1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 15:17
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    How about Pedro Martinez? 3 CY Youngs, over 3000 strikeouts, the best winning percentage in history (I think) and a 2.86 lifetime ERA. Is he out because he has only 212 wins?

Andy Petitte has 211 wins and an 18-7 post season mark. Does he have a shot?
    I agree with Pedro.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 15:191 edit
    Originally posted by uzless
    Please name a 31 year old pitcher in the hall of fame.

Come on, use your head. Halladay will get more wins by time he retires. Then what will your excuse be?
    You do sound like a homer. However, I disagree with no1 that in all probability Halladay won't reach 200 wins. I think it's about a 70-30 shot he'll hit 200.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 15:21
    Please name a modern 31 year old pitcher in the hall of fame.

Come on, use your head. Halladay will get more wins by time he retires. Then what will your excuse be?
    Considering how injury prone he's been over the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if he fell considerably short of 200 wins. My "excuse" will be that his career doesn't merit inclusion in the Hall of Fame.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 15:231 edit
    Considering how injury prone he's been over the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if he fell considerably short of 200 wins. My "excuse" will be that his career doesn't merit inclusion in the Hall of Fame.
    That was years ago. Halladay has been healthy the past 2.5 years.

Halladay definitely has a shot if he can maintain his high level of performance. There is no denying his talent - he is the most economic and efficient pitcher of this era.
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 15:281 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    That was years ago. Halladay has been healthy the past 2.5 years.

Halladay definitely has a shot if he can maintain his high level of performance. There is no denying his talent - he is the most economic and efficient pitcher of this era.
    He was on the DL last May and had to be removed from a game this year because he was hit in the noggin.

"the most economic and efficient pitcher of this era" Pleeze. This only the fifth year he'll win even more than 10 games. Does the name Greg Maddux ring a bell?

Correction: 6th year
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 15:33
    He was on the DL last May and had to be removed from a game this year because he was hit in the noggin.

"the most economic and efficient pitcher of this era" Pleeze. This only the fifth year he'll win even more than 10 games. Does the name Greg Maddux ring a bell?
    He only missed four starts and it was for an appendectomy, fer crying out loud! How does make him injury prone?

Look at Halladay's winning percentage since he became a full-time starter in 2002. Look at his K/BB ratio and look at his ERA. He is an all-star performer year in and year out and he is the only pitcher in the league where it's an even bet he'll pitch a complete game and he usually does it with less than 120 pitches every time.

He is a master of his craft, always controls the speed of the game, always in command of his pitches and always a threat to shut the opponent out.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 15:35
    Alright, no1 - $50 says Halladay hits 200 wins before he retires!
  8. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 15:581 edit
    You do sound like a homer.
    oh right, discount the argument just because i'm a jays fan? Fine, I won't waste my time if that's how it goes. Let the players speak then.

He’s probably the best starter in baseball, I would think,” Jeter said.

"In my opinion, Halladay is going to be a Hall of Fame pitcher," said Youkilis. "He's so unique in today's game."

"Doc is a Hall of Fame-type pitcher," manager Cito Gaston said after Halladay completed his masterpiece.

"You could throw an All-Star team out there" Derek Jeter said, "and I don't think it would have done much against Halladay."

"That's as good as anyone's ever been that I've caught," catcher Rod Barajas marvelled afterward. "It was remarkable. Everything was perfect."

Said Alex Rodriguez: "It's pretty much self-explanatory ... Even if you're swinging the bats and scoring eight or nine runs a game, he could shut you down."

Jeter said. "If you face him four or five times a game, you might see one ball over the middle of the plate."

"And he's a workhorse -- you know he's going to be out there eight innings on every start," Tampa Bay rookie All-Star Evan Longoria said. "If you are hoping you are not going to get that third at-bat versus him, you better change your mind."

He was slated to be the starter in 2005 but he took a Kevin Mench liner of his leg, breaking it. This cost him the all-star start and likely another Cy Young, which would have probably made him a lock for the hall of fame.

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/messages/chrono/9171424/0/0/9175048#ID9175048

Halladay's 33 complete games since 2003 is the most in the major leagues.

5 time All Star

Cy Young Winner

Yet you guys discount all of his accomplishments because I am a jays fan? Typical RHP trash.

😞
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 16:06
    oh right, discount the argument just because i'm a jays fan? Fine, I won't waste my time if that's how it goes. Let the players speak then.

He’s probably the best starter in baseball, I would think,” Jeter said.

"In my opinion, Halladay is going to be a Hall of Fame pitcher," said Youkilis. "He's so unique in today's game."

"Doc is a Hall of Fa ...[text shortened]... shments because I am a jays fan? Typical RHP trash.

😞
    No one cares about complete games.

A bunch of quotes by players after a guy pitches a great game does not a Hall of Famer make.

Homer.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 16:07
    He only missed four starts and it was for an appendectomy, fer crying out loud! How does make him injury prone?

Look at Halladay's winning percentage since he became a full-time starter in 2002. Look at his K/BB ratio and look at his ERA. He is an all-star performer year in and year out and he is the only pitcher in the league where it's an even bet he ...[text shortened]... d of the game, always in command of his pitches and always a threat to shut the opponent out.
    Kevin Brown had better numbers from 1992-98; he ain't making the HOF. http://www.baseball-reference.com/b/brownke01.shtml
  11. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 16:10
    oh right, discount the argument just because i'm a jays fan?
    See edit. I agree with you.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 16:28
    See edit. I agree with you.
    Within a month, Halladay will stub a toe and decide not to pitch the rest of the year. Uzless will claim that his 13 wins entitles him to the Cy Young and immediate induction into the Hall of Fame. Sane people will shake their heads in pity and/or disgust.
  13. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 18:05
    Within a month, Halladay will stub a toe and decide not to pitch the rest of the year. Uzless will claim that his 13 wins entitles him to the Cy Young and immediate induction into the Hall of Fame. Sane people will shake their heads in pity and/or disgust.
    You must be thinking of AJ Burnett.

You must also be the smartest non-mlb player to be able disagree with guys like Jeter/Longoria/Youkilis.

Sane people will stop discussing baseball with you now.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 18:22
    Roy Halladay has a very impressive w/l percentage .667 and he throws a lot of complete games. But 122 wins (only one 20 win season and one Cy Young) is not even close.
  15. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    17 Jul '08 18:551 edit
    Originally posted by jofaz
    Roy Halladay has a very impressive w/l percentage .667 and he throws a lot of complete games. But 122 wins (only one 20 win season and one Cy Young) is not even close.
    Here we go again with the idiot WIN column deciding who gets in and who doesn't.

WINS MEAN NOTHING! Greg Maddux is one of the best pitchers in baseball right now but you wouldn't know it from his Win/Loss record becasue his team sux balls and can't score runs.

If Halladay pitched for the Sox or Yankees, he'd have 50 more wins and you'd all be on your knees with your mouths open hoping he'd walk by you naked so you could make like a circus seal.

He's 31. And when his contract is over in 2 years he'll go to the Yankees and get his 200 wins.

"Since recording win No. 350 on May 10, Maddux is 0-4 with seven no-decisions despite holding opponents to two earned runs or less in eight of those 11 starts. He'd be a much better fantasy option on a better team, and perhaps he'll get that chance as the trade deadline approaches. "

www.yahoo.com

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree