Florida?

Florida?

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by leepound
There are many reasons why teams don't do well in bowl games.
A major one is they are played in warm weather sites like the Rose Bowl which makes it a home game for USC.
Computers mark Florida and Michigan as even. Betters think Michigan is better.
While I don't think Notre Dame is on the level of a top 3 team, if they beat Michigan instead of gett ...[text shortened]... is hard to argue that Michigan does not play a solid schedule and did not have a great year.
I'm expecting that excuse if and when Michigan loses in the Rose Bowl. It's always something.

If Notre Dame would win some big games, they'd be a top team. But it's been years since they have done so. IMO, Wisconsin is a fraud; they played the weakest possible non-conference schedule. We'll see how they do against Arkansas in the CapitalOne; I think they're going to lose and probably by a big margin.

Michigan has had a great year, but the crap in the thread is beyond belief. Every other team has been completely dissed by Michigan loudmouth fans. No one is worthy of the two super teams from the Big Ten, etc. etc. etc. Total BS.

I mention two little tidbits for the crybabies: 1) The last time your superteam took the field they got beat. Some humility would be appropriate. Most of you were saying a month ago how your heros would slap down OSU, so your predictive powers ain't anything to brag about. The people who know the most about college football, think that the Florida-OSU game will be a worthy one for the national championship; perhaps 15 year olds rooting for their local teams should hesitate before announcing an excellent team which played the toughest schedule in the country and lost one close game is going to get "crushed". And:

2) The whining about the BCS is a hoot. In the pre-BCS days, Ohio State would be going to the Rose Bowl as Big Ten champions and Michigan would be shipped off to the Holiday Bowl or some such. Only the existence of the BCS is giving you the chance to claim that you deserve to be anywhere near a game with national championship implications. So stop your crying.

FL

over there

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
I'm expecting that excuse if and when Michigan loses in the Rose Bowl. It's always something.

If Notre Dame would win some big games, they'd be a top team. But it's been years since they have done so. IMO, Wisconsin is a fraud; they played the weakest possible non-conference schedule. We'll see how they do against Arkansas in the CapitalOne ...[text shortened]... o be anywhere near a game with national championship implications. So stop your crying.
Michigan played a great game at OSU. You can't say they didn't. They ran the game on ESPN Classic the Wednesday after the game.The game was also at OSU, and they had to play with an injured safety. It would be another great game if Michigan played in the title game against OSU. Michigan lost their one loss to a better team than any of the other one loss teams did.

FL

over there

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by leepound
There are many reasons why teams don't do well in bowl games.
A major one is they are played in warm weather sites like the Rose Bowl which makes it a home game for USC.
Computers mark Florida and Michigan as even. Betters think Michigan is better.
While I don't think Notre Dame is on the level of a top 3 team, if they beat Michigan instead of gett ...[text shortened]... is hard to argue that Michigan does not play a solid schedule and did not have a great year.
The Rose Bowl is a home game for USC because it is in California.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
Roll the pre-excuses out.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
06 Dec 06

Michigan played a great game at OSU. You can't say they didn't. They ran the game on ESPN Classic the Wednesday after the game.The game was also at OSU, and they had to play with an injured safety. It would be another great game if Michigan played in the title game against OSU. Michigan lost their one loss to a better team than any of the other one loss teams did.
We'll see. I doubt very much if OSU could have stayed unbeaten with Florida's schedule.

FL

over there

Moves
06 Dec 06

We'll see. I doubt very much if OSU could have stayed unbeaten with Florida's schedule.
OSU would kill everyone in the SEC as well as Michigan.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
07 Dec 06

OSU would kill everyone in the SEC as well as Michigan.
Punk kid loudmouth. I suppose Penn State will "crush" Tennessee and Wisconsin will "crush" Arkansas. Bit of advice: don't bet your paper boy money or the change you steal out of your mommy's purse on the Big Ten in bowl games - it's historically a poor investment.

T

Moves
07 Dec 06

you're right...heck, let's go back and award Nebraska the '83/84 National Championship that was won by Miami... after all, how could anyone expect Nebraska to go into the Orange Bowl and beat Miami? I mean, fer cryin' out loud, it was a home game for Miami!

It was ridiculous for anyone to expect Nebraska to win a road game.

T

Moves
07 Dec 06
3 edits

For the record, Michigan's opponents have a combined record of 84-61, a .579 pct. Florida's opponents are a combined 91-66, a .580 pct...

Of course, these records are influenced by non-conference opponents that themselves play in weak conferences..

However, in games against conference opponents, Michigan's Big 10 opponents this year are a combined 56-40, a .583 pct. That includes a very clean 12-0 by Ohio State.

Florida's SEC opponents from this season are a combined 71-38, a .651 pct.

Michigan's non conference opponents were Vanderbilt, Central Michigan, Notre Dame and Ball State.

Florida's were Southern Mississippi, Central Florida, Western Carolina and Florida State.

But with games against Tennessee, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, South Carolina and Arkansas, there's no question who's schedule was more brutal.

Also, the BCS' current rankings show a total of 38 teams... the SEC has seven teams in this group, the Big Ten has four. No question which conference is deeper.

Finally, here is the combined record of conference opponents DEFEATED by Michigan and Florida (in other words, throw out the record of the teams that beat them):

Michigan Big Ten Opponents defeated: 44-40 .524
Florida's SEC Opponents defeated: 61-36 .629

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
07 Dec 06

Do you ever watch sports? Or read about them in the newspaper?

p

Moves
07 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Red Night

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
07 Dec 06

Originally posted by Red Night
Have someone who's not as stupid as you read you the Bloop's post above. Keep in mind that OSU's schedule was even weaker than Michigan's (no Wisconsin and Texas is somewhat lower in the BCS rankings than Notre Dame). And put down your crayons and concentrate; even "special" kids sometimes can be taught.

T

Moves
07 Dec 06
2 edits

...Keep in mind that OSU's schedule was even weaker than Michigan's (no Wisconsin and Texas is somewhat lower in the BCS rankings than Notre Dame)...
True, Wisconsin is ranked 7th in the current BCS rankings, but had they played Ohio State, they would be a two loss team, which would knock them completely from the top ten for sure... Their only decent wins would have been against Penn State and Purdue, which would put them down quite a few notches from 7th...

USC had two loses, but also defeated Arkansas, Nebraska, Oregon, California and Notre Dame.

USC's returning a Notre Dame onside kick for a TD was one of the funnier moments of this season.

FL

over there

Moves
07 Dec 06

No1 you keep whining about non-conference schedules. Michigan's was a lot tougher than Florida's.

T

Moves
07 Dec 06
1 edit

No1 you keep whining about non-conference schedules. Michigan's was a lot tougher than Florida's.
I think everyone can agree that, with the sole exception of Notre Dame, the non-conference opponents of both teams were pretty easy...this year.

Florida State is a traditional power, but they're most certainly in a down period right now, compared to the Gators. Still, the Seminoles would destroy any of Michigan's non-conference opponents with the exception of Notre Dame....

I can understand Florida scheduling some easy games, given the conference opponents they have to play year after year...the Gators used to play Miami every year as an out of conference game, but that series was dropped some years ago.