1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 18:43
    Who, playing in the MLB right now, are locks for the hall of fame when they retire?

Here's who I'm thinking:

Derek Jeter
    Alex Rodriguez
    Manny Ramirez
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Mariano Rivera
    Greg Maddux
    Randy Johnson

On the bubble:

Ivan Rodriguez

Am I missing anyone?
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 19:211 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Who, playing in the MLB right now, are locks for the hall of fame when they retire?

Here's who I'm thinking:

Derek Jeter
    Alex Rodriguez
    Manny Ramirez
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Mariano Rivera
    Greg Maddux
    Randy Johnson

On the bubble:

Ivan Rodriguez

Am I missing anyone?
    Tom Glavine
    Roy Halladay
    John Smoltz
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 19:281 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Tom Glavine
    Roy Halladay
    John Smoltz
    Glavine and Smoltz are good picks. Halladay can't be a given yet though.
  4. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:111 edit
    Glavine and Smoltz are good picks. Halladay can't be a given yet though.
    how many more cy youngs does he have to win?
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:17
    how many more cy youngs does he have to win?
    He's won the same number of Cy Youngs as Barry Zito.

Do you know how many Cy Youngs Nolan Ryan won?
  6. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:341 edit

Here's who I'm thinking:

Derek Jeter
    Alex Rodriguez
    Manny Ramirez
    Ken Griffey Jr.
    Ichiro Suzuki
    Mariano Rivera
    Greg Maddux
    Randy Johnson

On the bubble:

Ivan Rodriguez

Am I missing anyone?
    -Francisco Rodriguez (Even though he's only 26, if he goes even half as strong as he's done so far, I think he'll get in.)

-Joe Nathan (Under-rated, pretty dominant closer. 90% success rate at this point. He also plays for the Twins, who play tons of close games, so he'll get plenty of chances).

-Albert Pujols

-Todd Helton (Probably not on his first try, but I think he'll get in.)

-Frank Thomas

-Jim Thome

-Omar Vizquel

-Carlos Zambrano

Edit: -Roger Clemens
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:42
    He's won the same number of Cy Youngs as Barry Zito.

Do you know how many Cy Youngs Nolan Ryan won?
    More than enough.

I was asking what the minimum is.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:45
    More than enough.

I was asking what the minimum is.
    The minimum is zero, the same number of Cy Youngs won by Nolan Ryan.
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:491 edit
    The minimum is zero, the same number of Cy Youngs won by Nolan Ryan.
    he was robbed, robbed i tells ya.

At some point, if you keep winning cy youngs you have to be put in the Hall i'd say. I mean, what else is there left for Halladay to do in order to get into the Hall?

If he'd been playing on Boston or NY and won 2 or 3 rings, everyone would be saying Hall of Fame, but because he's with the Gays he gets snubbed??

Doesn't seem right
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:54
    At some point, if you keep winning cy youngs you have to be put in the Hall i'd say. I mean, what else is there left for Halladay to do in order to get into the Hall? \
    So winning the Cy Young is the only requirement for being a hall of fame pitcher?
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:54
    If he'd been playing on Boston or NY and won 2 or 3 rings, everyone would be saying Hall of Fame, but because he's with the Gays he gets snubbed??
    This is a fair point.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 20:562 edits
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    -Francisco Rodriguez (Even though he's only 26, if he goes even half as strong as he's done so far, I think he'll get in.)

-Joe Nathan (Under-rated, pretty dominant closer. 90% success rate at this point. He also plays for the Twins, who play tons of close games, so he'll get plenty of chances).

-Albert Pujols

-Todd Helton (Probably not on his ...[text shortened]...

-Frank Thomas

-Jim Thome

-Omar Vizquel

-Carlos Zambrano

Edit: -Roger Clemens
    I'm not at all in favour of electing modern day closers to the hall of fame, it's an overrated plug and play position unless you're a guy like Mo with 80+ innings of stellar relief work in the post-season.

Thomas and Thome are good picks - each have over 500 home runs and lengthy careers. Pujols will be there as well barring any career ending injury or major tailspin. It's way too early to say that Zambrano will be a hall of famer. Vizquel and Helton are big maybes.
  13. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 21:13
    I'm not at all in favour of electing modern day closers to the hall of fame, it's an overrated plug and play position unless you're a guy like Mo with 80+ innings of stellar relief work in the post-season.

Thomas and Thome are good picks - each have over 500 home runs and lengthy careers. Pujols will be there as well barring any career ending injury or m ...[text shortened]... too early to say that Zambrano will be a hall of famer. Vizquel and Helton are big maybes.
    Yeah, but whether you're in favor of it or not, it's still probably going to happen 😉. At least for K-Rod.

I agree it probably is too early to put Zambrano in, but there really aren't really any other starting pitchers other than those listed who could get in (other than Schilling, maybe). He's the most likely to get in out of the starters, I'd say*.

The main thing going for Vizquel is that Ozzie Smith is already in the HOF. They have almost identical careers in terms of stats. I think Vizquel's batting avg. may even be a few points better (not sure).

*I know it's too early to throw these guys in, but Brandon Webb and Tim Lincicum both have good chances. Lincicum threw against the Brewers in one of their only televised games (not on cable) last year, and the dude is scary. Let's hope he gets away from the Giants soon.
  14. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    16 Jul '08 22:12
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Yeah, but whether you're in favor of it or not, it's still probably going to happen 😉. At least for K-Rod.

I agree it probably is too early to put Zambrano in, but there really aren't really any other starting pitchers other than those listed who could get in (other than Schilling, maybe). He's the most likely to get in out of the starters, I'd say ...[text shortened]... n cable) last year, and the dude is scary. Let's hope he gets away from the Giants soon.
    There is unfortunately some Schilling talk. But here in Philly we say that Jamie Moyer has more wins. Moyer has piled up some big stats in his 50 years in the majors.
  15. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 02:27
    Do you mean retire today with only his current accomplishments?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree