves Michigan out???

You hae redefined the word ridiculous
    Do you actually have an argument, you retard? The people that count decided a rematch FOR THE NATIONAL TITLE was stupid. I agree. If the Big Ten wants rematches, let them play a conference title game on a neutral site. Otherwise, you idiots should STFU.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree